Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mountain House New Addition & Boston Butt

Options
billyray
billyray Posts: 1,275
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
I like my Egg so much at home, that I decided to take one up to our mountain house. Spatchcock chicken last night and Boston butt on this morning.
Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.

Comments

• odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    I'm more interested in seeing pics of the mountain house ;)
  • billyray
    edited March 2012
    Options

Doing the butt, turbo style. Just pulled at 165 to foil and put back on. 5-1/2 lbs. @ 350 for 2-1/2 hours to reach 165. DP Course seasoning. Will pull and rest for an hour when it reahes 195.

Butt.jpg 172.4K
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    billyray,

I'm doing one as well. Mine is sitting at 175 right now. Should I pull and wrap it? What temp on the egg?
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • billyray
    Options
    If you are doing turbo, yes pull and foil. Then back on at 350, until it reaches 195.
  • Eggbertsdad
    Options
    Thanks. Just foiled it and put it back on. It's an 8 pounder and I put it on cold at 8:15 this morning. I was surprised it only took 5 hours to get to 175. I used original DP as my rub. The piece that "fell off" while I was wrapping it was terrific. I gave a little taste to Kathy, my wife, and she immediately went in to the kitched to make the slaw, etc.  =D>
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • billyray
    Options
    Sounds good. Mine just hit 190 @ 4 hours on a 5-1/2 pounder. I'll be pulling it off to wrap any minute know.
  • Eggbertsdad
    Options
    Wrap? In a towel? 

• Eggbertsdad
    Options
    Beautiful setting where you are, by the way. Which mountains?
  • billyray
    Options
    I wrap the foiled butt in towels and place in a warmed cooler, I'll shred it in an hour or so. We are in Plumas county about 60 miles north of Lake Tahoe.
  • Eggbertsdad
    Options
    Thanks for the info. Enjoy your Sunday! 
  • billyray
    Options

odie91

Here's a pic of the front of the house.

Eggbertsdad

You have a great day, also.

• Eggbertsdad
    Options
    That is beautiful! I live in South FL and I appreciate seeing the snow. Hell, it's 85 degree here this afternoon.

BTW. I yanked it off the Egg at 195 and wrapped it in a towel and put it in a soft-sided cooler. Anything else until I get ready to pull it?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    thats not a camp, thats definatly a mountain house
    :\"> beautiful
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • billyray
    Options

Eggbertsdad

Just get your sauce ready to add when you pull it apart.