Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Different types of smoke wood-how many on hand?

Options
lousubcap
lousubcap Posts: 32,341
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum

Just curious as to the types of smoke wood others may keep "at the ready".  My reservoir-Jack Daniels soaked oak, white oak, cherry, apple, hickory and pecan. Sometimes tough to appreciate the smoke differences after several low&slow libations before the end results.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Have what you do except the apple and have Mesquite
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    Cherry, apple and pecan here.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Mickey
    Options
    Cherry, apple and pecan here.

Mike
    Mike that Jack Daniels  is fun just to open and inhale. Good on steak and burgers.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mike8it
    Mike8it Posts: 468
    Options
    Apple, cherry, hickory, pecan
  • mustgrill
    mustgrill Posts: 141
    Options
    Hickory, Pecan, Apple, Peach and Mesquite. I really can't tell much from the peach and apple. I use mostly Hickory, Apple and Mesquite. Pecan is really great on Beef Filet wrapped with bacon. I have bought so many over the years these are the 4 I like and the 3 I use most.
    Located in Western North Carolina
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    Hickory, Apple, Cherry, and wine soaked Alder
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    Pecan, hickory, oak, and mesquite. 

Pecan is always for pork, and the rest are dependent on what I want at the time (hickory for delicate smoke, oak for heavy smoke, and mesquite for it's distinctive flavor on beef.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• carlharper
    Options
    Oak wine barrel staves, Apple, Cherry, Peach, Pear, Apricot, Plum and Hickory

East Fallowfield PA

KCBS Master CBJ/CTC

Large and Small BGE

BBQ Guru Onyx Oven Smoker

Pit Barrel Cooker

• pab
    pab Posts: 273
    Options
    Apple, cherry, hickory, pecan
    +1
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Options
    Pecan
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• ribmaster
    ribmaster Posts: 209
    Options

Pecan and black cherry...home cut.

Hickory and apple...store bought.

I avoid mesquite wood and charcoal.

I grill therefore I am.....not hungy.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Persimmon, white oak, red oak, apple, cherry, peach, fig, hickory, pear, alder and probably a couple more but can't remember.
  • Mickey
    Options
    Oak wine barrel staves, Apple, Cherry, Peach, Pear, Apricot, Plum and Hickory
    Where do you get the wine barrel staves?

• Mickey
    Options

Pecan and black cherry...home cut.

Hickory and apple...store bought.

I avoid mesquite wood and charcoal.

I use cherry on chicken/turkey. How is the black cherry different?

• Rzeancak
    Rzeancak Posts: 193
    Options
    I have 3  Apple, Mystique, JD

apple is the best in my opinion
    A child can ask questions a wise man can't answer!!!
    Canada
    Large @ Small BGE 

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    Mesquite is my go to wood.   Recently picked up some peach, pecan, and apple
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • GatorNation29
    Options
    I've usually keep apple, pecan, JD and cherry. I want to try grape vines, I have a source, it's just getting time to go collect them.
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Options
    All sore bought; mesquite (I never use), hickory, cherry, apple, pecan, alder. Mostly hips except hickory.
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    Home cut - cherry, oak, pear, and grapevine.  Store bought - hickory and apple.  I like to use grapevine with salmon.  Don't really like pear, so I reserve it for fire wood.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • NightwingXP
    NightwingXP Posts: 448
    Options
    I keep two bags each of hickory, apple and cherry on hand. I also keep one bag of mesquite and a partial of maple. Didn't really like the maple. Apple and cherry are my tried and trues. I like to 50/50 apple and hickory on ribs. Great flavor. Never used pecan. I just use chips.
    Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,752
    Options
    hickory bark, pecan, mesquite, cherry, apple, grapevine, guava, maple, oak, rosemary. the pecan, mesquite, guava is bought, the rest is found around the house
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    2 kinds of oak, hickory, apple, alder, cherry, sugar maple, pecan. Have had peach, plum, beech and pimento (allspice wood.) The pimento was almost like a perfume. Made the yard smell great, but I thought the aroma overpowered the taste of the food.
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    I just ordered apple, peach, and cherry from Fuita..  Really looking forward to checking out their product...
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Maple, apple, cherry, alder, JD barrel chips, hickory and Steven Raichlen's olive wood

Steve 

Caledon, ON