Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First try at ABT's tonight, need advise!!!

Options
wyleeboy
wyleeboy Posts: 9
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
Want to make ABT's tonight and need some ideas or recipes. Thanks

Comments

• DevDave
    DevDave Posts: 40
    Options
    ABT's are fairly foolproof with any idea you have for a flavor profile. One I make often consists of cooking up some chorizo in a pan and mixing it into creamcheese, maybe add some garlic or chili powder if I want. Filling the peppers and dropping in a chicken sausase wrapping with maple thick cut bacon, and smoking in hickory. They are always a hit.
  • wyleeboy
    wyleeboy Posts: 9
    Options

Thanks DD, I was thinking temp at 400 indirect for 45 min.?

• EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    Options

Thanks DD, I was thinking temp at 400 indirect for 45 min.?

I just take off when the bacon is crispy.  They are your own personal timer!!!!    
    Large BGE

• Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options
    I like to cook mine slower to ensure lots of smoke flavor and  I like pecan best.
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • tnbarbq
    tnbarbq Posts: 248
    Options
    wear latex gloves and goggles. DO NOT RUB YOUR EYES OR SCRATCH YOUR NOSE ONCE YOU START FIXING THE ABT'S.  Buy extra Tums and toiletpaper.
    Scooter 
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge
  • eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    Options
    What are ABTs?
    Eggo in N. MS
  • EggRacer
    EggRacer Posts: 400
    Options
    What are ABTs?
    Atomic Buffalo Turds. Made with jalapeños, cream cheese, some form of meat (chorizo, pulled pork, pepperoni, lil smokies....) your favorite rub or rubs and wrapped in bacon.
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • eggo
    Options
    Thanks. Bet they taste better than they sound.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • EggRacer
    edited March 2012
    Options
    This is what they look like.

XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • eggo
    Options
    Looks tasty. Whats in the pan with the little smokies and onions?
    Eggo in N. MS
  • EggRacer
    Options
    Beer.
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    wear latex gloves and goggles. DO NOT RUB YOUR EYES OR SCRATCH YOUR NOSE ONCE YOU START FIXING THE ABT'S.  Buy extra Tums and toiletpaper.
    Or other sensitive areas. A mistake you will only make once.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• DevDave
    DevDave Posts: 40
    Options

Comeon... Jalepeno's are not that bad...if I was working with Habenero's or maybe even some strong Serrano's...maybe I'd wash my hands extra good.

Here were our ABT's that were wrapped in extra thick Maple Bacon and smoked in Hickory - they are always a hit.

• pswarren
    pswarren Posts: 98
    edited March 2012
    Options
    I just put together 48 ABTs for a BGE demo tomorrow. I chopped up my smokies and mixed with my cream cheese to make a nice pink paste. Filled the peppers, wrapped in bacon and season half with BB Butt Rub and the other with Blues Hog. I am guessing 30-45 minutes at 350ish.
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    Options
    god they take forever. My lady and I usually assembly line them. Easiest to clean the jap's with a melon baller or teaspoon. I like to mix up whatever smoked meat i have, chicken, chopped brisket, pulled pork....or just sauté up some chop meat with garlic and onions.  after that, mix up softened cream cheese, run the pack under hot water for a couple minutes, shredded cheddar, your favorite rub and the meat. Put it in a ziploc freezer bag and clip off a corner to make a make shift piping bag. Fill up the jap's so they're mounded over, than wrap with THICK bacon, the thin stuff never covers right. 

Proportion wise, i usually do 2 packs of cream cheese to almost a bag of shredded cheddar. Usually about 2 dozen whole jalepenos, split = 48. Base the amount of bacon on that #. Extra bacon never goes to waste.
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    Options
    OOPS....I dust the outside with some rub...I cook them 350 ELEVATED direct till the bacon's crispy, than the last 5 minutes i put some diluted with vinegar bbq sauce on them. They DISAPEAR every time.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I have allergies and rubbed my eyes after working with ABTs. That was a mistake I will NEVER make again. I had to fill a sink up with water and dunk my face to flesh my eyes. Hurt like a son of a....
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • KingRover
    KingRover Posts: 115
    Options
    How do you get the ABT's some kick. I made mine in jalepenos and put in the mix, wrapped in bacon. Delicious flavor..but missing the kick. Suggestions?
    Did you clean out the seeds?
  • Ottawa_Eggman
    Options
    Most of the heat of jalapenos resides in the seeds and white ribs on the
    inside of the pepper.  If you want flavor but not too much heat, remove
    them by halving or quartering the pepper and cutting them out with a
    paring knife.  I like to leave about half of the ribs for a little kick.
  • allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    Options
    How do you get the ABT's some kick. I made mine in jalepenos and put in the mix, wrapped in bacon. Delicious flavor..but missing the kick. Suggestions?
    Sirracha makes everything better.  Smooth educated heat that is not too scalding.
    Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook