Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Success with our first Egg Weekend...

Options
Sandi_k
Sandi_k Posts: 52
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
So, we were paralyzed with fear. The more we read, the more we felt like we HAD TO DO SOMETHING AWESOME. But we wanted to do a lower-cooking temp set of meals, given the gasket issues.

We watched our DVD yesterday morning, and then ran errands, including a store run, in which we bought some salmon, a veggie basket and some cedar planks.

My cousin was here today, with her 2 kids (7 and 5) so we decided to keep it simple.

Lunch menu:

Turkey burgers (with A-1, egg, bread, white pepper and garlic salt)
Hot Dogs
Brats
Grilled veggies (red and green peppers, broccoli, and some olive oil)

Awesome! Very smoky and flavorful, and the burgers were moist, without being undercooked. DH loved the brats as well. The broccoli was REALLY good - we were a little skeptical about trying cruciferous veggies, but I'd do them that way again for sure.

Dinner menu:
Cedar planked soy/ginger salmon (1/4C soy, 1/4C olive oil, 1/8C raw grated ginger, 1/8C honey for marinade, marinating for 6 hours)
Asparagus in the veggie basket
Brown rice (on the stove)
Mac and cheese (for the kids).

The salmon was SO GOOD! We took the soaked planks and baked them for 5 minutes at 350. The sprayed them with Pam, and loaded up the fish, skin side down. We cooked at 350 for 25 minutes, then let rest before serving. There was no problem with a too-strong cedar flavor, and we didn't have to flip the fish, and the skin didn't permeate the fish either. We did remove the skin before serving...

Asparagus was also awesome - smoky yet not overpoweringly so.

Yay! We will definitely make these meals again.

Comments

• smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    Awesome to hear. Enjoy that egg. There are many things that can be done on it.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Congrats. Sounds like a great day with good eats. 
    As far as veggies, my son (almost 8) loves cauliflower on the egg.
    I love roasted asparagus. It really brings out a different flavor from sauteing.

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket!