Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

You guys aren't going to believe this...(pics)

Options
OLD NORTH STATE BBQ CO.
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum

So I occasionally query "Big Green Egg" on Craigslist and stumbled on this listing:

Big Green Egg, Extra Large, accessories - $75 (Virginia Beach)

For Sale as a lot ONLY - nothing separate - Extra large Big Green accessories, all like new, to include:
- metal cart with castors
- cover
- pizza baking stone (never used; BRAND NEW)
- half round, two tier wire rack (never used; BRAND NEW)
- cleaning tool
- vented top and solid top
- fire box
- plate setter
- electric coal starter<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I just so happen to be in the market for an XL, so I absolutely couldn't pass this up.  The poor guy owned the XL for a little over a year.  I of course wanted to know what had happened to the BGE.  I got nauseous as he described the demise the massive ceramic cooker.  So this poor fellow was PUSHING (not pulling) the Egg into his shed in preparation for a storm.  As he pushed it up a wood ramp, it tipped over and cracked.  I asked if I could see the egg in its current condition, and he told me broke it with a sledge hammer so it would fit in his trash can.  At this point I think I threw-up in my mouth.  I didn't have the heart to tell him the cracked half could be purchased separately from the mother ship. He's clearly not a forum member. I paid him and ran away like I stole something.   

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r626/jpeterman1979/9cd24ec6.jpg

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    SCORE!!!!  Congrats!
    That IS a sad story, though...

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    I watch craigslist for this exact reason. When I first got my egg I was reading everything online for a few weeks I could find. I stumbled across a large egg complete no accessories thirty minutes from my house. $100. Called the guy. The ad was three weeks old and that egg was gone lol. now I check every day.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• OLD NORTH STATE BBQ CO.
    Options
    I watch craigslist for this exact reason. When I first got my egg I was reading everything online for a few weeks I could find. I stumbled across a large egg complete no accessories thirty minutes from my house. $100. Called the guy. The ad was three weeks old and that egg was gone lol. now I check every day.
    I had a similar expereince.  Tried to jump on a Large w/ accessories for $500.   Called two hours after posting, but was too late.  Brutal. 

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

I have a neighbor who has an Egg.   Before I got mine, he was having a neighborhood party -- knowing that I cooked alot - he asked if I would do some BBQ.    Knowing that I was going to get one - and dying to cook on one - I said sure if I could use his Egg.    He replied - "sure"  - but you won't like it - the fire either goes out or goes to 7 or 800 degrees.    He went on to say - they have burned some steaks on it - but really don't use it, still have half of the original bag of charcoal that the dealer had included.   They bought a gasser and used it most of the time.

I cooked on it - didnt have much experience with heat management on an Egg - but thats when I first found this forum.   Read alot from here - and wound up with a pretty decent cook of a couple of BB's.

My point of the story is this.  A lot of people go buy these - then think they operate like a standard charcoal grill.   They don't spend any time learning how it works or why it is different - give up quickly and the are ready to get rid of.    I havent monitored Craigs List - but I bet there are some bargains out there.

OP - good catch on yours - definately a bargain.

Cookin in Texas
  • Eggucated
    Eggucated Posts: 213
    Options
    I was a member here for at least three months before I could talk my wife into one! The anticipation was a killer! I can't imagine owning an Egg and not at least lurking here for expert information!
    Thanks, Mike "Live in such a way that if anyone should speak badly of you, no one will believe it."
  • fbama
    fbama Posts: 5
    Options
    Congrats on the nice score.
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    The green egg is a relatively extravagant purchase so you would think that most people would do a bit of research before spending their hard earned money on one.  If I had trouble cooking after the purchase I would have put a bit of effort into finding out how to improve.  I was lucky the first meal I cooked, ribs, my wife said were the best she ever had.  I had been smoking with an offset smoker for 2+ years and had success with it but also had some disappointing results.

