Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Competition BBQ Teams?

Options
joe@bge
joe@bge Posts: 394
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum

Anybody out there participate or start a competition BBQ Team?  If so, where do you compete?  I have been toying around with the idea and thinking of trying to locate a team in the St Louis area that I could mentor with.  Also interested in what it takes to compete - all aspects.  I have poked around another forum that has a lot of KCBS teams and it seems like something I would love to do.

Comments

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    edited March 2012
    Options

We are an All Big Green Egg Team here in California.  We've got 75 KCBS events under our belt and have fun everytime out.  Be careful, it can get expensive though.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    All it takes is $$$$$.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options
    I love the idea - I know I would learn alot - just hard to see spending the time as busy work is.
    Cookin in Texas
  • stilllaughing
    Options

Joe,

Call St Louis Home Fires (636-256-6564) out on Manchester Rd. Ask for Frank. He is the president of the St Louis BBQ Society and they put on the biggest bbq competion in the area in Wildwood every September.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Hey Joe. Good advice already. Once you find a team who needs the help, just be ready to wash dishes, stay up late watching the pit, and running the boxes to turn ins.  Be ready to be a beotch, and watch more than you talk, and you'll learn a lot.

Good luck!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    Options
    we're on our 4th year competing. First year was 2 weber kettles and a excel pro-q 20. Next year, same set up. 3rd year, sponsored by a butcher, so that took a chunk of the $$$ out of it. This year we've got an egg, still have the butcher sponsorship, and our local egg dealer is loaning us an egg and giving us all the charcoal we need. It's a great hobby. Gets very expensive, your first year is definitely the most buying tents and table and etc. even with the sponsorship we still spend over $500 each comp between entrance fees and ancillary. Its a 3 man team, i front the entrance fees. The other 2 guys buy the booze and ancillaries. Rubs sauces gas, it all adds up. If we win we cover what we laid out and hopefully have enough to go out to a nice dinner we didn't have to cook.

best way to get your feet wet is go visit a local comp, talk to everyone, and i mean EVERYONE! we learned more our first comp from the people there than we would have ever tried to learn on our own.
  • joe@bge
    Options
    Thanks for all the advise...I will check out STL Homefires and see what I can find out.  I knew it would take some $$$, but $500 per comp?  Wow...what are the average entry fees? 
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    500 is on the low end, Joe. Average entry fees with electric are $250. Add, meat, charcoal, gas, marinades, rubs....then you'll want a trailer.

Pat has good advice. Go visit a competition. Fridays are best. Bring a cooler of beer, and go visit teams. You can tell who is ready for guests and who isn't, but nearly everyone is willing to help out new teams. 

Good luck!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • joe@bge
    Options
    Thanks Nature Boy...I guess you have to pay to play.  B-)