Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fast Cook (Turbo) Butt

Cullum
Cullum Posts: 215
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
Got any advice on a fast cook butt? Heard 350 till internal temp is 160. Pull, double foil it with a little apple juice. Wrap up and put back on till internal reaches 195. Put in cooler for several hours. With this method how do you keep it from getting too greasy? Is apple juice necessary to put in the foil?

Comments

• I did an 8# the other day that turned out perfect 350 for 7 hours.No foil cooked to 200 internal.Rested in foil for about and hour and pulled.Moist and damn tasty.
    LET'S EAT
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    I put up a post a few days ago detailing my turbo butt cook and a pic. I went 350 dome until 160 internal, foil, cook to 200 internal, rest on counter for 1 hour, and pull. Results were fantastic. I will definitely do it again. Mine was not greasy at all.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Cullum
    I put up a post a few days ago detailing my turbo butt cook and a pic. I went 350 dome until 160 internal, foil, cook to 200 internal, rest on counter for 1 hour, and pull. Results were fantastic. I will definitely do it again. Mine was not greasy at all.
    Did you use a pan to catch drippings, or did you put liquid in it?
  • Hi54putty
    I put a little water in a drip pan. A lot of people don't.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Cullum
    I'm going to try your method on my next one. So you didn't put in liquid in the foil either?
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    I did an 8# the other day that turned out perfect 350 for 7 hours.No foil cooked to 200 internal.Rested in foil for about and hour and pulled.Moist and damn tasty.
    350* for the whole time?
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • The whole time, From 1000hrs to 1700 hours.Drip pan with water in a foil pan and pulled at 1800 hrs. It was all gone by 1899 hrs 
    LET'S EAT
  • 1900 hrs
    LET'S EAT
  • Hi54putty
    I'm going to try your method on my next one. So you didn't put in liquid in the foil either?
    Nope. In my opinion, there is plenty of moisture. I don't inject or add liquid in the foil.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Cullum
    I did an 8# the other day that turned out perfect 350 for 7 hours.No foil cooked to 200 internal.Rested in foil for about and hour and pulled.Moist and damn tasty.
    Did yours shrink much at that temp for that long?
  • Hi54putty
    mine looked very consistent with the butts I previously cooked at 250 degrees. Major difference was that although the bark looked and tasted great, it wasn't as crispy. Probably the only drawback I can think of...although my wife preferred it the "new" way.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • chogg
    chogg Posts: 30

I cooked one last eve @ 325 the whole time and covered it with foil to rest for about an hour and it was perfect..nice bark and pulled easy.

I cooked it for my new room mate and he had never had anything cooked on a BGE..he said it was the best BBQ he had ever tasted..not me it was the Egg.I ve been cooking fast like this for years..never told anyone..it is not the " correct " way..lol..only the butts, never Ribs

IF YOUR LOOKING YOUR NOT COOKING ..My Dog Likes it !!! C.Hogg....Shack Rag...GA.
  • chogg
    chogg Posts: 30

oh shoot...it cooked for 6 hrs

IF YOUR LOOKING YOUR NOT COOKING ..My Dog Likes it !!! C.Hogg....Shack Rag...GA.
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    chogg,

How many lbs? Was it a 6 pounder?
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • Cullum
    mine looked very consistent with the butts I previously cooked at 250 degrees. Major difference was that although the bark looked and tasted great, it wasn't as crispy. Probably the only drawback I can think of...although my wife preferred it the "new" way.
    Using the turbo method you described for the first time today. 
  • Hi54putty
    Let us know how you like it.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Cullum
    Let us know how you like it.
    Took only 4 hours to cook. WOW, a lot faster. Very tender. My mom's husband said it was the best meat he ever ate. I thought the flavor was maybe not as good but really close. I cooked till 160, double wrapped in foil, cooked till 195 or a little higher, wrapped again in foil, wrapped in towel, put in cooler for 1 1/2 hours. I was very pleased. Used bad byron's butt rub. Would definitely keep doing that method. Maybe try different things here and there. This was only my fourth butt to cook on the egg. Thanks for your help!
  • Hi54putty
    Welcome to the club.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    How long per pound when going turbo?
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    That's it... I'm smoking a butt tonight.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf