Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Semi-Turbo Pork Butt?

Ragtop99
Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
I've been following the turbo butt threads and I'd like to try something in between a 350* turbo with foil and a long low and slow.  I'd like to do it without foil, if I can; no real reason other than I'm just not a fan of using it.

I'm doing a pork butt for Pres Day and would like to be able to do a 7lb - 8lb butt in 8 hours.  Would any of the following strategies work and produce a quality butt:

1) 300* for 8 hrs

2) 350* for 2 hrs, then 275* for 6 hrs

3) 275* for 6 hrs then 325* (or 350*) for 2 hrs

4) You tell me what works.  :)

I'll admit defeat and use foil if I have too, but some of you have to know a good strategy.
Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited February 2012
    Working for me is 350 till 160 and foil. Pull at 195 and eat. Oh, indirect and no mustard. Rubbed with Butt Rub the night before. Just saying.....Many ways to do a butt. 99% of them work.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    Can't help but wanted to point out that "Semi-Turbo Pork Butt" would be a great name for a rock band!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Mickey
    STPB sounds like something you might catch after liberty in a far away port.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

•  Now we can talk about the greatness of the BGE? A 7 to 8# butt at 275 should cook up real good in about 10 hours or till the temp reaches 190 then let rest in a warm off oven for 30mins. Some like to use a meat probe but I have not used one in many years. But 10 hours should be perfect for that size butt. But if you're starting out use one but don't lift the lid to look, be patience don't let the temptation to look over come you. Trust your thermometer. I know you'll look and you'll learn like we did!   <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Living the good life in MACDonna
  • I cook whole shoulders, 16-18 lbs in 14-17 hrs. When I cook picnics around the 8-12 lb range, it usually take an hr a lb. I cook at 275, grid. I just don't see how people are cooking 8 lb butts for 12+ hrs.
    I do not consider my cooks "turbo". There is no difference in cooking at 225-275 range. That's from personal experience. You get to the 300 area and you will start to see a difference in crust.
    Shoulders need the longer time and mild temps.
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    paulheels,
    I totally agree. 275 works great for me and they don't take nearly as long. I am buying in to the Mickey turbo-butt method and trying that next. It doesnt have to cook all night for me to be happy with it.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Mickey
    You are correct on the bark not as thick on my turbo cook. But it is still very good and I can see no reason (for me) to go on the longer cooks. 4.5lbs done in 3hr 17min and very good.

• Ragtop99
    30plus:  I don't peak and go by thermometer.  The first time I did one, the stall was so long that I did double check with another thermometer just to be sure.  I take them to 195*.

Paul:  I've used 250* dome and it seems to take at least 1.5 hrs/lb for me in the past.  Since it takes a while for grid and dome to equalize, it could be that I'm at 225 for the first hour or more.  Paul you said "You get to the 300 area and you will start to see a difference in crust."Tell me more about the difference?  Is it burnt?

Botch: Cut me in on some royalties when you start your new band!
  • Mickey
    edited February 2012

Hi54putty this is a 3hr 17min butt. It works, I will not go back to all day or all night or both. You still get a good bark. Will do one at Salado as I have never seen a butt cooked at a Fest at start time and ready for lunch.

• Hi54putty
    Mickey,
    I'm all in. Makes sense and looks great to me. With 2 little kids I don't need to spend any more time on cooks than necessary. Can't wait to try it. Thanks for the info.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • @ragtop,  when cooking at high temps, the bark will tend to burn if not wrapped.  when i cooked on my offset, my temp range was 275-300.  thats what I fluctuated around.  when the temp would hold around 300 or a little higher, the bark  was burnt.  I did not wrap then, and that was early in my cooking.  I do not personally have issues with higher temps, you HAVE to wrap in foil though.  
    I am just dumbfounded at how long it takes some people to cook butts.  I have never cooked a shoulder or part of it, that took longer than 1.5 hrs a lb.  13 hrs for a 8 lb butt is just crazy.  Especially since there is no added benefit, from my experience.  

I apologize I can not add a bunch of scientific jargon and facts, but my degree was in Peace, War and Defense and I am a wildland firefighter.  You will just have to take my cooking experience for it!

Paul
  • Conventional wisdom in the land of beef (Texas) has us smoking briskets low and slow (220°-225°).  My last brisket took 21 hours to get to temp.  However, I have heard that some competition BBQ cooks have gone to higher temps (300°-325°?), and thus, shorter cook times.

I may have to shift my paradigm of 30+ years and give it a try.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• @VI, I am very new to brisketing.  I was in Bastrop, TX in Oct 2010 and ate at a place called Benny's Texas BBQ.  some damn fine food he sells there.  That is what he cooks his at, 225-250.  That is what I usually cook them at, because he knows beef better than me.  That is also what I see as the majority of TX cookers say.   I would be surprised if they cooked as well at higher temps, I would bet they are not "as good".   I am not gtreat at guessing or gambling, so i could be wrong.  But I think I might be right.  Let us know, you people who have cooked briskets this high.

