Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Table Design #1

balliardi
balliardi Posts: 72
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
This is my first design. Would appreciate feedback!

Comments

• centex99
    centex99 Posts: 231
    What are the two smaller holes for?
  • troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    What are the two smaller holes for?
    Umbrella and garbage I believe.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • balliardi
    Hole top left for umbrella, top right for food waste (needs can underneath)
  • I'm a egg newbie, so protocol would dictate that I stay quiet and just lurk for more experienced members to advise, but...

I've never needed a place to put my food waste, but I always need a work surface. 

I love the umbrella idea tho.

Just my $.02

Strongsville, OH

• stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    I would lose the trash hole. I like all the surface I. My table for plates trays. Ceramic pieces. And such.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    the umbrella hole is too close. the dome will hit it when you open it and it tilts back. maybe put it in the middle-back?
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • NightwingXP
    NightwingXP Posts: 448
    Oooohh. Umbrella idea is great. I actually don't mind its location as long as it is high enough to miss the dome. I also like the trash hole idea. Cool design!
    Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!
  • stike
    edited March 2012
    the umbrella top will of course be high enough to miss the dome.  but the pole is what holds the umbrella dome up, and in that position, he won't be able to tilt the dome back without hitting the pole.  i assumed his umbrella was high enough to clear the top of the open dome.
    :))
  • bhugg
    bhugg Posts: 317
    Balliardi- where did you draw this up? Is it a free computer program? I want to draw up mine.
    Large BGE Dallas, TX
  • stike
    Sketch-up
  • centex99
    centex99 Posts: 231
    bhugg, and yes, sketchup is a free google product... very powerful at that...
  • balliardi
    Thanks for all the comments v helpful. Yes made in google sketch up.

Stike, I think you're right about the umbrella hole.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Just my .02. 
    I think the hole will get nasty eventually. If you want to have the garbage built in, I would either: 
    1. hang the the basket on the side (unsightly but easy), 
    2. put a flat-ish basin under the "hot plate", and have a way to lift the hot plate it like a lid. 
    3. Or install some rails, and you can just slide it out to use, e

but you might want to move it further from the egg for the bottom 2. 

Also I agree, the umbrella hole (hard to see on a phone) will get bumped by the BGE dome when you open it. 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • balliardi

definitely some food for thought (or should that be "thought for food"? :) )

Exactly why I designed first and got your wise opinions! Back to the drawing board I think for a second iteration... watch this space!

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    I don't think your lower shelf is high enough on this drawing. Your egg would sit too low and the dome wouldn't open because there wouldn't be enough room for the hinge. That is assuming this is drawn to scale.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    I don't think your lower shelf is high enough on this drawing. Your egg would sit too low and the dome wouldn't open because there wouldn't be enough room for the hinge. That is assuming this is drawn to scale.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Your egg would sit too low and the dome wouldn't open because there wouldn't be enough room for the hinge. That is assuming this is drawn to scale.
    Remember to get measurements with lid closed, AND opened.

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • tgkleman
    tgkleman Posts: 216
    Be careful about a solid top and solid wood shelf.  The wood is going to expand in the summer and contract in the winter (seasonal movement) and could eventually split if it doesnt have room to move.  Consider slats to allow for movement.  Also, you might want to beef up the casters, that table looks pretty heavy.  Good looking table.
  • Stoater
    Stoater Posts: 292
    I love the idea of the food waste hole, I have always thought that would be great in the island in my kitchen, I usually have a pile of veggie waste after chopping, it would be great to just swipe it off and into a green bin that could be taken out to the compost.
  • reh111
    reh111 Posts: 196
    The egg sits too far back from the front edge - unfortunately, that's the way I built mine and it's a pain in the ... to clean ashes out of the bottom of the egg - you don't need all that space between the front edge and the egg and you will not enjoy having to bend over and stretch to clean it - 
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Cabinet and/or drawers for storage.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • balliardi

Great tips guys - thanks.

Regarding solid wood or slats I think slats are the way to go - just need the patience/proficiency at sketchup to represent them.

v2 starts tonight!

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
      i assumed his umbrella was high enough to clear the top of the open dome.
    :))
    Stike makes me laugh
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • scooter759
    scooter759 Posts: 257
    If  your edges are going to be flush, you might want to consider using U Brackets on the back side of your table for the umbrella guides. Would also free up a little more space on top.
    Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited March 2012
    is this drawn to scale?  Is that supposed to be an external cutting board on top, or a piece of granite?  you may wanna think about putting a piece of granite or something else which can hold up to the heat if you're going to be pulling hot food off the Egg & need a place to sit it. 

I'm w/ those who say to ditch the garbage hole - I'd think that, over time, the sides of that hole will become FUNKY & you won't want that.  Also, whatever container you'd have to put under the hole to catch the refuse will be wasted space - why not just use that "free" space underneath as extra storage? 

If/when I ever get my table done, it's gonna have a LOT of storage - can never have too much storage - and if ya do, then that means ya just gotta go out & buy more Egg-cessories!!!  :P
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • balliardi

Will be granite or marble to use as a chopping board and for getting things off the egg.

Diag not precise scale. Next one will be!