Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Stone

jejones016
jejones016 Posts: 1
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum

I was wanting to do a pizza on the egg tonight but do not have a stone. I was going to go purchase one real quick but thought that I would need to research a little before doing so.

My question, is there a particular brand of stone for the EGG or will any pizza stone do? As the Egg holds high heat I was not sure I wanted to just buy the first one I came across. Please share your experiences.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    I just have the BGE large ceramic stone and it works great. Pricey, but good.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited February 2012
    The two stones I see recommended most are the BGE and Primo stones.
    I bought the L size BGE stone for my XL egg and it works great.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    BGE makes a real good stone.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    I had an unknown brand I used at first, it was pretty thin but it worked. Got a bge stone for Christmas. That being said I have made better pizzas with the bge stone. Could be the stone, could be the practice and experience. Probably both. Here is what I did with the old stone. I cut it in half and use it as a half moon stone mainly just for knocking of some direct heat on part of my grill at times.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Wife got one at bed bath and beyond, didn't pay much for it. Have probably done 18-20 pizza's no prob.
    Cookin in Texas
  • Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    Just used BGE large stone for 1st pizza tonight and it was great!! Can't upload a pic w/ my phone, but it looked good and tasted great.
  • I have this 16" pizza stone from "Old Stone Oven" & have been completely satisfied w/ it (it is PERFECT for true 16" diameter pizzas, like what you'd get from Costco)!!!

16"_PIZZA_STONE

HTH,
    Rob
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • jejones, I'd avoid the Pampered Chef stone, if you happened to have that as an option.  They have been known to shatter.  I think for the most part, any good thick ceramic stone is ok to use.  I have a 16" stone from Crate and Barrel that I bought many years ago and it is has done well.  They don't sell it any more, but like I say, any thick ceramic stone should be ok.
    The Naked Whiz