Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Adding wood chips

sjr
sjr Posts: 3
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
How do you add wood chips during the cooking process?  I was smoking a rack of ribs on the grate with the plate setter below.  I couldn't figure out a good/safe way to add more chips.  Anyone have any tips?

Comments

• IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Once I add in the beginning I never add again.  No easy way, have to lift everything off and throw them in there.  Might want to switch to the actual wood instead of chips and it will smoke more during the cook.  I was at Home Depot the other day and they now have apple and cherry chunks - finally found them.  Only had hickory in the past.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    build the fire with the chips in place, up and down in the center. mix them in as you go.

i get smoke from chips, chunks, bark, twigs... it's all wood and all good.  one chip may not last as long as a much bigger chunk, but that's not the chip's fault.  you need more chips, equal to whatever your chunks might be.

none of it will burn more quickly than the other, because there's no flame. it will smolder, even a thin dry chip.

if you find yourself wanting to add smoke mid cook, you can play the carnival game of dropping the wood down the side and bouncing it onto the fire, or, like i often do, use an oak twig or length of hickory bark (shag bark), or a long thin split, and stab it vertically down and into the fire
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    Once I add in the beginning I never add again.  No easy way, have to lift everything off and throw them in there.  Might want to switch to the actual wood instead of chips and it will smoke more during the cook.  I was at Home Depot the other day and they now have apple and cherry chunks - finally found them.  Only had hickory in the past.

Irish,

If you are looking for some nice wood I ordered some from Fruita Woods http://www.fruitawoodchunks.com/   The wood is beautiful, they cut every order indivualy.  If you order a large 15-17lbs. you can combo up to 3 different woods.  $33.00 delivered

George

George
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    I was just going to fruita wood  chunks too. Good stuff.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    I use large, baseball sized chunks of the smoke wood.  I space them to engage the fire as it moves out from the middle.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379

They cut theirs about that size, I happen to like mine a little smaller so I split 'em.  Better that they come too big you can't put 'em back together.

George

George
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Thanks gte, I will certainly take a look at this in the future.  
  • EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416

Irish,

If you are looking for some nice wood I ordered some from Fruita Woods http://www.fruitawoodchunks.com/   The wood is beautiful, they cut every order indivualy.  If you order a large 15-17lbs. you can combo up to 3 different woods.  $33.00 delivered

George

Wow, no shipping costs....That's why I've never ordered wood before because it always costs an arm and a leg to get it delivered.  Awesome site that is now bookmarked!
    Large BGE

• NightwingXP
    NightwingXP Posts: 448
    How did we get a adware spammer in here???
    Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!