Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grass Fed vs Corn Fed -- whats your preference and why

Options
13»

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Sorry. Those were natural Wagyu tri tips. Best flavor ever but slightly expensive.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options

These also make a nice little snack seared a couple seconds on each side.

• IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Options
    So for the Nebraska peeps, watching amazing eats and they are eating whiskey steaks and can only get out of Nebraska.  Any good? Can I get a confirm/deny.
  • BakerMan
    BakerMan Posts: 159
    Options

In the summer I can get grass fed beef at our local Farmers Market.  The hamburger meat they sell is out of this world.  I have never tasted hamburger that tasted this good.  It makes amazing burgers.  I tried their steaks and was unimpressed. 

I buy a lot of meat from a local German butcher.  I think the the meat I get from him (not sure if it is grass or grain) tends to be better because he gets to select the meat he sells.  With that said, based on what I am reading I feel like I need to give the grass fed steaks another try.

BakerMan - Purcellville, VA "When its smokin' its cookin', when its black its done"
  • IrishDevl
    Options
    I get grass fed hamburger meat from someone who does the most of their life grass fed and the last few months grain fed to fatten them up.  I agree, the best burgers ever.  Love them.  
  • Philicious
    Philicious Posts: 346
    Options
    Grass fed. I believe the hype that cows were not meant to eat corn. As for price, I thought grass fed would be more - and it is at the grocery. But, I bought a half a cow, locally, that came to just under $4 per pound for everything.
    Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options
    Grass fed beef  costs less to produce.   Corn fed requires about 7lb's of corn for every 1 lb of gain on a steer.  Granted, the grass fed typically will not finish as heavy, so there there is less yield - it's still a much less expensive finish out.
    Cookin in Texas
  • mustgrill
    mustgrill Posts: 141
    Options
    Grass
    Located in Western North Carolina
  • smasch
    smasch Posts: 115
    Options
    Hey LIT, noticed the packaging on the kobe and have visited it many times.  Meat there is cheap for sure.  

I prefer a combination grass and grain.  Father in law back in Missouri raises cattle and lets them graze till a couple of months before the trip to the butcher.  All corn fed for those last couple months with corn from his farm.  Taste is great and if you skillet some burger you dont have to drain.  Call me crazy, but that meat has a completly different flavor than store bought.  We get a whole beef every April.    
    Owner of LBGE, Antique Komodo Green in Color. Proud Career Firefighter. Johns Creek / South Forsyth GA
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    When I raised cattle and corn, I did exactly what smash's FIL did.  I think finishing off with corn adds fat (marbling) to the meat and makes it more tender.  Being pasture cattle, they still got some grass during that time, but you didn't have to beg them to come eat the corn.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• boatbum
    Options

nah, you dont have to beg them to eat corn....  The discussion that cattle dont eat corn naturally - not sure about that ... they sure seem to know what it is and what to do with it.    Corn fed beef - its only the last 90 to 120 days, all cattle are on grass till they hit the lot.

best marble is the corn/malt/barley...   

Cookin in Texas
  • Philicious
    Philicious Posts: 346
    Options
    All you have to do is watch Food, Inc. (a movie) and you will buy grass fed or your own cow. The movie, for sure, is one side of the story but one thing stuck out for me. When you go to the grocery and buy a pack of ground meat, there may be 100 or more cows in that pack - plus things that you don't want to know. If you buy a cow, all of your meat is from one animal.
    Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.
  • boatbum
    Options

I have watched the movie.   Grew up on the production side of the food process -- there is good and bad.   I can tell you some things  that would curl your toes - can also tell you where the movie was way wrong.  

Some things are as safe and pure to eat as what you might raise in your back yard.   Other things --- well --- I will NOT eat canned spinach....

lol

Cookin in Texas
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    All you have to do is watch Food, Inc. (a movie) and you will buy grass fed or your own cow. The movie, for sure, is one side of the story but one thing stuck out for me. When you go to the grocery and buy a pack of ground meat, there may be 100 or more cows in that pack - plus things that you don't want to know. If you buy a cow, all of your meat is from one animal.
    Hahahaha.  We took our pig to the meat market for slaughter.  When we picked it up, there was a 12 pound ham and an 18 pound ham (obviously from two pigs).  That was 30 years ago, but I bet those people are still cringing from the tongue lashing they got from my wife.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Here is a LINK for some interesting reading about the grass vs corn debate. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • IrishDevl
    Options
    I am a fan of pink slime in my meat, gives it that extra kick you just can't get with grass or corn fed beef.