Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump Reducing Ring

Options
Doc_Eggerton
Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
I like this thing.  Thought I'd post before and after pics from last night's pizza bake.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

Comments

• hogsfan
    hogsfan Posts: 128
    Options
    Thanks for posting. Does this seem like less lump used than when you did pizza without the ring? Also, what made you decide to do the walled ring vs the bars? Thanks.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    I think it saves lump that would have burned during the shut down.  It also helps me with focusing the direct heat in the center when I want some "cool" zone around the edges.

I also bought Angle-Ls.  Which I use when I cook veggies (which is the most frequent grill on the XL).

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• hogsfan
    hogsfan Posts: 128
    Options
    I see. Thanks for the explanation. Which do you you like using best?
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Different uses for different cooks.  The ring work well for pizza.  I use the Angle Ls for weggies so I can have direct on one side, and indirect on the other.

• XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    Options

I mainly use my angles to split my box in half for steak. I use the cast iron half grid to sear over the half with lump. I then move them to the other side to dwell. The ring is perfect for pizzas and grilling. The ring also helps out when the lump level is getting low,but I do not want to add new lump yet. I.E., when it is real close to cleaning time. These were the first things I bought after the ps and they see a lot of action.

More meat please !! :-)
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    For my cooks, II'm more partial to the Ang-L brackets.  The brackets make great lump/ash scoops too!  Thanks for posting and the feedback.

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.