Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rutland gasket not for food applications?

jerryp
jerryp Posts: 232
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
Well, my nomex is finally starting to fail.  It lasted much longer than the felt gaskets, though.  I was thinking about a Rutland, but was told by the local egg dealer they contacted the maker of Rutland and were told emphatically that they were not meant for use in food preparation.  Are there some sort of funky materials used to make either the gasket itself or the adhesive?  Anyone ever seen an MSDS sheet on them.  Even placing it on the bottom as to not have it hovering over the food when the lid's opened.  I was also thinking about just going gasket-less and buying aluminum tape to seal the outside for low and slows.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Comments

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited March 2012
    I have a Rutland applied with Permatex Ultra Copper and love it.  I considered going gasket-less but my base and lid don't meet up perfectly and I like the way a gasket shuts down the lump faster to saves fuel for next time.  I also like the cushion effect when closing the lid when I'm drunk.  Literally thousands of eggs around the nation have Rutlands on.  I've heard of no ill effects yet.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited March 2012
    I am in the no-gasket club. But 60+% do gaskets and bet 80% of that group do Rutland Gaskets.  Most of the Rutland users are still alive today. I like the part where you were told "told emphatically that they were not meant for use in food preparation". This from a salesperson that has no idea of reality. Yes it says that, but...........................
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    I have a Rutland on a love it.  I considered going gasket-less but my base and lid don't meet up perfectly and I like the way a gasket shuts down the lump faster to saves fuel for next time.  I also like the cushion effect when closing the lid when I'm drunk.  Literally thousands of eggs around the nation have Rutlands on.  I've heard of no ill effects yet.

Me too.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    rutland has never been tested for the application and i doubt they want to test it, they have a good market already not including eggs. nomex hasnt been tested either for use around food as far as i know. ruttland says please dont use it, nomex says... i see nothing. after you use it any loose fabrics get gunked up, i dont see the fibers flying around like in my wood stove or coal stove. that said, i dont use gaskets
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    If only a small percentage of egg owners actually use this forum as stated in a previous thread, I wonder how many people even know about the rutland. Thousands????
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    edited March 2012
    If only a small percentage of egg owners actually use this forum as stated in a previous thread, I wonder how many people even know about the rutland. Thousands????
    It's my best guess based on what I've heard and what I've read.  The guy I got mine from (Ron) told me he himself has sold hundreds of them (this was a year ago).  Just as many, if not more have bought them from hardware stores, etc.  Then you figure those that put them on have multiple eggs. "The old forum" had been around for a long time and those guys (some are on this forum) have been doing Rutlands for a long time. 
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    My whirlpool double oven has what looks like a Rutland gasket on the upper and lower doors. Can't say for sure as I can't see any labels, but they sure look like the Rutlands we use on the egg. Don't think Whirlpool would take a chance if it was hazardous.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • JimS
    JimS Posts: 78

That salesperson wants to sell you a high heat gasket every three months for $25 dollars a pop. That was about how long mine lasted. I have spent more on gaskets than i have in my large BGE ove its 12 year life. Get a Rutland for $4-5 dollars and a tube of bronze permatex for about $5 and you can cook as high as you want and you dont have to worry about replacements.

• eggo
    JimS,did you put then Rutland on both top and bottom or just the bottom?
    Eggo in N. MS
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    edited March 2012
    Put it on just one or the other.  It's twice as thick as a Nomex and more than that from the original felt.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Either top or bottom....bottom's easier unless the top is off. The gasket material is too thick for both.
  • eggo
    Thanks guys. Planning to put a Rutland on next week if it don"t rain.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • JimS
    JimS Posts: 78
    edited March 2012
    bottom but wish i had done the top.
    JimS,did you put then Rutland on both top and bottom or just the bottom?

• eggo
    Got to ask. Why the top? Actually my top gasket is burned more than the bottom and would make more sense on mine. If I do the top, should I remove the old bottom gasket?
    Eggo in N. MS