Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big Green Egg Repairs

Options
youn0924
youn0924 Posts: 2
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hello,

So i purchased a big green egg from a garage sale and they put a hole in the side of it to but an electric heating unit. I have removed the heating unit and got everything back to normal except the hole in the side. This is causing issues being able to regulate the temps and to put out the fire after use. Any ideas on how to patch up the hole. I was thinking about a metal sheet on the outside and using JB weld to secure it. I think it may help seal it up from the outside but am looking for some alternatives. 

Thanks 

Comments

• stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    edited February 2012
    Options

find some fire brick mortar/cement. mix in some fiberglass filler  and fill it up. might take a couple of times to do fill it right.  but that is what i would use.  might not need the filler. 

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• MikeG
    MikeG Posts: 174
    edited February 2012
    Options

find some fire brick mortar/cement. mix in some fiberglass filler  and fill it up. might take a couple of times to do fill it right.  but that is what i would use.  might not need the filler.  

I have to view the above with some caution - depending on how large the hole is.  If the fill material doesn't expand & contract during the heat/cool cycle at the same rate as the clay bowl this could crack the lower half across the plug.
    If you could find some extremely high-heat elastomer adhesive you cold form a plug from suitable material that is smaller than the hole then glue it in with the elastomer, which would act as a cushion between the plug and bowl.
  • youn0924
    Options
    so it the Jb weld and Metal on the outside a bad idea? 
  • RRF
    RRF Posts: 5
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Use refractory mortar made for  commerical furnaces it can handle the heat an stay in place.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    Options
    Would love to see a picture of the hole.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Flamethrower
    Options

Yeah, Show the pics of the fix you come up with

LET'S EAT
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options
    Yeah a pic would be nice. May be the first egg able to run dual vents.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    Or... just replace lower half...
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Hic
    Hic Posts: 350
    Options
    I like Gato's idea. Why not just get another vent and mount it over the hole? It could work as a second vent.

Large, medium, small and a mini. Egg'n, golfing, beer drinking, camping and following football and baseball.
    Atlanta NOTP suburbia.

• stevesails
    Options
    i like the vent idea, is it near the bottom? you could put a electronic temp controller in it.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Hillbilly-Hightech
    Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited February 2012
    Options
    If you do decide to patch the hole, I think this stuff would work:

Rutland-Castable-Refractory-Cement

It's rated to like 1500 degrees, and since it's castable, it's meant to be used for pouring your own firebricks, and can be used to form more irregular shaped geometries, in addition to patching things like fireplaces, etc.

When I get around to it, I'm gonna use this to cast my own "paver" to sit the Egg on...
    HTH,
    Rob
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

My question would be not whether the material would handle the heat - but will the patch material expand and contract at the same rate as the rest of the Egg.

Cookin in Texas
  • NightwingXP
    Options
    I like Gato's idea. Why not just get another vent and mount it over the hole? It could work as a second vent.
    Yeah a pic would be nice. May be the first egg able to run dual vents.
    Excellent idea! Just mount a new vent and keep it closed!
    Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!
  • tfoutch
    Options
    I vote for Duct Tape!
    TFOUTCH Algood, Tennessee
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    the rutland refractory mentioned is your beast bet
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it