Paul
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited February 2012
    Paul,

You  were 30 miles from the BBQ Mecca of the world (Lockhart, TX).  I'm sure Benny's, Blacks, Kreuz's, Smitty's etc. all cook at low temps, and always will.  You can't beat success.  But, they have Spanish speaking employees that stay up all night babying their briskets.  I don't.  So, if I can achieve close to the same results in far less time, I'm for it.  Not saying I'm convinced though.  But, it's worth a try.

(I hope Benny's is still there after that devastating fire this summer.  Here's a picture towards Bastrop from Austin)

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Yeah, I was hoping to go to those fires, but was unable.  Bennys was farther West than the Bastrop fire, as far as I know.  I went to Kreuz's meat market, and it was great.  Benny had his old offset in the back of his place, he said he did not have to baby it anymore.  I was impressed.  knowing your equipment! 

Also, I was close to the Beef BBQ mecca of the world.  Cause round heeya, we are the BBQ mecca of the world, for pork! 
  • Where is "around heeya"?  (I'm reminded of My Cousin Vinney  :))  )

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• South Cack to the Cack in the North.  and I still have not figured out a way to spell how I say it and people understand.  
    Here, is the word, this is how it is pronounced.  He-e-ya.  but you would have to hear it to really know it

definitely not no cousin Vinny round heeya

Paul
  • Ragtop99
    If I have to use foil and speed it up, its ok.  The bark isn't critical on this cook as this is for Bo Ssam. At the end of the cook I need to cover it with a salt & brown sugar mixture and fire it 500* to glaze it.

I'll try 275* on the dome and report back.  I'd just like to achieve that normal bark for when I do normal pulled pork BBQ.
  • Ragtop99
    The butt hit 195* and is resting in the cooler.  In an hour it goes back on at *500 with a coating of brown sugar and a tiny bit of salt to finish it for use as Bo SSam.  Should only need 10 - 15 minutes to finish. 
    It was an 8lb butt and it cooked at 275 - 310* dome for just under 9 hrs.   The first hour was probably at 225 - 250* before it crept up to 310* and I slowly got it back down to around 290*.  The only rub was a sugar and salt combo (75%/25%) and I didn't use any smoking wood. Bark is pretty minimal as it is just the reddish color of a smoked meat.  No burning even with the sugar rub. 

Looks like 275* - 300* works for me.
  • Yep. usually an hr per pound for me at 275. Even when I do 20lb shoulders.

Paul
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    Um, "Bo SSam"??  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Um, "Bo SSam"??  
    Haha. Thought the same thing. Stuff happens to me when posting on phone. Kinda like the southern twang to it tho. Might have to start using it and define it myself!
  • Ragtop99
    Bo SSam is a Korean BBQ. 

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1136584

• Nice

Paul

• Hi54putty
    Mickey
    I am trying your turbo butt tomorrow (8 pound butt). 350 degrees dome until 160 internal, wrap in HDAF and cook until 195 internal, rest 1 hour and then eat.  I don't use the cooler method except to give myself some wiggle room for a specific dinner time.

I have every intention of doing them all like this from now on...assuming I am happy with the results.

Thanks for the info!
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • @ Hi54putty, I think you'll be disappointed in the results. Just man up and commit to low and slow. I'm embarrassed to be related to you.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• Hi54putty
    Not the first time I have heard that. I am expecting it to be fantastic...Mickey said so. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • OLD NORTH STATE BBQ CO.
    edited March 2012
    What am I missing? What is so labor intensive about cooking a butt? I've done several with tremendous success. Not that I'm great egger, but a butt is an easy cook. I use the Maverick and Wicked Good Charcoal. The temp doesn't change. For lunch I put it on at night and I sleepwhile it cooks. For dinner I put it on in the early morning and go back to bed. The dome is opened twice during the whole cook: once to put the butt on and once to take it off. I refuse to believe something isn't sacrificed by the shortened cook time and raising the cooking temperatures. I'm sure the turbo cook is good, but I refuse to believe its as good as traditional low and slow.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• Hi54putty
    Have 2 little girls and then give me a call. The timing and energy of everything gets harder. As much as anything else, I very rarely stay home for 14 hours at a time. I'm sure I could leave it but that would make me nervous.

Why make something harder than it is?

I'm on team Turbo Butt until further notice.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Mickey
    Mickey
    I am trying your turbo butt tomorrow (8 pound butt). 350 degrees dome until 160 internal, wrap in HDAF and cook until 195 internal, rest 1 hour and then eat.  I don't use the cooler method except to give myself some wiggle room for a specific dinner time.

I have every intention of doing them all like this from now on...assuming I am happy with the results.

Thanks for the info!

I am only going to do Turbo Butts from now. Just real good, why do the time.