Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First planked salmon

Options
eggo
eggo Posts: 492
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
My fears of ruining some good salmon were unfounded. I soaked the cedar planks for a couple of hours before starting the fire. Heated the egg to 400 degrees and let stabilize. Put the planks on til they smoked a little. Took the planks off and applied EVOO to the top side and placed the salmon on the planks and then on to the grill. Cooked the salmon to 135 degrees meat temp and pulled. I sliced some lemons but forgot to use them (excited). The salmon turned out great, was moist, and tasted delicious. It was wild caught Alaskan sockeye from Sam's Club. Hope I can get the pics to post.
Eggo in N. MS

Comments

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    They look great. I disliked the cedar flavor with the salmon personally, and I am looking for alder planks to give them a try. Depending on where you are in the summer keep your eye out for the traveling roadshows at your local Sams. When they come they sell ahi tuna sashimi grade for $9.99/lb which for me is 50% off.
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    We made this just last week. It was delicious! I used Orange zest in the glaze and the Orange flavor really mixed well with the cedar smoke.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • eggo
    Options
    Don't know if the seasoning was dominant or what, but we didn't taste any cedar in the salmon.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • eggo
    Options
    They look great. I disliked the cedar flavor with the salmon personally, and I am looking for alder planks to give them a try. Depending on where you are in the summer keep your eye out for the traveling roadshows at your local Sams. When they come they sell ahi tuna sashimi grade for $9.99/lb which for me is 50% off.
    Sounds good. Do they run ads for the roadshow?
    Eggo in N. MS
  • TripleD
    TripleD Posts: 14
    Options
    Bys1981

I just bought Alder planks from overstock.com. I believe they were 8 for $24. Can't wait to try them out.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    Never thought of putting olive oil on the top of the planks before the fish, but never had any stick before either (I've always used skin-on salmon).  
    Give alder a try, there's a pretty big difference!  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• eggo
    Options
    Noticed alder is available on Amazon. I'll give it a try.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Sounds good. Do they run ads for the roadshow?
    That I do not know.. I had just stopped in at Sam's Club one day and saw the guy cutting 3 huge tuna's up.  He cut me a piece and then I had to buy a few slabs to sear.  I could have ate them raw easily. 
  • bariccardi
    Options
    I did some planked tilapia last night. Turned out amazing. Fish was so moist
  • burr_baby33
    burr_baby33 Posts: 503
    Options
    Salmon on the egg is so good. I personally like to cook it skinless around 400 with a big alder chunk smoldering, seasoned with raging river and maple syrup. Cooks very quickly, flip once and you are done. Had it last night. Makes it even better that I caught it.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    Burr Baby, do you have any trouble with the fish sticking, especially with a maple syrup coating?  Sure sounds delicious!  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    skin -on salmon slides right off, leaving the skin behind

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • burr_baby33
    burr_baby33 Posts: 503
    Options
    Stike is right, skin comes off easily. I just prefer to take the skin off before the cook. That way I also trim off that grey flesh that has a strong taste. I put the fillet direct on the grid. Does not stick even with maple syrup. Skin or skin off, plank or no plank, can't beat salmon on the egg.