Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

VI - This one's for you, buddy.. First Wok Pictures!

MaskedMarvel
MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
Admit it, he inspired a bunch of us...

My off the cuff stir fry cashew chicken ...

..guess I need a rice cooker....

imageimageimageimage
Large BGE and Medium BGE
36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

Comments

• JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551
    Nice!
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Good looking meal.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• MaskedMarvel
    Thanks!

I don't think I let the wok get up to a high enough temp to start...  Guess I'll have to do it again soon..

OH!  Also, as a footnote, my first fire started with 91% Isopropryl Alcohol.  Boy, does it work well..
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• NightwingXP
    NightwingXP Posts: 448
    Great looking meal MM! I ordered a Wok last week from Wok Shop.com and still waiting for it to get here. VI really inspired me to do it too! Cannot wait till next weekend. My weekend off and I should have it by then. Will be wokkin myself hopefully. Great look stir fry! Keep up the pics
    Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!
  • NightwingXP
    OH!  Also, as a footnote, my first fire started with 91% Isopropryl Alcohol.  Boy, does it work well..
    MM do you just spray it on the lump like lighter fluid and light?
  • MaskedMarvel
    MM do you just spray it on the lump like lighter fluid and light?
    Forgetting who recommended this method (I wanna say this was VI as well), I squirted it in three spots, waited a minute, and tossed in a match.  PHOOM!  I may have used a bit too much lol..
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• Randy1
    Randy1 Posts: 379

Looks great! I will have to try cashew chicken next

Maumelle, Arkansas
  • NightwingXP
    LOL good to know. Will have to try this. I get a little uneasy holding a propane bottle upside down to light my lump. I have a trigger igniter that is regulated to be used upside down but still gives me the heebie jeebies.
    :-SS
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    You have done well, Grasshopper.  You should now get one of those mystic Chinese lettering tattoos that translate to Beef With Broccoli.  =D>

@MM. Isn't the isopropyl alcohol great?  No chemical smell and the byproduct is carbon dioxide.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• MaskedMarvel
    You have done well, Grasshopper.  You should now get one of those mystic Chinese lettering tattoos that translate to Beef With Broccoli.  =D>

@MM. Isn't the isopropyl alcohol great?  No chemical smell and the byproduct is carbon dioxide.
    Sure got things going...

Congrats on 3,000 posts.  
    Thanks very much for all of your contributions.  On and off the forums.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• Village Idiot
    edited March 2012

..guess I need a rice cooker....

MM.  Consider doing some fried rice.  The trick is to cook the rice a day in advance, and leave it in the refrigerator, uncovered, to dry it out a little.
    8 ounces Shrimp, small, shelled and deveined
    ½ teaspoon Salt, kosher
    Black pepper, freshly ground
    ½ teaspoon Corn Starch
    2 tablespoons Peanut Oil, divided
    3 Eggs, beaten
    2 stalks Green onions , minced
    4 cups Rice, leftover, grains separated well
    ¾ cup Peas and Carrots, Frozen, defrosted
    1 tablespoon Soy Sauce
    1 teaspoon Sesame Oil
    1.In a bowl, toss the shrimp with the salt, pepper and cornstarch. Let marinate for 10 minutes at room temperature. Heat a wok on high heat. When the wok is hot enough for a bead of water to instantly sizzle and evaporate, add just 1 tablespoon of the cooking oil and swirl to coat wok.
    2.2 Add the shrimp, quickly spreading out around the cooking surface area so that they are not overlapping. Let fry, untouched for 30 seconds. Flip over and let the other side fry for 30 seconds, or until about 80% cooked through. Remove the shrimp from the wok onto a plate, leaving as much oil in the wok as possible.
    3.3 Turn the heat to medium, let the wok heat up again. Add the eggs, stirring in a quick motion to break up and scramble the eggs. When the eggs are almost cooked through (they should still be slightly runny in the middle), dish out of the wok into the same plate as the cooked shrimp.
    4.4 Use paper towels to wipe the same wok clean and return to high heat with the remaining 1 tablespoon of cooking oil, swirling to coat. When the oil is very hot, add the green onions and fry until fragrant, about 15 seconds. Add in the rice and stir well to mix in the green onions throughout. Spread the rice all around the wok surface area and let the rice heat up, untouched until you hear the bottoms of the grains sizzle, about 1-2 minutes. Use the spatula to toss the rice, again spreading the rice out over the surface of wok.
    5.5 Drizzle the soy sauce all around the rice and toss. Add the peas and carrots, the cooked eggs, shrimp and sesame oil, tossing to mix the rice evenly with all of the ingredients. Let everything heat back up again, until the rice grains are so hot they practically dance! Taste and add an additional 1 teaspoon of soy sauce if needed. Serves 4.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Village Idiot
    By the way, MM, your wok looks well seasoned.  This isn't your first rodeo, is it?

