Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri Tip

thebtls
thebtls Posts: 2,300
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
The story behind Tri Tip Beef (a.k.a. Triangle Roast): This cut of meat is limited in availability because there is only one per side of beef. Therefore it is typically ground into hamburger or cut into cubes and sold as soup meat. This often over looked piece of meat is not only relatively inexpensive but also very flavorful and has become a favorite amongst the few in the know. The tri-tip roast or steak (also called a triangle roast) is the 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 pounds of meat that sits at the bottom of the sirloin. It has great flavor and tends to be much lower in fat than most cuts of beef i.e., it's a good lean cut of beef.
The thing to remember is that lean also means it will dry out faster so it is recommended that you prepare with a good marinade &/or Rub. Particularly good flavors for tri-tip are Southwestern or Asian. Because tri-tip is lean, be careful not to overcook it, particularly when preparing the full roast. Medium is as far as you should go with this cut. Use a meat thermometer to monitor often during cooking. If you are used to grilling other cuts, this one can throw some grillers off by appearing underdone when it is ready to serve and by the amount it ‘swells’ when cooked.

Santa Maria/Grilled Soy Lime Style – This simple tri tip recipe utilizes a hybrid marinade that is loosely based on a combination of spices picked up from two different recipes.

Ingredients
 2-3 Lb. Tri-tip roast
 Paul Prudhomme’s Magic Seasoning Blends – Meat Magic

Seasoning Marinade:
 2 teaspoons freshly ground 4-color pepper
 1 teaspoon onion powder
 1 Tbls. Garlic powder
 2 Tbls. Sea Salt (fresh ground)
 1 ½ Cups Apple Juice (100% pure juice)
 ¼ Cup Soy Sauce (low sodium)
 2 ½ Tsp. Lime Juice
 1 Tbls. Red Pepper Flakes
 2 Tsp. Worcestershire sauce
 2 Tsp. Cayenne Pepper
 ½ Tsp. Fresh Ground Ginger Root
 Optional: Corn Syrup or Honey (3 Tbls.)

Basting Sauce:
 ½ cup red wine vinegar
 ½ cup vegetable oil (or EVOO) (add garlic powder if you can’t find garlic infused oil) (Continued)

(Continued from Beef Tri-Tip)

Preparation and cooking
1. Mix together all marinade ingredients in a small bowl and pour over the tri tip in a 1 gallon freezer bag. Place in refrigerator for 4-8 hours turning occasionally.
2. Whisk basting sauce ingredients together in a small bowl and set aside for basting.

3. Lightly oil your cooking grid and fire up BGE to T-Rex. Remove from Marinade and pat dry.
4. Rub each side with Paul Prudhomme’s Meat Magic then sear the tri-tip at 600 to 700 degrees for 3-4 minutes per side.

NOTE: This recipe calls for Searing; it is NOT necessary and you can choose to start the cook indirect and get very similar results without searing (cooking time for indirect will increase slightly)

5. Remove seared tri-tip from the BGE, cover it with foil and let it rest while bringing the BGE temperature down to 350 to 400 degrees. Optional: During this cool down period consider adding a few oak chunks to your lump.
6. Now set up BGE for Indirect cooking (plate setter) and return the tri-tip back in the BGE and cook to an internal temperature of 125-130 degrees (approximately 35 minutes) for medium rare, basting with the sauce every 5 to 10 minutes (optional).
7. Return the tri-tip back into the BGE and cook to an internal temperature of 125-130 degrees, basting every 5 to 10 minutes.
8. Remove tri-tip from the BGE, cover it with foil and let it rest 15 minutes; to serve cut into ½” slices against the grain.2

1 Paraphrased from Beef Tri-Tip, One of the best cuts you are probably not buying, By Derrick Riches, About.com Guide 2 this recipe is adapted loosely from Foodnetwork.com’s website; titled “Santa Maria Style BBQ” with lots of input from the gang at EggHeadForum.com
Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Excellent post. Very informative and will help lots of folks. The tri tip is one of my fav cuts to cook. I will do one and have it for lunch sandwiches during the week. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Tri Tip was one of the first roasts I BBQ'd, it is fairly popular in CA, Kinders BBQ in the Bay Area is pretty well known for their tri tip sandwiches.

Great post.
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Stole the recipe a couple years back, the credit is at the bottom ofthe post.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • thebtls - Nice lookin cook!!!

Bys1981 - Kinder's??  In Pleasanton?  Holy cow... we go there!!!  We've also been going to Dickey's BBQ Pit as well!! 

wow - small world!!
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Sandi_k
    Sandi_k Posts: 52
    Hey! We go to Dickey's too - in Livermore.

How many of us *are* there in the East Bay?!  :)
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136

Nice job on the tri-tip thebtls!

Another East Bay egghead here.  The Kinders chain's "famous" sandwich is actually a Ball Tip sandwich.  Like the Tri-tip, the Ball Tip is also cut from the bottom sirloin.  If it wasn't for Kinders, you probably couldn't find any ball tip in the area. 

XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    thebtls - Nice lookin cook!!!

Bys1981 - Kinder's??  In Pleasanton?  Holy cow... we go there!!!  We've also been going to Dickey's BBQ Pit as well!! 

wow - small world!!
    Hey! We go to Dickey's too - in Livermore.

How many of us *are* there in the East Bay?!  :)

Nice job on the tri-tip thebtls!

Another East Bay egghead here.  The Kinders chain's "famous" sandwich is actually a Ball Tip sandwich.  Like the Tri-tip, the Ball Tip is also cut from the bottom sirloin.  If it wasn't for Kinders, you probably couldn't find any ball tip in the area. 

I actually go to the Kinders in Hercules, Pleasant Hill, or Benicia depending where I am - or the Kinders in O.Co.

You're right R2Egg2Q, ball tip is there sandwich, I always mix up the two!

I am born and raised in the East Bay and now I live in Vallejo, but my dad still lives there. 

Funny stuff!

Sorry thebtls, totally hijacked your thread!
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Great info on that cut of meat. 
    Personally I never heard of it until I started watching some cooking & BBQ shows. 
    It's not a cut you usually find here in the NE. Or it's labeled as something else. 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    Costco always has tri tips out here, do they not in the rest of the country? Also from the east bay, live in Clayton.
    George