Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

parboiling babyback ribs

2»

Comments

• JalopyBob
    JalopyBob Posts: 175
    Joe, if you want faster ribs without boiling, try the Jamie Purviance method. You apply your rub, then wrap them in foil, 2 layers. Grill direct over medium temps, after an hour, unwrap and finish direct, for another 15 to 20 minutes directly over the coals, adding the sauce with about 10 minutes to go. So they cook in their own juices, but no boiling. I was skeptical, but they are pretty good. Not as good as 3-1-1, but still good.
  • :-O Whoa. What?!?
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275

I asked a question on a previous post about dome vs. grill temp. on a direct cook. The purpose was to determine what dome temp. to use for direct cooking of BB's. I decided to try 300 dome with my AR oval grill at the felt line. Before we got the large Egg we would do BB's on a Weber gasser. Although we love low and slow ribs, I needed to come up with a way to do them when I didn't get home from work until 6 PM. Since the wife didn't like to mess with the grill, I couldn't start cooking until I got home and I didn't want to wait until 10 or 11 PM to eat, so I came up with a way to have ribs with a 1 hour cook. We've been doing these for the last 10 years or so, when time was a issue.

I'd have the wife take the ribs out of the fridge an hour before I got home and rub them with Worcestershire and season. Then I would cook for 30 minutes bone side down @ 325, flip and cook meat side down for 10 minutes, flip and add sauce and cook for another 20 minutes, pull and tent with alum. foil for 10-15 minutes.

The following pics are my 1st attempt to do a fast cook on the Egg @300 dome direct at the felt line.

2 racks cut in half to fit on the oval grill, 1 rack seasoned with Dizzy Dust Coarse and 1 seasoned with McCormicks Montreal Steak Seasoningimage

After 30 minutes flipped to meat sideimage

After 10 minutes flipped back to bone side and saucedimage

After 20 minutes, pulled and tented for 15 minutesimage

Sliced up and ready to eatimage

What I will do different next time is start the fire in 4 spots, half way between the center of the lump and fire box. On this cook I started the fire in 1 spot, dead center of the lump. This created some hot spots during the 1st 30 minutes of the cook. I may reduce the dome to 275 and cook at the felt line or add the extender to the AR and cook higher in the dome @ 300. If you want BB's and time is an issue, give this a try and post what you think.

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • mikey5874
    mikey5874 Posts: 86
    I did that unspeakable thing years ago, (I am so ashamed) but now if I do not have my bge and at work, I will just put on the rub and a little liquid smoke, wrap em tight in foil, and put em in the oven on 300 for about 3 hours. Baste em with sauce (stir a little rub into the sauce), heat n serve. 
  • I live in Memphis, went to a place that I will not name, a friend said had great ribs. I should have noticed the lack of smoke over the place when I got there, clearly steam must have been rising over it because the ribs were mushy crock pot ribs.

I don't understand how the place is still in business and I lost a good friend over the deal! Boiled ribs indeed!!!!
    "I'm to drunk to taste this chicken!" - Colonel Sanders. Memphis, TN
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Was it Rendezvous?
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Why cook food from the fridge temperature of approx 38 degrees?  Why not let it warm up to room temp before cooking?   Why not hot tub it at 120 degrees (sealed  and loose no juices )?
  • what Tweev said 5-0-1 at 250-275. It took a try or 2,But will not change a thing now
    LET'S EAT
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited March 2012
    Steaks and roasts are different than pulled pork and ribs. One you can warm up before cooking so that they heat even when cooking to lower 'done' temps. Otherwise, a cold steak can be seriously overcooked before its center hits your desired temp

Not really an issue with something you are taking to 200 internal.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    I don't understand how the place is still in business and I lost a good friend over the deal!
    Wow you take your dining seriously, I don't think that I have fallen out with anyone over their restaurant recommendations.

Gerhard
  • if you boil them...try dinking the water ...thats where your flavor will have gone  :)

there is something about "don't drink the water" i have heard before, maybe it was about this...don't know, guess i am suffering from CRS...

Rockwall Texas, just east of Dallas where the humidity and heat meet! Life is too short to get caught in the fast lane behind somebody slow!

XL, LG, Sm, Mini and Weber for drink holder

• Boiling = Sin

+1...SLOW DOWN...STEP AWAY FROM THE BIG POT OF WATER.  

Everytime I hear about boiling ribs, I think back to Chef in Apocalypse Now talking about military cooking school where they boil the prime rib roasts...makes me want to cry. 
    :O

But in answer to the OP...you can do it, but SHOULD you do it is a better ?
    Love smoking chicken...but they are hard to keep lit ;-) http://daveyrayland.wordpress.com/ Small Egg / Weber OTG 22" / CharGriller Trio / Masterbuilt 30" Electric
  • Why not put them in zip lock and warm to 120 degrees in water?   This will let the inside temp more equally match the outside temp.  I think the less cooking the better.  Ever other animal on earth does not cook ANY of their food!   A little cooking is good - more is worse.

• stike
    cold meat doesn't absorb smoke any more than warm meat.  the only thing affected is the smoke ring, which is a cosmetic choice (has no taste).  cold meat allows the chemical reaction (which makes the pink ring) to continue until the meat (exterior, not interior) hits 140. around 140, the smoke ring stops forming.  but smoke flavor will be added at any time, any temperature
  • mustgrill
    mustgrill Posts: 141

It just goes on. I say if you want to par-boil do it! I have been giving this subject great thought? I know when I think it must weaken the nation! But anyway, I would have to guess there must be 100,000k of our people who pre-boil their ribs. So if a 100k people do it, it can't be wrong.... Just enjoy what you do and do what you enjoy and share your experieneces with us no matter what is said. It's all said in our H.O! Please vote for me as your next President!  :D

I will lower the price of Crude.....

Located in Western North Carolina
  • mustgrill
    PS those ribs look great, I not sure if they were bioled R Not
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Is there a rapid deployment intervention team that BGE can send in emergencies like this?  :O

A lot of chain restaurants that have ribs on the menu boil them.  People think they are great, but to me it is nothing more than tasteless meat covered in BBQ sauce.  I rarely get ribs out unless I know it is a true BBQ house.

Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • stike
    100s of thousands of people also buy vinyl siding.
    It's still a bad idea and sub par, regardless of whether large numbers of people with less discernment choose to do it :))
  • mustgrill
    Stike, you're still mad at me for my video. I did apologize. What much mor can I do? :))
  • stike
    Huh?
    I'm not mad at anyone.
    I cannot remember the last time i decided i was mad at someone or didn't like someone.

• mustgrill
    :x
  • stike
    Dont get your hopes up.
  • bumpye
    bumpye Posts: 15

LOL at DominicMajestic's mouth vomit comment-freakin hilarious. So are the other comments. Just to add my 1/2 cents worth. My wife is of the "parboiled-meat falls off the bone-smother in BBQ sauce crowd". Cooked my first rack of ribs, skipped the foil, kept them around 225-250. Store bought sauce for the last 1/2 hour and ....she loved them! Case closed.

• boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    These cooked 5 + hours, boiling is for cabbage...image
    Cookin in Texas
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    @boat bum.... and pasta
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket!