Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cracked egg

Options
craneman
craneman Posts: 1
edited March 2012 in Off Topic

I dumped my egg over pulling it in to the garage ,it has a crack from the top rim to the damper door. Any advice on how to fix or do i replace?

Comments

• walleyv
    walleyv Posts: 147
    Options
    Tsk Tsk Tsk.......not supposed to pull it. You have better control when pusing heavy objects.  Get some furnace cement...that sould do it.
  • walleyv
    Options
    pushing i mean
  • troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    Options
    Actually, all of the documentation says to pull and not push.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    Ep....pull, not push. Here's a simple description of why from whiz's site:

"What's The Best Way To Move A Big Green Egg In An Egg Nest?
    An Eggnest is the metal frame on wheels that you can buy to hold a Big Green Egg. They are quite handy if you don't choose to do something fancy like build a table or enclosure for your cooker. However, an Eggnest can be a little bit tricky to drive. The wheels on the Eggnest are relatively small and thus when moving the Eggnest, if you run into a pebble or the gap between boards on your deck, the Eggnest might suddenly stop. Thus we come to this bit of advice. Never, ever push a cooker in an Eggnest. If the nest comes to an abrupt stop, you may end up pushing the whole thing over resulting in a broken cooker. Make it a habit to always pull the cooker and the nest towards you when moving them. We personally like to grab the nest itself and pull, rather than grabbing the cooker by the handle or hinge and pulling. Getting a grip lower down makes it less likely that you will be able to pull the whole thing over."
  • troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    Options
    Ep....pull, not push. Here's a simple description of why from whiz's site:

"What's The Best Way To Move A Big Green Egg In An Egg Nest?
    An Eggnest is the metal frame on wheels that you can buy to hold a Big Green Egg. They are quite handy if you don't choose to do something fancy like build a table or enclosure for your cooker. However, an Eggnest can be a little bit tricky to drive. The wheels on the Eggnest are relatively small and thus when moving the Eggnest, if you run into a pebble or the gap between boards on your deck, the Eggnest might suddenly stop. Thus we come to this bit of advice. Never, ever push a cooker in an Eggnest. If the nest comes to an abrupt stop, you may end up pushing the whole thing over resulting in a broken cooker. Make it a habit to always pull the cooker and the nest towards you when moving them. We personally like to grab the nest itself and pull, rather than grabbing the cooker by the handle or hinge and pulling. Getting a grip lower down makes it less likely that you will be able to pull the whole thing over."
    After reading this on Whiz's site, I made the decision to get the handler. Very glad I did.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551
    Options
    I've read JB weld works on BGE cracks but I cannot confirm this.
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • OLD NORTH STATE BBQ CO.
    Options
    Call the mother ship or your local distributor. I believe they'll sell you the complete bottom piece. It's expensive, but it's still cheaper then buying a whole new egg.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• Deckchef
    Deckchef Posts: 40
    Options
    I can attest to jb weld on ceramic products. Just line up and clamp well and don't touch it for a couple days .... But then good as new :)
  • walleyv
    Options
    Duh!!!!...don't know why I said push it instead of pulling it.  I tell my customers every day how to handle a egg in the nest by pulling it.  Anyway I do know that furnace cement will work. 
  • Dr. Strangelove
    Options
    The bottom half of my Egg broke into five pieces after an unfortunate tumble four years ago, I put it back together with JB Weld and it has been fine since. 
  • Eggucated
    Eggucated Posts: 213
    Options
    Whiz has information on using JB Weld to repair the egg on his site. I haven't read it, but he's never steered me wrong!
    Thanks, Mike "Live in such a way that if anyone should speak badly of you, no one will believe it."
  • misu
    misu Posts: 213
    Options
    Will a JB weld hold through a clean burn? I had the same thing happen a while ago and I didn't want to risk it so we have a nice green flower pot in the yard. :)
    The mothership gave me a great deal on a base yesterday, I'm very happy