Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

tips for replacing the original gasket

eggo
eggo Posts: 492
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
Need some advice on removing the old and installing the new. I've read about the rutland and one other. Which replacement gasket would you use?
Eggo in N. MS

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    My advice is to not replace it and see how it works. Mine is fine without it.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • OLD NORTH STATE BBQ CO.
    edited March 2012
    Get a nomex gasket from hi-que. It is self adhesive. Check out the Fred the Smokin' Guitar Player's Instructional on YouTube. He'll walk you through it. Use the aforementioned search words and you'll have no trouble finding it.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• GatoGordo
    GatoGordo Posts: 80
    I replaced using the nomex gasket and have been happy, but had to do it twice. You really need to watch Fred's video. The first time I did it, the gasket did not last very long. I watched the video, realized what I did wrong, redid it and it has been great even through high temp cooks. If you do go with Nomex, preshrink the gasket in the oven, not the dryer.
    LBGE, Stoker WiFi, UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Why the oven? I'm replacing mine with a nomex this weekend.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • eggo
    Is it necessary to remove the dome? I will check out Fred's video.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • NightwingXP
    NightwingXP Posts: 448
    I ordered a Rutland last week and plan on using permatex copper to put it on with.
    Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!
  • Randy1
    Randy1 Posts: 379
    Is it necessary to remove the dome? I will check out Fred's video.

no I have replaced mine three times twice with stock felt and third with high que nomex and never romoved dome. Third time hopefully the last...high que is holding up much better
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    I ordered a Rutland last week and plan on using permatex copper to put it on with.
    Good choice.  I have scraped the factory crap off of my last three eggs and installed Rutlands before I even cooked on them.  You will play hell trying to burn a Rutland up.  That can't be said about the Nomex Band-Aid.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    The way to go.  Last gasket you'll ever need.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• eggo
    Watched Fred's video. Does the rutland gasket go the same way. Does the rutland have a base and dome gasket like the nomex? And where can I get the rutland?
    Eggo in N. MS
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    I see on Amazon they have Rutland kits for sale. What size for a Large Egg? Is it necessary to do both the top and bottom? I replaced the first gasket within a month because it was over hanging to the inside. My wife and I carefully replaced the felt (keeping it towards the outer edge) but after my recent pizza fiasco that gasket, too, it melting away.

Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    I believe the consensus with the Rutland is botton of the egg only with the thickness of the Rutland.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Here is good info on installing Rutland...I don't think you have to be as anal about the cleaning off of the old gasket....I just gave it a good scraping and it went on and hold fine. And I didn't remove my lid, just scraped the top gasket off easily with lid on.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/rutlandgasket/gasket.htm
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Here is good info on installing Rutland...I don't think you have to be as anal about the cleaning off of the old gasket....I just gave it a good scraping and it went on and hold fine. And I didn't remove my lid, just scraped the top gasket off easily with lid on. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/rutlandgasket/gasket.htm
    Thanks MQ. Will do do mine too?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Sure...it's a piece of cake actually once you get going. Took me less than half hour total.
  • GatoGordo
    GatoGordo Posts: 80
    Why the oven? I'm replacing mine with a nomex this weekend.
    You must preshrink the gasket and Fred says that you can do this in the dryer. Well, I tried that in my first attempt and the gasket failed fairly quickly. My guess is that it did not shrink enough in the dryer and then pulled itself off the egg when heated. In my second attempt, I put the gasket in the oven giving a little higher temp than I would expect in the dryer. The gasket has been on for five months now and still looks solid with no gaps or separation.
    LBGE, Stoker WiFi, UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    I didn't do any pre shrink with my nomex gasket. Do not stretch it as your putting it on though. You will have plenty material. If anything push it into itself but without bunching it up.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • eggo
    Which rutland and what size. Amazon offers several different ones.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • meister5
    meister5 Posts: 20
    Rutland 95W-6.( 5/8 flat X 1/4 ). One kit should do top and bottom if you wish. I just ordered a couple off of Amazon. Ace Hardware also carries them in the states. Their part number is 43830.
    Meadow Lake Sk. LBGE, Stoker, Adjustable rig.
  • eggo
    I want to ask before I order> I plan to use permatex copper for adhesive so I won't need the kit. I found the Rutland 5/8X84 stove gasket tape 90 on Amazon. Is this the gasket material I need? I plan on doing only the bottom to begin with. It has been posted that only the bottom needs the gasket using the Rutland.
    Eggo in N. MS