Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small BGE Owners

Options
cazzy
cazzy Posts: 9,136
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
My damper on my large slides pretty stiff and is obviously pretty air tight when closed.  My small slides really loose and even when closed completely, I can see light on the inside.  I can pull it a tad towards me so it seems like the rail is a hair too big.  I'm curious if this is by design or if I might have a defective damper.

Thoughts?
Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    Good question, the dampers on my Large and Small match yours; I've wondered too if something could be done to tighten up the Small (don't think its defective).  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options

My Small was the same way.  I recall others mentioning this and some folks tightened the slides by tapping on them with a wood block & mallet.  Here's an old post that asks the same question and a pic of someone's Egg with the slides flattened: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/140109

I took another approach and had the damper "door" out once (to hook up a Stoker fan) and flattened the curve of the door slightly.  That created some resistance in the slide but it doesn't really help with sealing off the air (but I don't really have a problem with this).

XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options
    Yep, the damper on my small is loose also. I was thinking of tapping it a little. What about your dfmt for it? It seems like mine fits different, like it should be a little bigger.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • cazzy
    Options
    Thanks for the quick responses guys! She's losing her virginity tonight and I was a lil stumbled w/ the damper.

I'll try tappity tap tap! ;)
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Options
    On my small the slider is loose also and the dfmt is not a good fit either. On the dfmt I am going to take a dremel to it to make it a little larger. I have put some gasket material on the green cap to make it fit tigter.  I will then tighten the slider.
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options

My DFMT is pretty tight yet has a slight wobble to it.  It seems like either the DFMT or the part of the dome it sits on is slightly out of round. 

Dave - Please let us know if the dremel on the DFMT works for you.  Have you cooked on your Small yet?

Looking forward to seeing some cooking on the Small from you new Small owners.

XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • thechief96
    Options

R2Egg2Q

I haven't fired it up yet but soon.

• Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options
    Yeah both the tops on the small worry me when I open the lid. I feel comfortable with my large, but it's hard to make myself trust the ones on the small.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • thechief96
    Options
    After the install of the gasket to the interior of the cap (I have done this to all my eggs) I dont worry about it any longer.
  • cazzy
    edited March 2012
    Options
    I tried to install the gasket but it didn't fit after that. My DFMT is actually a perfect fit. A little tighter fit than my large but very stable and doesn't wobble at all. 

@R2Egg2Q She's going right now. I'll post pics later tonight. Breaking her in with a spatchcock chicken.