Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Ribs at the Flinstone Household

Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thanks everyone for sharing your ideas on beef ribs...and Gfw for sharing your first results! Gonna cook a test slab today. The chunk has four Fred Flinstone sized bones, and is currently slatered in mustard, and dirtied up real good with JJs rub.[p]Gfw tried the indirect method yesterday. They were good, he said, but still greasy. Not being wild about hot grease running down my chin, I thought I would try JJs direct extended method. Hopefully 6-7 hours of low/direct cooking will melt most of that fat away, and leave me with some magic meat. JJ hasn't let me down yet.[p]The cook begins about 11:00, over a healthy dose of mesquite smoke.
Keep yall posted.
NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Nature Boy, sounds like an afternoon of fun. When I said greasy - not the drippoing kind, just the after taste kind - everyone should do them at least once. Good luck!

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Nature Boy, what's happening on those ribs?

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Gfw,
    They look about done after 6 hours. I just brushed on a tad of sauce, and closed up the vents. The crust is gorgeous. They shrunk quite a bit....don't look like a whole lot of meat, but this is a trial anyway. Just a side dish.[p]Got a real good feeling about them. I never quite got to 250, and I used an elevated grate, but looks like direct for 6 plus hours might have done the job. I'll find out about 7pm when I dig my chops into them. By appearance...they are winners.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