Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small BGE?

Options
LilEgger
LilEgger Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi

I just got the idea today to purchase a small or mini BGE. Don't know what came over me this afternoon. I bought an Oval last fall and have enjoyed it a great deal. I did not get out there during the winter as I had intended to. Partly because I nearly died with the Flu and Broncidis. So I stayed away from the cold the rest of the winter.
My question to all here is: How useful is the small or mini? How do you who have one of these units use them?
My thinking is that,if I have a small, I would not have to fire up the oval every time I want to cook. And I think I too may have what so many others have. the deire to own more than one unit. Crazy as that may be. :>>
But I would like to know if it will be of good use to me. My table that I built is big enough that I can add a small without any trouble. I built a big table.
I am going to look at the dealer some time this week when I have a day off. When I called they said the mini is 9" and the small is 13" in diameter. Would I need to get some plate setters to cook indirect n one of these units? I have a very good setup for my oval that I rigged up. And does the fire box crack as I have read in the past?
Thanks for any comments.

Li'l Egger

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Li'l Egger,

Like many, I own mulitple eggs - a small and mini Egg to complement the large Egg. Both the small and mini can do what a large can do; just in smaller proportions.

We are now a family of three and much of the grilling that I do is with the mini and the small. It just a matter of the size of the meat, chicken breast, etc. Last night the mini delivered three filet mignons at about 850°F.

Frankly the small and mini are the workhorses, leaving the large for the low and slow cooks, and for baking breads, pizzas, calzones, etc. Both are mobile, with obviously the mini a little easier on the back.

Have fun adding to your arsenal.

puj
  • Dr. Strangelove
    Options
    Li'l Egger,

I didn't buy a mini six years ago when a dealer offered it at $65.00 because of an errant order. I recieved one a year later as a Christmas gift. I have had a large for about four years. I did not buy the mini because I felt it was to small for my needs. I have since found that I use my mini for the largest percentage of my cooks. The mini is perfect for steaks, hamburgers, sausages, abt's, fillets fresh from the gulf, etc for up to four people. The large cooks turkeys, briskets, pork butts or big pork tenderloins, spatchcocked chickens or gets fired up for parties. I use the mini when cooking on the large to provide appetizers. It uses a paltry amount of charcoal compared to the larger eggs. The mini can cook indirectly with the right setup, however, in my opinion, those cooks are better left to the larger eggs. In my opinion, the mini is a wonderful cooker for small parties and its' portability makes it one of the more useful sizes of eggs.