Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Puffy Tacos (7 pics)

Howdy_Doody
Howdy_Doody Posts: 168
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
Who is this Village People guy that goes around wokking everything? (Is he the Indian or the Construction Worker?).  Don't he know that the only TRUE Amurican cuisine is Tex Mex?

So, to teach him a thang or two, I'm going to show him tonight's cook - Puffy Tacos.  The taco meat is hamburger, garlic, jalapeño, onion, cayenne, cilantro, chili powder, salsa, Mexican oregano, cumin, and a couple of other things.  Taco shells are Masa Harina, water and salt.

Dripping Springs, Texas

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Whatever! I bet that salsa was made in New York City! SO THERE!!!!!!!!
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Howdy_Doody
    Whatever! I bet that salsa was made in New York City! SO THERE!!!!!!!!
    Careful, Drill Sergeant !
    Dripping Springs, Texas
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Nice lookin'!  I use the same stuff for my shells but have always cooked them on cast iron "dry".  
    Gonna give that a try.  Thanks for posting.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• travisstrick
    My wife worked at Taco Bell for 8 years through high school and college. I'll give you a pass on the salsa.
  • Howdy_Doody
    edited March 2012
    pssst.  Travis.  It's me !  Your next door neighbor at Salado.

The salsa brand is "On The Border", made in Dallas TX.
    Dripping Springs, Texas
  • travisstrick
    Shhhhhhhh! I thought it was run for the border. As in, Taco Bell. I like the puppet reference :D
  • Howdy_Doody
    Well, Travis.  There's one thing I hate worse than a trainee, and that's my ;............didn't join the.WACS.
    Dripping Springs, Texas
  • NightwingXP
    NightwingXP Posts: 448
    Very good HD. Great lookin tacos!!  Show that Village person a thang or two about the true American cuisine!! I still love to Wok it though! 

;)
    Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!
  • WarrGo
    WarrGo Posts: 3
    Have you ever had Indian tacos? I had them in OK
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    HD your food and your pictures are truly outstanding. I used to have a friend who could do a post like that but he stopped posting. I guess my friend was an idiot. I will miss him. You want to be best buds?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Does that happen to be a Griswold skillet?
    Dunedin, FL
  • JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551
    Awesome. Gonna have to try this one.... Thanks for sharing.
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Looks great HD!  Props to you for a awesome looking meal!!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Howdy_Doody
    edited March 2012
    Does that happen to be a Griswold skillet?
    Yzzi.  The one that we cooked the shells in is a Griswold, and it's my wife's grandmother's skillet.  The other one doesn't have a brand name on the back and I don't remember it's origin. The weights feel the same, so it might be very old also.  Two of my other skillets have "Lodge" imprinted on the back, so I'm guessing the others are old too.

Dripping Springs, Texas
  • Howdy_Doody
    HD your food and your pictures are truly outstanding. I used to have a friend who could do a post like that but he stopped posting. I guess my friend was an idiot. I will miss him. You want to be best buds?
    Sure, Mickey.  We can be BFF.   :x
    Dripping Springs, Texas
  • horseflesh
    horseflesh Posts: 206
    That lineup of cast iron is a family treasure. 
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    awesome cook.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Wow, that skillet collection looks even better than the tacos. I was introduced to cast iron when I got an emril one for our wedding (it actually has been a great skillet after many seasonings) . I realized have found several wagners and griswold at antique markets and flea markets that were in awful condition and spent time restoring them. Glad to see them in use once again instead of being trashed. Now I give them away as gifts as I think I have enough. Hopefully my kids will enjoy them as much as I have.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Yzzi,

Cast iron skillets not only are fantastic cookware that have, usually, been seasoned for many decades to being nonstick, but also are historic artwork that contain many secrets of years gone by.  Skillets and dutch ovens accompanied the pioneers in their journey west, and are cherished by many families for the history they hold. 

I can't think of any other item that binds us to our past as much as these cast iron cookware, because we can still use them just as they did a century and more ago.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    I want one of those tortilla makers.... 
  • Village Idiot
    I want one of those tortilla makers.... 
    We were at a wedding in San Miguel de Allende about 5 years ago. I bought it at a market and schlepped it all over town.  It works soooooo much better than those cheap metal presses.  You can buy one on the internet.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852

We were at a wedding in San Miguel de Allende about 5 years ago. I bought it at a market and schlepped it all over town.  It works soooooo much better than those cheap metal presses.  You can buy one on the internet.
    Hey........
    This is an HD thread! 
    VI, if you have a tortilla press, maybe you should post a pic. 

;)

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Village Idiot
    edited March 2012
    Taz,

It's in the second picture.  As far as HD, my wife was no more impressed with that name than VI, so I thought I'd return to the name my mama gave me when she first looked into my eyes.
    :D

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• tazcrash
    edited March 2012
    My mother had one (as iron pan) that was given to her from her great aunt, It made the trip to the U.S. from Italy all encrusted on the outside. The last time I saw it, the bottom was so smooth it looked like a piece of obsidian. There was a lot of great food cooked on that thing. 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • Village Idiot
    Wow.  I didn't know the Italians had such a machine.  I guess they use it to make flat pastas like cannelloni, lasagna, etc.  

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Village Idiot
    edited March 2012
    For my new toy, I bought a molcajete yesterday.  It's dawned on me that I like old cooking methods the most ... cast iron skillets, molcajetes (hundreds of years old from the Aztecs), woks, and even the Big Green Egg (3,000 year old technology).

You can make the best guacamole and salsa, using a molcajete.  It will take a very long time to properly season it though.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• tazcrash
    My mother had one that was given to her from her great aunt, It made the trip to the U.S. from Italy all encrusted on the outside. The last time I saw it, the bottom was so smooth it looked like a piece of obsidian. There was a lot of great food cooked on that thing. 
    Wow.  I didn't know the Italians had such a machine.  I guess they use it to make flat pastas like cannelloni, lasagna, etc.  
    LOL, boy did  mess that one up!!!!! I meant a cast iron fry pan. 

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • Village Idiot
    edited March 2012
    =))

Now, it all comes clear.  I was wondering why a tortilla press would have a smooth bottom, and why you would want to cook on a tortilla press.

Dripping Springs, Texas.