Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What size Rutland for a medium egg?

BlackhawkAviator
BlackhawkAviator Posts: 4
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
Ok.  I am tired of replacing my felt gasket so I am making the permanant switch.  I looked on Amazon and there are a ton of Rutland products.  Thanks.  Also, how do I seal it to the egg?

Comments

• NightwingXP
    NightwingXP Posts: 448
    I would also like to see some imput for this question BA. I just ordered a Rutland yesterday from Amazon and it was about $16 with shipping. The Rutland was a kit that included the glue and gasket ( 7' long ) and I just assumed it would fit. Hopefully I didn't screw up. the reviews for the kit I bought had numerous people on it stating that they had used that very kit to replace their BGE gaskets. I will look forward to feedback.
    Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!
  • I just put a Rutland on my large Egg. I used the adhesive that it came with at first and it never held. I finally went to my local O-Reilly auto parts store and bought a tube of Permatex Ultra Copper. I do believe it could survive tornado force winds now. At my local Ace hardware you can buy the Rutland gasket material by itself. I would do that and get the Permatex.
  • How think was the Rutland you bought?  They have several widths available, according to Amazon.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Also, most patio, fireplace, spa type places sell the gasket material by the foot if your ace doesn't carry it....
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    How think was the Rutland you bought?  They have several widths available, according to Amazon.

5/8" flat I believe.
  • How think was the Rutland you bought?  They have several widths available, according to Amazon.
    5/8" flat I believe.
    Awesome.  That's what I figured, but just wanted to check.
  • GADuckaholic
    GADuckaholic Posts: 33
    edited March 2012
    Yep, the 5/8 is the ticket! You actually bunch it up on itself as you go around the Egg, so it finishes a little wider...if that makes any sense.
  • NightwingXP
    NightwingXP Posts: 448
    Great I will go to my local auto parts store for that permatex copper as well. Thanks!
    Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!