Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is this a good package price?

JMSetzler
JMSetzler Posts: 75
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
I talked to a friend of mine today who runs a shop that sells eggs and accessories in a town up in the mountains about an hour from me.  He made me a price of $899 plus tax for a large egg, plate setter, nest, bag of charcoal, and box of starters.  To me, that sounds like a pretty darned good deal... Any thoughts?

Comments

• Sounds like a deal to me,But get the Wings also unless your making a table for it
    LET'S EAT
  • I am going to make a table for it.  The nest is only gonna be used temporarily...
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    edited February 2012

i would not buy the nest,. same the bucks and buy some accessories in a while.  sit it on a paver stone until you get the table built. nest is worth about $100

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• i would not buy the nest,. same the bucks and buy some accessories in a while.  sit it on a paver stone until you get the table built. nest is worth about $100

I thought about that as well, but the nest is basically free at this price.  I got a quote from another local shop today who wanted $869 for the egg, $65 for the plate setter, and $149 for the nest.  That's almost $200 higher. 
  • i would not buy the nest,. same the bucks and buy some accessories in a while.  sit it on a paver stone until you get the table built. nest is worth about $100

I thought about that as well, but the nest is basically free at this price.  I got a quote from another local shop today who wanted $869 for the egg, $65 for the plate setter, and $149 for the nest.  That's almost $200 higher. 
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    In Ca. that set up would list for over $1,150.00
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • That is a killer deal..... considering the Egg alone usually retails for $850-879, you are pretty much getting the Nest ($150) & PS ($65) for nothing.
  • meat73
    meat73 Posts: 140
    Sounds real good but If you want a table I would just get it without the nest and take that money and start your table if you dont get to fancy a $100 will go a long way towards building a nice table.
  • Mike8it
    Mike8it Posts: 468
    I paid $1,000 for large egg, nest, shelves and delivery and setup in December. The dealership tried to charge $1,300. Sounds like a good deal to me.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Sounds real good but If you want a table I would just get it without the nest and take that money and start your table if you dont get to fancy a $100 will go a long way towards building a nice table.
    I agree. 4 cinder blocks and 1 18x18 paver stone will cost you about $10-14 at Home Depot or lowes. This will hold you over till you get your table built and you can put the $87 towards ceramic grill store or your table.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cazzy
    I paid $837 (total) for large egg, lump, ash tool, grid gripper and two boxes of starters. You're getting a great deal and even if you paid more, the egg makes you forget the price tag after each succulent piece of meat.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

Do you have any EggFests going on in your part of the world? Look at the price of Demo Eggs (used 8 hours) and in Salado we are charging $745 plus tax for what you listed and  some are less and some are more. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• cazzy

Do you have any EggFests going on in your part of the world? Look at the price of Demo Eggs (used 8 hours) and in Salado we are charging $745 plus tax for what you listed and  some are less and some are more. 

Mickey, will any vendors have smalls?

• I'm not sure where you are located. I literally had a friend call me about an hour ago and asked me if $750 plus a $20 butcher shop card was a good price for a large egg, nest, grill gripper, ash tool, and a bag of Green Egg charcoal. I told him it was.
  • Mickey
    edited February 2012
    I'm not sure where you are located. I literally had a friend call me about an hour ago and asked me if $750 plus a $20 butcher shop card was a good price for a large egg, nest, grill gripper, ash tool, and a bag of Green Egg charcoal. I told him it was.

It is. The only thing our package has yours is a platesetter (not a big deal ((IMO)))  It just seems EggFests have real good prices.
    www.saladoeggheadgathering.blogspot.com

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey

Mickey, will any vendors have smalls?
    Yes, most if you ask before hand.Just Larges is what is brought out for the most part. Last year we had 10 adn this year we have 26 Larges plus all the Mini and Smalls. We have several demo Small $499 w/nest only. The Mini was $399 w/nest only. But we had to cut off ordering last Friday for all but the Large size. Just ask your Fest person, they can help.

