Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Should I just buy a table

Mike8it
Mike8it Posts: 468
edited February 2012 in Off Topic
Cedar or Cypress?

Comments

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    If you're buying one go stainless.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Like Mike says go SS unless you like maintance. I like the nest to be able to move at will and to travel with eggs.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• My table frame is made of pressure treated lumber. You can stain the lumber once every few years and it will be fine. My top is a custom made concrete counter top. No maintenance there. My lower shelf is made of Azek decking. No maintenance.

Another option is to build out of pt pine, much cheaper than cypress. You can make your top out of Azek or trex Pvc decking and use pvc trim to cover the pine. Still no maintenance.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • NecessaryIndulg
    NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
    edited February 2012
    @Mike8it - where do you live?  I live on a barrier island in Florida -- a SS table will corrode in no time from the salt air. 
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • Mike8it
    Mike8it Posts: 468
    edited February 2012
    I live in eastern nc (Greenville). I am about 75-80 miles away from the beach. Me and a friend are planning on building a table but we are having trouble finding the wood. No lumber yard carries cedar or cypress. My friend said he did see some scrap cedar and suggested we build with cypress due to cedar being so soft, he could run his fingernail over it and scratch it. I have also entertained the thought of making it out of teak or ipe but will probably go with cypress if we can get the lumber yard to do such a small order for us. He also suggested not to put any type of poly on it as it will crack and peel and be a hassle to maintain. I think we are just going to oil it pretty heavy and maintain it with oil once a year. I saw some really nice tables pre-made but I'm a little hesitant to pay $600-$900 when we could make it for 1/2 that
  • Mike8it...I have a cedar table and the only problem I have had so far is, where the cover sits directly on the wood surface the finish is starting to curl up. The wood is fine. Living in central Alabama it gets really hot and my egg sits out in the sun on my deck. Altho the cover is vented it still gets very hot.

Bob
    Alex City Al

Opelika, Alabama