Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meeco Gasket

BubbaSambo
BubbaSambo Posts: 36
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
I may have screwed the pooch.  I ordered a Rutland Gasket online (from Buy.com) and when it came in the mail, the logo wasn't Rutland - it was Meeco Red Devil.  It looked just like a Rutland Gasket and came with glue that said it was rated up to 2000 degrees.  Well, I had already removed my original gasket (using acetone - it came right off), and I wanted to get the new gasket on.  Anyway, I went ahead and applied the Meeco gasket using their glue.  

I did it last night and I probably hung around for an hour before I left and it still hadn't set up.

Have I created a major malfunction?
RMFT LBGE

Comments

• I suggest removing the meeco and going gasketless. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    just go with what you have.  no need to undo what is done
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Hmmm..  Well, I reckon I'll leave it.  I'm sure looking forward to getting home tonight and seeing if that glue has set up good.

I was hoping someone here could reassure me on the effectiveness of the Meeco gasket / glue...
    RMFT LBGE
  • Hmmm..  Well, I reckon I'll leave it.  I'm sure looking forward to getting home tonight and seeing if that glue has set up good.

I was hoping someone here could reassure me on the effectiveness of the Meeco gasket / glue...
    Never heard of a "meeco" (sounds like Maaco - uh oh, better get Maaco!!) :)

Perhaps you're the unwilling guinea pig in a new Egg-speriment regarding a previously unused / unheard of brand!!!

Best of luck, and let us know what you think of your Meeco!!!
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • I just googled it and it looks the same as Rutland. As stike says stay with what you have

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stike
    if the adhesive is the balck water-based adhesive, it will eventually start to cleave off.  i had my rutland start to come loose after a while, and eventually just tore it off, ran a bead of silicone gasket maker/adhesive, and pressed the old gasket (with rutland adhesive still attached) back down.  no problems.  egg is airtight, and actually hisses when i shut it.

i've used a BGE without a gasket, and with lighter lumps, it can keep burning.  gasket was originally only to keep the lid from clanging shut, but since we have all discovered the ease of control of an airtight cooker, i prefer a gasket.  saves fuel, too.

Here is a picture I took last night after I applied it.  The picture wasn't taken with the gasket as the focal point, but perhaps it is still viewable.  

It did seem to be a water based (at least, it was very low viscosity).  

My primary concern is that I may have tainted the ceramics with this glue.  I mean, if it comes off and costs me $15 or whatever for another Rutland and proper cement - hell, I'm fine with that.  My biggest worry is that I've done something that will be irreparable.  So long as I only have to deal with some moderate bother, 2 tears in a bucket...
    RMFT LBGE
  • stike
    you haven't tainted a damn thing.

though i think a non-BGE gasket might (might) void the warranty)

• you haven't tainted a damn thing.

though i think a non-BGE gasket might (might) void the warranty)

Well, I sure hope not (re: the warranty)

Thanks for the reassurance.  I'll keep an eye on it and report back on the effectiveness of the gasket.  I did notice last night, when I was searching for information on Meeco, that Rutland has a copyright infringement suit filed against them (as of April, 2011 IINM).
    RMFT LBGE
  • stike
    if the adhesive is the same as rutland, it's a latex i think, water based.

• if the adhesive is the same as rutland, it's a latex i think, water based.

Its hard to believe a latex would be rated to 2000 degrees.  It did seem watery, or drippy - whatever the proper descriptive of that would be.
    RMFT LBGE
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Bubba - get some smoke on that egg, that new look is disgusting.
  • Bubba - get some smoke on that egg, that new look is disgusting.
    My wife is in Birmingham until Friday.  I promised her I wouldn't fire it up without her.  We saved up and waited a long time for the Egg.  It wouldn't be fair to set out on the maiden grillage without her!!  :)
    RMFT LBGE
  • Shucks, if you think that's wierd, try this:

The Naked Whiz
  • @Naked Whiz, I sure thought you would have had some commentary on the Meeco Gasket / Glue.  I searched your site for guidance, and found nothing regarding the Meeco - I wish you would look into it.  I did use your methodology for application of a Rutland gasket for the application of the Meeco.  Though, the Meeko said it was only 6' long (72"); I had plenty to go the circumference of the lip.  By the way, nice looking table.  What happened, did you break the bottom portion and have to get a new one?
    RMFT LBGE

