Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Consider new discussion software?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am brand new here and have been mulling over buying a large BGE. My son and wife seem in favor, so I am planning a purchase very soon. My comment is that I find this discussion board very difficult to follow, and was wondering who to talk to about the possibility of new discussion software. I run two music-related discussion sites that use vbulletin software, which seems much more reader friendly.

Comments

• Souldaddy
    Souldaddy Posts: 22
    The webmaster is already in the middle of creating an entirely new site, including new forum software.[p]You can see the work in progress at http://www.biggreenegg.net[p]-Ryan
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Brian Scherzer,
    THIS forum is one of the greatest selling points of the BGE...it sold me my first egg before ever even eating off of an egg...if you are actually complaining about the forum or the software it`s based on ...I honestly think maybe you should take a step back off your throne and review the information that is given freely on this less than music related discussion site...many here know each other personally, as the conversations reflect...and this board is not based solely on a the research of a subject type of forum....more so based on a bunch of friends sharing thoughts, and ideas, and personal experiences...if all you are looking for is a database, maybe you came to the wrong place...not trying to sound harsh...we are here to share..thats what we do..if you cant follow that..I think it`s you that has the problem...not the software...hope to see more positive posts about your cooking in the near future.....[p]Wess

• Essex County
    Essex County Posts: 991
    Brian Scherzer,
    I am about to celebrate my first anniversary as an egghead. I stumbled upon a BGE while looking for a high end gasser. The salesperson told me that there was a "cult" surrounding the egg and it even had its own website. I went home, spent a couple of hours reading through the posts and ordered an egg the following day. I count myself lucky that the dealer I visited had an egg on his display floor.[p]I agree that the board is often difficult to follow. But on the other hand, the uncensored flow is part of its allure. I do more lurking than posting but I read it almost every day. I've learned a great deal from people here. While not every discussion is of interest, it's fun to check in. And if you have a serious question related to cooking, you can be sure that you'll get advice with a capital "A". [p]Hope you take the plunge.[p]Paul

• Smok'inCSI
    Smok'inCSI Posts: 54
    Brian Scherzer,:
    Sir: I will have you know that the information that is shared, offered, and banter about on this web-site is "FRIEND" related, meaning that we don't have to "compose and spell check' our responses.
    As was pointed out by Wess, we are all friends and above all "eggheads" and really enjoy our banter between each other, it 's a RELAXED forum, meant to exchange vital info on barbecue, not the nuclear lunch codes.
    Hope to see your first Postive response about "Q" and not code.
    Smok'in CSI

• GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    WessB,[p]Here, Here![p]Here's hoisting some Crown in your direction![p]GrillMeister

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    I don't think Brian's comments are negative. He is expressing an opinion. There is room for improvement to this forum. One of the biggest is to have the threads with new posts jump to the top. Keeps active discussions up front. Subforums also can be useful. I know some are against change no matter what but what would you have done if you did not toss out your old bbq grill or gas grill in favor of the BGE? Some changes are good.[p]Dennis
  • Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    You are right Dennis. It's interesting that such a top notch forum is driving a Pinto. It gets the job done, but forums have come a long, long way.
    Scott

• Souldaddy,[p]I certainly did not mean to rub people the wrong way. As a total newbie in my interest in the Egg, I am having trouble following the flow of conversation. I have no throne (other than the one my wife accuses me of being on too long!). I was not challenging content, just the fact that I was having difficulty trying to sort through the posts. It was a poor choice for a first post, and I apologize to anyone who felt offended.
  • haywyre
    haywyre Posts: 165
    Brian Scherzer,
    I understand your frustration :) I brought this topic up years ago. Got the same responces. There are many new ideas on software out there but I thing the general idea on this forum is that everyone is content with what we got and know how to use it. It kind of like we never moved past windows 3.1 and longhorn just came out yesterday :) heheheheh. [p]Welcome to the forum Brian, It takes a while to get used to using this forum when you probably have been browsin newer forums all day :)

• haywyre
    haywyre Posts: 165
    Souldaddy,
    OMG that is the best looking site I have seen in a long time. Am I dreaming? Did I eat something bad at the Texas Eggfest.... It must have been the smoked SPAM..... :)

• WMK
    WMK Posts: 1,747
    haywyre,[p]Well said haywyre![p]Our unique online community requires equally unique software to properly support it.[p]On the new forum, we're working to "retrofit" a newer package to provide display options like "last25", or, "classic" in addition to the the current "flat" and "threaded" options. With some work, we should be able to move forward w/out destroying what we have.[p]WMK
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    WMK,
    thats good news, i like the last 25 option, i have not liked some of the newer forums but do like the last 25 page

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • WMK
    fishlessman,
    We aim to please!
    WMK

• WMK,[p]Thanks! I promise that I didn't come here to start a battle. By the way, it didn't occur to me that switching to something like vbulletin would lead to a loss of all previous posts! Your comment brought that to mind.
  • WMK
    Brian Scherzer,
    Would could port the messages to vbulletin.
    We went with this one because we're on a tight budget.
    Plus, even the mighty vbulletin would need to be customized to fit our group; so, we figured to start with something simpler (and cheaper) and customize it to our needs.
    WMK