Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need Suggestions... Cooking for 60 on Sunday...

koster88
koster88 Posts: 3
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
Having a Kids birthday party on Sunday, although there will be lots of adults.  Prob cooking for 50-60 people.    I was gonna do something easy like order something, but that takes the fun out of it.   Plus I tell all my friends about the big Green Egg, so now is a time to show it off (And the new Table I just built)  ;)    So.... I could use some suggestions.   I'm thinking about lots of finger foods.   Not Steaks,  Ribs, or stuff like that.  Something I can prepare the night before...have them all ready...and start grilling/passing out.    

Love to hear your suggestions, and I'll follow up with pics from the party Sunday night!    

Thanks for all your help.

P.S.   I'm 1 year Egg guy, and not an expert.  So nothing too too hard.   

Comments

• I'd do pulled pork.  It always comes out good and goes a long way.  Whip up some coleslaw and beans and everybody will like it.
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273

Not sure what size Egg.   But say on a large.

You could do a couple of boston butts for pulled pork.   Kinda plan it so those come off 3-4 hours in advance - foil it and ice chest it.  Then throw some sausage on - same temp, indirect, let it go for an hour or so.   Then bring the heat up some - do some variation of ABT's.    That would produce a lot of food.   By the time you add in sides could feed that number 

Cookin in Texas
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    What they said. And Saturday night Mass not a bad idea with 60 kids [-O<
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• koster88
    koster88 Posts: 3
    I was thinking more along the line of skewers, and like pork loin sliders..   lots of different little things.   I've never done a boston butt before, so I guess I'm nervous.  I cant fail on sunday...
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Boston butt is the most forgiving thing you can put on the egg IMO. Prett hard to mess up. I would throw on two butts cook them to 195 internal and cooler for a few hours. Then turn the heat up and cook some beef sliders and ABTs. Once these done, serve them hot while you are pulling the pork. If you have some little kids, throw on a pizza or two for them if you have enough fuel. Good luck
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I think your own ideas, skewers & pork loin sounds pretty good. And I too would be nervous about preparing something for the first time. But 60 people are a lot to cook for at once. How well will skewers of whatever hold, so you can cook in advance? Maybe marinade & pre-cook pieces of meat, then thread them on skewers an hour before the guests arrive?

There was a thread the other day about the proper way to cook brats. Several people strongly endorsed grilling them, and then keeping them warm in a beer and sauteed onion bath. You could have a pot of them Egg-side, ready to warm as people wanted them, and maybe a foil pan filled with butter browned onions to fill up the buns.

You do have to learn to do PP. Other than a whole hog, its what makes a big BBQ party possible.

Good luck!
  • DOCED
    DOCED Posts: 69
    If there are going to be alot of kids then good old hotdogs are quick,cheap and good on the egg and most kids love the "portability" factor.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    What age kids?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379

I'm always nervous about a first time cook, but my first butt came out incredible.  I bet if asked everyone on the fourm, the percentage of success on butts the first time is extreemly high.  You almost can't screw one up.

George

George
  • EggRacer
    EggRacer Posts: 400
    edited March 2012
    I'd just cook 360 ABT's but that's just me. :-) Wings, brats, hot dogs, and/or burgers would all work well. Carve up some thin steak in small chunks and skewer it with some mushrooms, bell pepper, onion, pineapple chunks etc... for some good kabobs.
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • +1 on the butt. It will be the easiest most productive cook you can do. I believe you can cook up to four butts on a large.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• If they are younger kids smaller food causes less waste. Go to Sam's or COSTCO and get some pre-made sliders and dollar rolls. Add some hot dogs and brats. When we cater things like golf tournaments we put the hot dogs & brats in pans of simmering liquid until done. We use low sodium chicken broth or a mixture of broth & water. We use beer, onions and peppers for the brats but not when kids are eating them. Then we throw them on the grill to char/crisp them up and mark them. It's easy to keep up with and you can cook as you go so there's not a lot leftover.

• boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    If you can keep the fire going - manage the temp - you will do fine
    Cookin in Texas
  • reh111
    reh111 Posts: 196
    I would do a pork butt the night before (or from early morning until the time of the party, depending on what time the party is) and then do burgers/sliders and/or dogs during the party - give the adults the pulled pork BBQ and the kids the burgers and dogs - everyone will be happy, and:

on the pork butt - it really is forgiving - put some rub on it and just cook it at whatever temp you want, up to about 350, until the internal temp is 190-200, then take it off, wrap it in foil and a towel and throw in a cooler until about 30 minutes before they want to eat - pull it apart and mix with sauce and serve it on burger buns with cole slaw and beans like suggested before
  • scooter759
    scooter759 Posts: 257

With that many people you probably want to keep it simple. I suggest you do some pork butts in advance (always a hit) so you can won them with that low and slow smokey flavor. For during the party I would suggest chicken wings. I've done these quite a few times and it keeps with the simple theme. Cut the flap off the wings, season with your desired seasonings (I like a sweet rub), place on a lined cookie sheet (or sheets) and bake in the oven at 425 for 25-30 mins (longer if your more than one sheet at a time). Put them in a cover foil pan and take em to your egg and cook direct for a few minutes per side, basting with your preference of sauces. To stay with the keep it simple theme, I use Sweet Baby Ray's Wing Sauce (fairly mild and a little sweet, you can always add some Frank's to add heat), Lawry's Carribean Jerk Marinade, and one of our favorites is a 50/50 mixture of Heinz 57 and honey (that one has never failed me). Another option, after they are baked, dip em in melted butter and dust with lemon pepper/curry powder/Lawry's seasoning, anything that strikes you. Just baste em on the egg and cook long enough to crust on the glazes. I do this a lot for adult parties, but I straighten out the wings and thread them onto  bamboo shewers soaked in water, but I wouldn't recommend sharp pointy skewers around a bunch of sugared up kids..

Anyway, the sauces are your discretion. My point here is this menu allows you to wow em with pulled pork BBQ, your wings will for the most part be cooked and you can hang out around your egg and new table with beer and tongs/brush in hand and still push quite a few wings in a short period of time and still socialize.

Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • JoeA
    JoeA Posts: 31
      Consider a couple of pulled pork butts.  Follow Naked Whiz's instructions, takes all the guess work out.  If you are nervous try one Friday over night makes a great chili for Sunday.  Can't go wrong with shrimp/chicken on a skewer. 

Good luck!