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Mickey
    Gary have you used this new ceramic wok?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Village Idiot
    No I haven't Mickey.  I have 3 woks and they're all carbon steel.  Once seasoned, they perform just as I like it.  As Grace Young says in Breath Of A Wok, you can't achieve Wok Hei in chao chinese cooking with a stainless steel wok, and that would apply to ceramic woks too.  It can only come from the seasoning of a carbon steel or iron wok.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Great looking cook!  
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • Mickey
    No I haven't Mickey.  I have 3 woks and they're all carbon steel.  Once seasoned, they perform just as I like it.  As Grace Young says in Breath Of A Wok, you can't achieve Wok Hei in chao chinese cooking with a stainless steel wok, and that would apply to ceramic woks too.  It can only come from the seasoning of a carbon steel or iron wok.

That and and you can buy 7 carbon steel woks for the price.

• galen
    galen Posts: 57

Kristi:  Mahalo !  I certainly enjoyed your writing and photos of Tokyo

Very well done.

Aloha

• Kristi:  Mahalo !  I certainly enjoyed your writing and photos of Tokyo

Very well done.

Aloha

Thank you!!  :D
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • MaskedMarvel
    By the way, MM, your wok looks well seasoned.  This isn't your first rodeo, is it?
    Believe it or not, that's this wok's first cook after getting the machine oil off and seasoning with salt and chives.  There's an Asian market in town that has them for $11 each like this, seasoned thru and thru.  Really like that place...

Is it standard white rice on that stir fried rice recipe?
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• Village Idiot
    Yep, any white rice is fine.  I use American Basmati, but the others are fine.  To tell the truth, I can't tell any difference in them.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• MaskedMarvel
    What do you do about the soot on the bottom of your wok?  I'm going though sponges like crazy here..
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• Village Idiot
    Soot on the outside bottom?  Nothing.  When I wash the wok, I'll wash the outside too, then put it on the stove to steam off all of the water and get the wok somewhat hot.  Then, I'll wipe both inside and outside with a paper towel with olive oil to prevent rusting.  (Olive oil because I keep that next to my stove).

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Mickey
    Wipe the outside with oil. I just tossed that wok that rusted like mad on the outside.Would it have hurt you to bring that up sooner. Oil the outside.Oil the outside.Oil the outside.Oil the outside.Oil the outside.Oil the outside.Oil the outside.

• Village Idiot
    Would it have hurt you to bring that up sooner. 
    Hmmmm, using my wife's logic, I guess I owe you a wok, huh?   :O

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Mickey
    My wife agrees with her :-@

• Mickey

Gary I just talked with the Wok Shop and they will season me a wok (save you the trouble, and thank you very much).  I orded a 10" to use on the Mini. Plus when I told her I just tossed the last one I bought from her she was upset I did not call her first. They are very nice people at the Wok Shop.

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I oiled the outside of mine last night when we were done. I noticed when I went to use it, that there was a bit of rust from the first time after not oiling. Won't do that again.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Village Idiot

They are very nice people at the Wok Shop.

Yes they are.  On my last wok order, they wrote a note to be sure I have a spatula.  I know they didn't do it for the sale, just for customer service.

I didn't know they'd season your wok.  Good for them.  What are they going to charge for that?

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Mickey
    $5.

• Village Idiot
    edited March 2012
    $5.
    Wow.  Amazing.  First class company.

I'm sure just the electricity cost for my initial baking cost more than that.

Why don't you invite them to the Salado Eggfest?  It's March 17th.
    =))

Dripping Springs, Texas.