Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt 2 ways, LIVE, as it happens...

MaskedMarvel
MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
Greetings friends,

Judging from the SPAM, no one will ever see this thread...

A few pics from my first pork butt smoke.  I'm about 3 hours in now and am at 113* meat and 225* grate.  Two butts (the whole butt?).  One with a traditional brisket rub, the other with mustard and the same rub.  I enjoy trying side by siders...  Anyway...  A bit of apple Fruita wood in there to keep it smokey.  Shot a pic of my Grease Monkey gloves, for the savvy forum reader.

Also, a picture of my beautiful 16 year old dog Roxy who had a stroke this week,  Vet on Monday.  We're hoping for the best, and preparing for the worst.  Trust me when I say this - she LOVES barbecue...  Greatest dog ever.  Wish her luck.

I'll poke back when I pull them off.

8-Damien

imageimageimageimage
Large BGE and Medium BGE
36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

Comments

• MaskedMarvel
    Totally forgot - If anyone has a CLASSIC NC sauce they can recommend (homemade is ok), I'd appreciate it.  Last time i had real NC pulled pork, the guy was dishing the sauce out of a gallon jug.  Bring your gravy, my people...

Large BGE and Medium BGE

• paulheels
    paulheels Posts: 457
    On the road. I make and taste as I go. Here is the jist.
    Apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, red pepper flakes. Start with 1cp vinegar, 1/4 cp sugar, tablespoon pepper. Shake well

Hope this helps some.

Paul
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    2 C ketchup, 1 C water, 1/2 C apple cider vinegar, 5 T light brown sugar, 5 T sugar, 1/2 T fresh ground black pepper, 1/2 T onion powder, 1/2 T ground mustard, 1 T lemon juice, 1 T worcestershire sauce

Combine, bring to boil, simmer 1 hour plus stirring frequently.

Neely's BBQ Sauce

I like the above sauce with butts. I made some last night and put a butt on at 830. Mine its sitting at 196 right now. Good luck with your dog. We have two older dogs also. One is 15 one is 11.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • mikey5874
    mikey5874 Posts: 86
    What Paul says, I inject that recipe into my butt and it comes out great........did I just say that?

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    MaskedMarvel is in NC. Ketchup is not allowed in the sauce.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362

I started a 12 lb pork shoulder yesterday at noon. I'm cooking at the same 225° as you are. I'm 19 hours into it and I thought I would post an image showing how the temps are going. I'm using a Stokers and I have two probes into one shoulder. The red line stays fairly flat until 9 hours into it when I cleared some of the vent holes (wiggle stick) and again about 18 hours I just cleared the vents again. I think my old lump that I left in my egg before starting is causing the venting issues. Good luck on the cook and share some with Roxy.image

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• Paulheels is all over it. That's the good stuff.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• Logger
    Logger Posts: 309
    I'm pulling for the dog.  Good luck on the butts too.
    OKC area  XL - Medium Eggs
  • OLD NORTH STATE BBQ CO.
    edited March 2012

Early Noth Carolina settlers believed tomatoes were evil, thus not included in a traditional NC style sauce.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    See I learned something else on this forum today.

Still a good sauce though.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    I'll be interested in seeing how much difference the mustard made. 

Cute Pooch.  16 yrs is a long time for a dog, you've been fortunate.  Good luck with her recovery.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • MaskedMarvel
    Thanks everyone.

No Texas Pete in the sauce?  I thought that was a requirement...
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• MaskedMarvel
    Stalled out at 172*

Might be bumping the temp up - I have to serve these dogs in a few hours.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• MaskedMarvel
    imageimageimageimage
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• MaskedMarvel
    Proud to say I've grown up in NC eating pulled pork and the unanimous verdict was this was the best pork we've ever eaten.  Your sauce was perfect PaulHeels.  I might use a better vinegar next time.  I can now understand the value of the Bear Claws.  No comment yet on the difference btw the two butts - we never even made it through the first one.  I'll update tomorrow.  Roxy has her biggest day tomorrow.  Genuine thanks for the well wishes.

8-D
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Great looking pork. God im hungry!
    Best wishes out for Roxy.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Good luck today
    Conway, S.C.
  • mikey5874
    mikey5874 Posts: 86
    GOOD LUCK ROXY! From Bailey and family, a florida dog.
  • MaskedMarvel
    Our thanks to the doggies and their families for the well wishes.

Roxy was touch and go and has been diagnosed with a brain event that can't be classified further without a $1000 MRI.  She's home now and comfortable, with me knowing how to handle her and what to look for.  Vet recommended we play it out and see if she stabilizes naturally.  

Again, thank you all for the kind wishes.
    8-Damien
    & Rox

Large BGE and Medium BGE

• The butts looked fantastic. 

Keeping my fingers crossed for Roxy, dogs become such a part of our family it's hard to imagine life without them.  Maybe good bbq is the reason she's made it 16 years?

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• MaskedMarvel
    Our thanks to the doggies and their families for the well wishes.

Roxy was touch and go and has been diagnosed with a brain event that can't be classified further without a $1000 MRI.  She's home now and comfortable, with me knowing how to handle her and what to look for.  Vet recommended we play it out and see if she stabilizes naturally.  

Again, thank you all for the kind wishes.
    8-Damien
    & Rox

What to look for came quicker than expected.  No more non BBQ related posts in this thread from me, other than to say she really was my smoking companion for 16 years and a better review on my brisket I've never received.  Thanks again gang.
    8-D

Large BGE and Medium BGE