Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

B&B or Royal Oak?

bhugg
bhugg Posts: 317
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
In you opinion...which is better?
Large BGE Dallas, TX

Comments

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    B&B??  I have always been an RO fan, in fact, I have over one hundred pounds of green bag Steakhouse left from last years Menards sale.  That being said, I won't buy it again as there is better stuff, I mean way better stuff out there.  I was a huge fan of Ozark Oak until I found a local BBQ specialty shop that carries "The Good One" brand lump.  This stuff is the real deal, large pieces, few fines and good smelling American hardwood.  Seventeen bucks for a 20 lb. bag.  I'm in with both feet on this!

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • 2spicy
    2spicy Posts: 18

Hey there Bowhunter, can you please define "The Good One" as I have never heard of this brand before?
    I just personally took a very long drive & picked up  50 10# bags of Ozark Oak lump from the company in Yellville Ark which should last me about 5 years but will not be trying it out for a day or so.
    After meeting the folks @ Ozark Oak Charcoal Company even though it was brief I must say they were some of the nicest people I have ever encountered, super nice down to earth folks, lost spirit these days!
    I have heard allot of positive on this brand so I decided to take the plunge.
    I haven't opened up a bag yet but every one I handled felt very good w/o being able to feel small particles also every bag is as if it was a fresh new shirt that has just been starched & pressed with no wrinkles on the paper packaging & not botched up from over handling, even the pigtails on the top tare away sleeve were pristine.
    I get 20 to 30 hours cook time with 10#s mix of low & slow and regular brief cooks & I hope to have many years of fun cooking on my Primo JR with this charcoal, Ouch as I may have hit a nerve there here for going with the Primo but I try to buy American every chance I get!
  • Shawn
    Shawn Posts: 356
    Royal Oak size went from 10lbs to 8.4 and charges same price. Thats why I dont buy it anymore!
    Cheers! Shawn My Blog: http://hrmcreativebbq.blogspot.com/ My Dads Custom Handles Blog http://dannyscarvings.blogspot.com
  • I really like B&B.  I get it at Academy for around $12/ 20lb bag.  Some people say that it creates a lot more ash, but I have never had a problem with it.  I think for several dollars a bag cheaper than most of the others, it is a great value, and a great Lump to use.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Haven't tried the B & B yet, but to tell you the truth I just don't see what all the fuss is over royal oak. Other than the price (which just went up with the smaller size) and convenience it's just average from the bags I have used. Small pieces. I will use it but it's not anything I need to hoard.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Randy1
    Randy1 Posts: 379
    2spicy-what did ten pounds cost at the plant in Yellville? We have family in that area and I am up there often.
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • BOWHUNR

Hey there Bowhunter, can you please define "The Good One" as I have never heard of this brand before?
    The Good One Lump.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag87.htm

Omaha, NE
  • 2spicy
    2spicy Posts: 18

Thanks for the link to nakedwhiz, cool site.

Randy it cost $3.80 per bag & same price per bag even if you get a pallet of 64 & no tax if your leaving the state with it.

Also my updated Garmin Gps could not find their address but I added the location while in the Ozark Oak driveway so if anyone ever needs it I can pass on the coordinates.

• B&B??  I have always been an RO fan, in fact, I have over one hundred pounds of green bag Steakhouse left from last years Menards sale.  That being said, I won't buy it again as there is better stuff, I mean way better stuff out there.  I was a huge fan of Ozark Oak until I found a local BBQ specialty shop that carries "The Good One" brand lump.  This stuff is the real deal, large pieces, few fines and good smelling American hardwood.  Seventeen bucks for a 20 lb. bag.  I'm in with both feet on this!

Mike
    If I'm not mistaken you are in Omaha right Bowhunr? Where do you go to get "The Good One" lump? I live south of Council Bluffs and would drive to town to get some good lump. Thankee Sir!!
    Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!
  • BOWHUNR
    Hi Nightwing,

I buy it at a BBQ shop on the Southwest corner of 156th & Dodge Steet behind the BP station and in the same plaza as Ezzz'z Lounge.  It's called H.U.B. (Helping U BBQ).  Stop over and check it out.  It's a great little store.  Good prices on lump, wood and a large variety of rubs and sauces including Blue's Hog.  The only downfall is that they sell Kamado Joe and not BGE.

Mike

Omaha, NE
  • Thanks BH! I will make a trip up and check it out. $17 for a 20lb bag is not too bad at all. Especially if its good stuff! I have been wanting to check out some rubs as my Woo from Tom will be arriving tomorrow and I have a craving for some low and slow. Appreciate the info! I will prob make a trip this week or beginning of next.
    Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!
  • BOWHUNR
    Trust me, you won't be sorry.  It is so much better than RO or Ozark Oak I'm not even sure what to compare it to.

Mike

Omaha, NE
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    edited February 2012
    In comparing B&B Oak with RO American, B&B is typically cheaper.  I can usually find B&B in N. TX at $0.60 or so a pound.  B&B sparks if lighting with any type of torch, sparks a lot.  Both have about the same burn time.  Both have about the same lump sizes per bag.   B&B may give a little more oak flavor.  Ash build up is about the same with both.  To me, they are about interchangeable, except for B&B sparking.  Both have minimal ash fly during a cook.  B&B is consistent with 10 or 20 lb bags.  I always have to double check lbs with RO.  My local walmart usually carries both.   B&B is good on long (Q) cooks in the large as you don't have to light it but one spot and adds a mild oak flavor.....RO American better for grilling, not as much sparking with the torch.

RO South America is no bueno.......might as well burn cardboard.

Hope this helps.  t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    tjv is right about R/O south american.  spits ash and dust while cooking, especially at high heat.  utter crap.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Mike8it
    Mike8it Posts: 468
    Damn, I have never seen so much ash get thrown around.
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Guess I am going to have to switch - my dealer has not had BGE charcoal in stock for 2 weeks.  
    Cookin in Texas
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I have used ozark oak and wicked good and the wicked good wasn't worth the $30 a bag it cost at my local store. I also dont think it was any better than the ozark oak i got. For $17 a bag I would use it for sure. I just picked up 40 pounds of cowboy for $27 with tax and will be perfectly happy. The last bags I got of cowboy had alot of big pieces the only drawback was I did have a couple handfuls of small pieces and dust left over but for the price I have no problem throwing away 50 cents.
  • XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    Just bought 35# bag of Frontier lump(made in america) from BJs wholesale. Have not used it yet but it has a pretty good review. Cost......$19.99
    More meat please !! :-)