Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

boneless beef chuck short ribs

Hungry Joe
Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
While shopping in Costco today I saw this package of meat that looked good to me for some reason, it  may have been that I hadn't eaten lunch yet. Anyway I picked up a pack thinking someone here might have some ideas on what to do with them. Should I cook them low and slow like ribs? Anyone have a suggestion?

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    never seen that, but it has chili or beef stew written all over it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • MikeG
    MikeG Posts: 174

Costco also sells that cut in 3" thick slabs.   I smoked a couple of those last night to 200 deg internal while doing pork butts and the flavor was every bit as good as brisket IMO.     I'll also add a couple of them to the edges of the grid next time I'm doing a batch of wings.  Just a great cut of beef IMO.

I also buy these 3" thick ones and put them in the freezer, then slice them 3/8" thick before they are fully frozen.  These are great marinated then quick charred on the Lodge Sportsman hibachi.

• Hungry Joe
    Yes chilli and stew where my first thoughts then using Google I came up
    with some Korean short rib recipes and started thinking I might go that route.
  • Hungry Joe
    Mike, how long did it take to get them to 200 degrees?
  • MikeG

Hmmm, seemed like about 3 - 4 hrs at 250. But I had 12 lbs meat in there with water in the drip pan. 

Can't remember exactly when I put them on but I pulled them at 1am.  My wife is early to bed and I was kind of heart broken she couldn't taste them right off the KJ.     The flavor and stretch was just like my best (note, not THE best) brisket. 

I came to the conclusion that I'll smoke these rather than brisket when we have guests this summer as you really can't screw them up and they cook so much faster.   I smoked them with a bit of pecan wood on the coals. 

Good stuff!

• Hungry Joe
    Great, I just happen to have some pecan chunks I picked up a few weeks back. I still may do some type of marinade but I think I am going low and slow. Thanks.
  • MikeG
    Mind you, I'm talking the 3"ers.   I think you'd dry those thin guys out trying to smoke them.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    "boneless ribs".... 

[-(

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Hungry Joe-I have 2 packages of these Boneless Chuck Short Ribs in my fridge along with a package of BB ribs..all from Costco.  I'm thinking about cooking the Short Ribs along with the BB Ribs..225 for 2 hours, then foil for 2 hours then add some bbq sauce for the final 10-15 minutes..this is how I've done my BB Ribs in the past and they've come out good..hopefully it will work for the Short Ribs.  How did you end up cooking them, and how did they turn out?
    thanks!
  • sjr
    sjr Posts: 3
    How did the ribs come out?  I've been trying to experiment with the boneless short ribs from costco as well.  I smoke them for 4-5 hours.  I get great flavor but I'm trying to get them butter tender which has been elusive