Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket

Jsnyder
Jsnyder Posts: 1
edited February 2012 in Root
I cooked a 13lb brisket that turned out tough and with little smoke flavor.  I was told to put the brisket on the grill right from the fridge to maximize the size of the smoke ring.  I use a DigiQ blower to keep the temp steady and set the Egg to cook at 215 degrees. I used hickory chunks and got plenty of smoke for hours, yet no smoke ring in the meat.   The brisket was on for 18 hours and ony reached in internal temp of 160 degrees.  I think it should have gone until the internal temp was 190 but I couldn't hold dinner any longer.  Also I think if it went to 190 it would have been dry as a bone.  Any suggestions for a better outcome next time?   JS

Comments

• Cook a little hotter and get your temp up to around 200. When a fork twists the meat easily you are done. It won't be dry.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,318
    All I can get are flats and they run around 2 hrs/# at a dome of 250+/-.  I plan for that and if finished early then wrap and pack with HDAF and into a towel lined cooler for holding.  Little Steven is right (and should be with almost 17k posts).  Twisted fork (or a probe that slides in and out with a "feels like butter") tender is the end point in the thickest part of the flat; somewhere in the 190-205*F range.  Give it more time and know that you can easily hold it in a cooler for three to four hours before slicing.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • You can also crutch it when it plateaus (160ish).  It'll get to 200 much faster that way.  I would set your DigiQ to 250 for sure.  As for smoke rings -- they're overrated.  The most important thing you can do is cook to internal temps.  Cook until 195-205.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    edited February 2012
    And for what it's worth, I'm a real pro with briskets.  I've cooked a whopping total of one...
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Doesn't sound like it was done. I don'even crack the lid to check till the maverick reads 195 on the meat temp probe.
    Cookin in Texas
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Forgot to add, my knowledge comes more from my undercooking experience than from my successful cooks. The folks on here convinced me to leave it cooking. - after I learned that has been Disneyland. That conquered the brisket mystique for me.
    Cookin in Texas