Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Scallops and asparagus cooked just above the coals last evening

Options
hogaholic
hogaholic Posts: 225
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
I posted a few days ago the results of using a smaller grid that sets down low in the egg to sear steaks just above the coals.  I took another angle last night with some scallops and a few asparagus spears.

Got home late and nobody was hungry so this meal was just for me.  I started to light the egg when the thought occurred to me that, since I wasn't cooking much food, why not just use the leftover charcoal from my last cook and the "searing grid" that I did the steaks on Saturday.  OK then, sounds like a good idea.  So I brushed the scallops and asparagus with EVOO and seasoned them up.  It didn't take very long to get the lump going with the propane torch.  After just a few minutes I dropped the small grid in there and it was setting about 4-5 inches above a small but hot fire.  The results are in the pics below.

Atvantages
- I used very little charcoal, only that which was left from a previous cook.
- I didn't have to heat up the grill or wait for the temp to rise or the smoke to clear.   The dome temp never exceeded 350 but the temp where I was cooking was much higher.
- Quick fire start and a very short wait and cook time.

Jackson, Tennessee. VFL (Vol for Life)

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options

Looks awesome, Hog. Nice work. If that were my cook, the scallops would not have even made it to the table!

Well done. Thanks for posting.

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • hogaholic
    Options
    Thanks Chubbs

This is such a no-brainer way to cook a small meal in a Large BGE.   I don't know why I didn't think of it before now.  Duh  
  • jbates67
    jbates67 Posts: 168
    Options
    Looks fantastic!!!!

Chubbs is assuming that only 3 scallops were cooked, perhaps hog ate a few before picture time...I would have.

Looks great, will have to try that for sure, small portion or larger of course.
  • hogaholic
    Options

Normally, Jbates, you would have been right about that.  Being that yesterday was ash Wednesday and I was supposed to be fasting, those 3 scallops represented a larger meal than I really needed.  It was sure good though.

Hardest part now is trying to determine what I'll have tonight!