Gerhard
  • NightwingXP
    NightwingXP Posts: 448
    Options
    Excellent Haul!! Congrats!!
    Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!
  • NightwingXP
    NightwingXP Posts: 448
    Options
    (searching CL right now ! )

:D
    Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    The only problem is they will charge you $700 plus for a new base and dome. I was in the tucker store one day when a guy was buying a new XL base for about $500 cause he tipped his over. You can get a demo XL with a warranty for $829 at the ga mountain eggfest.
  • centex99
    centex99 Posts: 231
    Options
    I got my used XL for $450 with nest, side tables (wood), and plate setter... next day, scored a table+cover for $50!
  • Bubba12803
    Options
    This is kind of ironic. I just joined this site because I have just purchased my first BGE (large) from someone locally on Craigslist for $50.00. The egg came set in a wooden wheeled table. The dome is cracked and the lower vent door is missing but I can replace those easy enough. I was so excited because I have always wanted to use a BGE. Now I can't wait to get it all fixed up so I can use it. I will have to take some before and after photos and post them.
  • Millsy
    Millsy Posts: 113
    Options

I have a neighbor who has an Egg.   Before I got mine, he was having a neighborhood party -- knowing that I cooked alot - he asked if I would do some BBQ.    Knowing that I was going to get one - and dying to cook on one - I said sure if I could use his Egg.    He replied - "sure"  - but you won't like it - the fire either goes out or goes to 7 or 800 degrees.    He went on to say - they have burned some steaks on it - but really don't use it, still have half of the original bag of charcoal that the dealer had included.   They bought a gasser and used it most of the time.

I cooked on it - didnt have much experience with heat management on an Egg - but thats when I first found this forum.   Read alot from here - and wound up with a pretty decent cook of a couple of BB's.

My point of the story is this.  A lot of people go buy these - then think they operate like a standard charcoal grill.   They don't spend any time learning how it works or why it is different - give up quickly and the are ready to get rid of.    I havent monitored Craigs List - but I bet there are some bargains out there.

OP - good catch on yours - definately a bargainI  

I got mine from a guy who couldnt use it either.It was used 3 times and he sold it to me for half price.I think he had the same trouble with fire control.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    lotta people just aren't that smart
    :-/
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • smoloney
    smoloney Posts: 30
    Options
    if anyone is interested there is a medium on craigslist in danville nc for $400, found it yesterday looking around
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    They weren't replying to emails last month on that Danville egg.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Jameson19
    Jameson19 Posts: 354
    Options
    My butcher saw one for sale at a local yard sale. The lady said they got it as a wedding gift and neither knew how to use it. It had a price tag on it for $75, he offered her $50 and she took it. Now my butcher shop runs always come with a reminder of his $50 XL BGE....

Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, Small BGE, 2 BBQ Guru's, 18" WSM, Rockwood, Stage 3 Roush Mustang and a hot wife... 

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    $50...holy fricken wow.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    Lol, I just love the fact that he talked him down by a third on an already incredible price.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • OLD NORTH STATE BBQ CO.
    edited March 2012
    Options
    My butcher saw one for sale at a local yard sale. The lady said they got it as a wedding gift and neither knew how to use it. It had a price tag on it for $75, he offered her $50 and she took it. Now my butcher shop runs always come with a reminder of his $50 XL BGE....

Amazing story. Thanks for sharing. There are some amazing deals out there. I guess you just have to look for them.

Med & XL

• GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    Options
    I have a friend in Tennessee that went to visit his Grandmother and noticed this old contraption in the back yard and asked her about it. She said it was BGE and she hadn't used it in years and if he wanted it to take it home with him. He bought a few new parts for the inside and was cooking on it a few day later. Got to be 20+ years old he figures. Got to love Grandma for sure.
  • MeAndTheDog
    MeAndTheDog Posts: 73
    edited March 2012
    Options
    A friend of mine came bye last week, he is a chef. We were in the yard and he saw my LBGE "I've got one of those, a friend moved to costa rica and gave it to me!" he belted out. He claimed that he hasn't used it because his girlfriend mother gave him a gasser for christmas. No clue what he had, I informed him on how generous his buddies were, and spoiled a sale to my brother-in-law!
    Conway, S.C.
  • QualityChoice
    Options
    Actually, I have found that there are very few eggs available on craigslist. Figured it was because people are generally so happy with them they don't sell them! Here in the Washington DC area, I have been monitoring the website for more than 6 months, without finding any convincing deals. So in the end bought a new one.
  • wolfsburg18
    Options
    There was a full medium setup for 650 on denver craigslist and a full XL setup for 850.  Called both and they still had them... I would love to add the XL to my large but atm I am a bit cash strapped.