Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What is your standby?

Baysidebob
Baysidebob Posts: 489
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum

For me it's spatchcocked chiken top level direct on the adjustable rig.  Sometimes I slide salsa under the skin for great next-day fajitas, sometimes I just sprinkle some rub on.  There's just the two of us and a bird lasts for days in many forms.  If company shows up there's enough to go around.

I need some more "standbys".  What do you do that you can count on?

My actuary says I'm dead.

Comments

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    There's probably nothing I cook more often than flank steak. Always results in leftovers which can be done:
    1.) On french bread as a steak sandwich
    2.) Over rice 
    3.) Mixed or on the side with noodles
    4.) sliced in a pile with a baked potato on the side.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• ribnrun
    ribnrun Posts: 174
    Tri-Tip. My all time favorite and the most common cook. Lean cut, cooks fast, tastes great, less filling. I digress.

Rub with granulated garlic and Dizzy Pig Swamp Venom.
    Sear for 1.5 minutes a side.
    Cook direct @ 375 to 400 for 35 to 45 mins (145 internal is how I like it)
    Let it rest 10 minutes if you can resist before cutting against the grain.

I like to use Mesquite for smoke. It is strong, but man is it delicious with the garlic and venom.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    There's probably nothing I cook more often than flank steak. Always results in leftovers which can be done:
    1.) On french bread as a steak sandwich
    2.) Over rice 
    3.) Mixed or on the side with noodles
    4.) sliced in a pile with a baked potato on the side.

5. Cut in thin strips on top of salad with cherry tomatoes, red onion, gorgonzola cheese, and balsamic vinegar.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    edited March 2012

Tri-tip, pretty much been that way for years.  It is excellent for 2 up to very large parties.  Because of the irregular shape of the roast you can get everything from rare to medium+ on the same piece of meat.  This actually works out great for large group with varing tastes.  Leftover makes great sandwiches.

Have done it with Jack Daniels chips and red oak, both very good.

George

George
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Boneless chicken, with at least a little marinade.  Sausage is always easy too, and we almost always grill veggies.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Our company always wants a pork butt. It's never fails to satisfy.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Pork roasts.  I buy large tenderloins at BJ's,slice them into roast of about 2 - 2.5 pounds, and freeze them.  They defrost quickly in their bags n a kettle of cold water.  I have about a dozen marinades or rubs (e.g. or should that be egg., a soy-sauce based oriental marinade, an Italian one with Italian dressing, one with curry, a Maryland version with McCormick seasonings and Old Bay, etc.).  I will cook two with different treatments if there's company
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • Because I am in the food business we usually have just about anything and everything around. I keep ribeyes in individual vacuum bags that I take right out of the freezer and into the hot tub. But mostly it's things like shrimp, scallops and oysters because we can thaw them rather quickly and can cook in a variety of ways from Italian to New Orleans style.
  • paulheels
    paulheels Posts: 457
    Vacuum sealed steaks or pork chops. When in season good ole chitlins! I kid. I kid. My wife won't let me.

Paul
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Ribs always are a success at our house but they aren't really a spur of the moment meal.  Sausage, burgers, pork chops, chicken parts and steaks are a quick good meal as long as you have them in the house.

Gerhard
  • I really dont have a standby, I shop fresh daily and whatever I feel at the store is what I buy
    LET'S EAT
  • biznork
    biznork Posts: 112
    Tri-tip. I'm a California guy. What can I say?
  • Where at Biznork?
    LET'S EAT
  • biznork
    edited March 2012
    Camarillo in Ventura County
  • Biznork, Gonna be down in L.A. and Ventura for fire season,Gonna have to bring me some BBQ cuz gonna have with drawls

LET'S EAT
  • biznork
    I've got a friend that works for the Pasadena Fire Department. Small world.
  • Gonna have to feed 22 guys and will pay, But dont always know where we are gonna be. Will keep your contact in my phone

LET'S EAT
  • biznork
    We don't typically have fires around here. They're usually in Ojai or on the county line by Magic Mountain. If you're in the area, hit me up. I'd be glad to help feed you guys.
  • Will do  and Thanks!!!!!!!!
    LET'S EAT
  • biznork
    Going to tell my wife I need an XL. lol
  • That a boy!!!!!!!! And ya buddy from Pasadena would like that 2
    LET'S EAT
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Bacon wrapped beef filets or Dizzy Pig Firewalk Shrimp for a short cook and Boston butts if I know I'm having guests ahead of time.  Both are hard to screw up.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275

I asked a question on a previous post about dome vs. grill temp. on a direct cook. The purpose was to determine what dome temp. to use for direct cooking of BB's. I decided to try 300 dome with my AR oval grill at the felt line. Before we got the large Egg we would do BB's on a Weber gasser. Although we love low and slow ribs, I needed to come up with a way to do them when I didn't get home from work until 6 PM. Since the wife didn't like to mess with the grill, I couldn't start cooking until I got home and I didn't want to wait until 10 or 11 PM to eat, so I came up with a way to have ribs with a 1 hour cook. We've been doing these for the last 10 years or so, when time was a issue.

I'd have the wife take the ribs out of the fridge an hour before I got home and rub them with Worcestershire and season. Then I would cook for 30 minutes bone side down @ 325, flip and cook meat side down for 10 minutes, flip and add sauce and cook for another 20 minutes, pull and tent with alum. foil for 10-15 minutes.

The following pics are my 1st attempt to do a fast cook on the Egg @300 dome at the felt line.

2 racks cut in half to fit on the oval grill, 1 rack seasoned with Dizzy Dust Coarse and 1 seasoned with McCormicks Montreal Steak Seasoningimage

After 30 minutes flipped to meat sideimage

After 10 minutes flipped back to bone side and saucedimage

After 20 minutes, pulled and tented for 15 minutesimage

Sliced up and ready to eatimage

What I will do different next time is start the fire in 4 spots, half way between the center of the lump and fire box. On this cook I started the fire in 1 spot, dead center of the lump. This created some hot spots during the 1st 30 minutes of the cook. I may reduce the dome to 275 and cook at the felt line or add the extender to the AR and cook higher in the dome @ 300. If you want BB's and time is an issue, give this a try and post what you think.

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.