The Ying and the Yang! Looks photoshopped lol
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    NW, what on earth is that?  Bubba, you are a good man.
  • stike
    buuba.
    the whiz is not an on demand research arm of the forum. :))

it has to be similar to the rutland, which, after looking, is 'nothing' more than silica in various forms with water as the solvent.  if it is the black stuff, you are fine.  it just doesn't hold as well as the silicone gasket sealant.

the rutland is basically sand, which is how it gets to 2000 degrees.  their own MSDS info lists for forms of silica, with water as solvent/binder.

when it comes off, it comes off clean.  there's nothing in it that will soak into or ruin the egg.  it's inert
  • eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    I may have screwed the pooch.  I ordered a Rutland Gasket online (from Buy.com) and when it came in the mail, the logo wasn't Rutland - it was Meeco Red Devil.  It looked just like a Rutland Gasket and came with glue that said it was rated up to 2000 degrees.  Well, I had already removed my original gasket (using acetone - it came right off), and I wanted to get the new gasket on.  Anyway, I went ahead and applied the Meeco gasket using their glue.  

I did it last night and I probably hung around for an hour before I left and it still hadn't set up.

Have I created a major malfunction?
    What happened to the original BGE gasket? The egg looks new to me.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • buuba.

it has to be similar to the rutland, which, after looking, is 'nothing' more than silica in various forms with water as the solvent.  if it is the black stuff, you are fine.  it just doesn't hold as well as the silicone gasket sealant.

the rutland is basically sand, which is how it gets to 2000 degrees.  their own MSDS info lists for forms of silica, with water as solvent/binder.

when it comes off, it comes off clean.  there's nothing in it that will soak into or ruin the egg.  it's inert
    Thanks.  I hope I didn't come off as though I were barking out orders.  I think The Naked Whiz' site is extremely helpful and informative.  I only meant it as a humble request.  
    RMFT LBGE
  • stike
    feel free to tell him what to do.  other wise he sits there watching oprah and jerry springer

• What happened to the original BGE gasket? The egg looks new to me.
    The Egg is brand new.  Based on reading this site, I understood that taking the original off was easier prior to cooking on the Egg - I imagine this was true because it was very easy.

Considering that, from what everyone here says, it is not a matter of if but when, an original gasket will separate; I chose to go ahead and make the replacement at the beginning.
    RMFT LBGE
  • feel free to tell him what to do.  other wise he sits there watching oprah and jerry springer
    Haha!  My wife already has that job on lockdown!!
    RMFT LBGE
  • Wait a minute,
    buuba.

The Naked Whiz and Siri are not the same program?  Does this mean he will not in fact call me Rock God?
    Adam
  • stike
    he'll call you whatever you want, sailor, for three dollars.
    imageimage

Hell, looks pretty good and it seems to be adhered like a motherscratcher! Now, I just need to decide whether or not to leave the top gasket on or remove it.  Then fire that bad boy up Friday night!
    RMFT LBGE
  • Well, the gasket glue failed last night on a 1,000' burn with rain. Will replace with Rutland + better cement. What is the recommended cement?
    RMFT LBGE
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited March 2012
    Well, the gasket glue failed last night on a 1,000' burn with rain. Will replace with Rutland + better cement. What is the recommended cement?
    Most use Permatex Ultra Copper (about $6 at any auto supply store).
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• stike
    edited March 2012
    keep the exact same gasket and glue and simply squirt a line of gasket-maker (adhesive) around the rim.  no need to buy a new gasket.  i'm betting it slipped off cleanly from the rim, but the adhesive is stuck tight to the gasket, right?

it needed to cure at temp, not simply dry.  it's water based, and that just wicks into the ceramic.  the fiberglass gasket works best with permatex automotive high temp gasket selar.  found at an auto parts store or hardware store.

i tore off my rutland when the rutland adhesive failed (it's for steel/iron, not ceramic), and simply reused it, old adhesive and all, but adhred with the permatex.  that was so long ago i have forgotten about it.

you won't gain anything by buying a new gasket.

Love the bottle openers Whiz.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL