Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Which one to go by?

Options
Rzeancak
Rzeancak Posts: 193
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hi i need a title help here.

I'm doing a 6hr smoke on a rack of ribs at 250F.

I placed my probe in fro the smoker and it's reading 280F and my dome thermometer also has the same reading.  But i put my food probe on the grill and it's displaying a temp of 250F.   

this is my first time doing ribs and third time using the grill.

Please help 

PS.  i have pics of all the other cooks soon to be on display
A child can ask questions a wise man can't answer!!!
Canada
Large @ Small BGE 

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Go by the dome and get it down to 250. Don't go by time watch the ribs and once they start pulling from the bone on the ends you are good. I also like to wrap te ribs in foil for an hour to help get them a little more tender.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    You're best bet is to get a pot of boiling water going and test them.  You want about 212.  Then they'll be no guessing which is correct.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    After I bought my 1st Egg, I got a Maverick remote. I spent several cooks placing the grill probe in different places. I found temperature differences as big as 40F from near a piece of meat, to the grill edge, where air was flowing up around a platesetter. I would drop the probe down the daisy wheel holes, and get a different reading from the dome therm.

What I eventually learned was that if the dome therm was calibrated, and reported a temperature around 250, all lo-n-slo cooks went just fine.

In general, the dome temperature will read somewhat higher than the grill temperature during indirect cooks. As time goes by, the differences become smaller. When I measured really long cooks 18 or more hours, I found that the temperature evened out, and most everyplace would have the same temperature as the dome.

Differences between various pieces of the same kind of cut can make as big or bigger difference than temperature. It always helps to check the meat temperature. I had one slab of spare ribs that was actually burnt at 4 hours, when most take 6 hours to approach finish. Both at a dome of 250.
  • Rzeancak
    Rzeancak Posts: 193
    Options
    Thanks all 

I have the BGE version of the Maverick.  I did a temp test of all devices,  Dome thermometer, meet thermometer, and both probes on the BGE wireless.  the main difference i had was it took longer for the BGE setup to arrive to the same temp as the others.  

Right now my dome thermometer is reading 250 and my BGE is 235 which is a 15 degree difference.  My wife thinks the BGE setup is garbage and to return it to the store.  I am not so convinced.  I'm thinking this is only my third time and i need to play and experiment with it a little more.

please keep the suggestions coming, every little bit of info helps.

thank you everyone for what you been sharing so far.  
    A child can ask questions a wise man can't answer!!!
    Canada
    Large @ Small BGE 

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited March 2012
    Options

Right now my dome thermometer is reading 250 and my BGE is 235 which is a 15 degree difference.  
    Exactly what you'd expect.  When cooking indirect, the dome temp is always higher than the grid temp.
    Packerland, Wisconsin