Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What to do without fire starters on hand?

EddieK76
EddieK76 Posts: 416
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
I don't have any fire starters on hand either the parafin ones (Weber) or the the cardboard looking thingies either....What's an easy way to start the fire?

I was thinking oil then dip some napkins in it or paper towel and place in the coals and light...
Large BGE

Comments

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    FWIW, last night I tried rubbing alcohol, worked fine for me to get things going.. 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • tnbarbq
    tnbarbq Posts: 248
    I got some fire starter sticks. They look and feel like compressed mulch. I break off about 2 or 3 inches worth, bury in the charcoal and light it.  works fine.
    Scooter 
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge
  • EddieK76
    I don't have anything on hand and my wife took the car that is functioning since I'm on vacation :)

Large BGE

• walleyv
    walleyv Posts: 147
    I always use paper towels and vegi oil. 
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Paper towel and oil will work. Or 91% alcohol. Squirt in few spots, wait shortly and light.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • tazcrash
    I you can't get to rubbing alchol, then oil and paper  towel should work. I've used that in a chimney starter before.

Enjoy the vaca.

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Another vote for the oil on paper towel method. I once made my own starter. Had a wad of drier lint, and dribbled a bunch of candle wax over it. Worked well.

Can you play boy scout. Make a little tepee fire of twigs.
  • tazcrash
    edited March 2012
    Call\text her, and tell her it's a matter of LIFE & DEATH to get the egg going! Bring back fire starters!!!

;)

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • EddieK76
    Call\text her, and tell her it's a matter of LIFE & DEATH to get the egg going! Bring back fire starters!!!

;)

That's hilarious but she's 4 hours away for a few days...Me, the kids and basketball...This could be dangerous....
    Large BGE

• Millsy
    Millsy Posts: 113
    Since I tried the oil on the paper towel thats all i have used.I also use napkins to soak up bacon grease and they work great and are free.
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    edited March 2012
     I have used the brick starters, then went to using a paper towel with some veg oil on it, and that has worked real well. If you are thinking about eggcessories, (we all do) try a Hi - Que grate, then all you do is use a couple sheets of crinkled up newspaper and shove the newspaper into the lower damper vent and light, no more messing with the oil or fire starters. There is no wrong way, whatever you have in the house will work. Rubbing Alcohol is another method too.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

Pick one:

imageimage
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    If I'm going for a low and slow, I use the electric starter, buried right in the middle, let it go for about 10 minutes, pull it out, put in all the guts, spider, stone, rig, etc. Leave the bottom open dfmt open until i start hitting 200, close down the daisy wheel so all the holes are open, than close the bottom vent to about a 1/4inch. Adjust from there. High heat, or basically anything but low, i go straight for the weed burner, lit, ready to rock in about 5-10 minutes
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    You are home for a few days with your kids and without a car? Brave man.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • EddieK76
    You are home for a few days with your kids and without a car? Brave man.
    Haha!   It'll be great playing hoops, playing catch, cooking, watching hoops!   Hopefully my car will be done by Saturday!  
    Large BGE

• danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 675
    I've used bacon grease and a paper towel or two under a briquette starter chimney and it works well.

I need to get a weed burner. 
    current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Oil soaked paper towels work pretty well. Simpler and cheaper than a map torch or fire starters.
  • EddieK76
    How many paper towels do you all use?  
    Large BGE

• smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    I usually use three and roll up long ways tight and dip in oil and light. Get the lump lit quick.