• I'm with Mickey on this one. You can definitely get a better deal if you can make to an Eggfest. I'm impatient and usually not able to wait though. Luckily I went to a local Home &  Garden event here in MN and the BGE rep there doing a demo and had package prices. May be worth looking around for that too since spring is right around the corner.

When I saw the price for the Salado Eggfest I got a hold of a buddy in San Antonio. He preordered one of the demo's the next day. That price is hard to beat.

Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • Mickey
    edited February 2012

TO see where the EggFests are in your part of the world look at the top of this page at: """And, why not make this your year to get out and enjoy one of the many EGGfests around the country ... CLICK HERE.''''''

Also go to the Naked Whiz site:    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm

Then go to the part about DEMO EGG's. Most all have them.

• Mickey

@ Scooter  are you going to make Salado or just have one picked up?

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929

Mickey, how does one find out about eggfests around their area? I am in Columbia, SC.

JMSetzler, it is hard to come by BGE stuff in my area. There is only one dealer in Columbia and they charge a ton. What you listed would be around $1200 here. Great deal.

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Just saw your post Mickey. Thanks.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Mickey - I used to live in Schertz. Moved to MN year and half ago. Much as I'd like, I can't get down there for the Eggfest. Still have friends there, and I convinced one of them in Schertz to get one of yours. He's been eating my Q for years and I finally got him off the fence to get one. He's gonna love it, and I expect you'll see him there next year as a participating egger.
    Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • Sounds like a good deal to me. I agree with other postings. Save your money on the nest. I built my table in a few hours and spent about $200 on lumber. I used Trex pvc decking for the lower shelf. The counter top will be here this week. My buddy made me a concrete counter top. I'll post pics after it is installed.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • I can't save any money by NOT taking the nest on the package deal price.  I'll probably sell the nest after I get my table built. 
  • Chubbs,

You should check out the EggFest in Georgia in May....http://www.mountainegg.com/
  • Interesting post.  I bought 2 large BGEs last August  from 2 different dealers 130 miles apart.  My Louisville dealer offered large BGE, plate setter, ash tool, bag of BGE lump, wax starters plus table for $1,000, delivered, assembled and set up.  In Jamestown, KY (lakehouse) I told dealer about the Louisville price and got same deal. The table from Jamestown dealer was better than the other, solid cedar, lacquered, very nice.  Will probably build a stone table in Louisville; love the one Choke did...will copy it.

• Interesting post.  I bought 2 large BGEs last August  from 2 different dealers 130 miles apart.  My Louisville dealer offered large BGE, plate setter, ash tool, bag of BGE lump, wax starters plus table for $1,000, delivered, assembled and set up.  In Jamestown, KY (lakehouse) I told dealer about the Louisville price and got same deal. The table from Jamestown dealer was better than the other, solid cedar, lacquered, very nice.  Will probably build a stone table in Louisville; love the one Choke did...will copy it.

Dayum!  You got a deal!!
    RMFT LBGE
  • I didn't even realize it was a good deal at the time.  Louisville dealer had same offer at Christmas time; daughter got one for son in law. 

• cazzy

Interesting post.  I bought 2 large BGEs last August  from 2 different dealers 130 miles apart.  My Louisville dealer offered large BGE, plate setter, ash tool, bag of BGE lump, wax starters plus table for $1,000, delivered, assembled and set up.  In Jamestown, KY (lakehouse) I told dealer about the Louisville price and got same deal. The table from Jamestown dealer was better than the other, solid cedar, lacquered, very nice.  Will probably build a stone table in Louisville; love the one Choke did...will copy it.

Dayum!  You got a deal!!
    He sure did. I feel so hosed, but I tried every local dealer and got the best I could in San Antonio. Oh well, I still love my egg and have zero regrets for paying more. That is very uncommon for me to say that because I'm a huge online bargain shopper an never buy impulsively. It appears the egg purchase is similar to purchasing a car.

• The  stores in the Hendersonville area all of that listed is $1100.00 plus some change. Sounds good to me.
    Located in Western North Carolina