Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Most expensive

IrishDevl
IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
So I was heading upstate NY last weekend and I wanted to stop at this specific famous butcher for the first time.  Anyway, great spot, fantastic meat. So heading up there I wanted to possibly pick up a boston butt; my local NJ butcher has fantastic BB and charges around $2.50 per/lb (boneless).  Not cheap, but doable and the quality is excellent.  I went to this famous upstate NY butcher and the cost there was an unbelievable $8.99/lb for bone in and 10.99 per/lb for boneless. Now I completely understand and appreciate paying up for quality, but come on, that is insane and I can't believe anything sells at that price - but no doubt they do.  Can anyone beat that or have I found the most expensive BB on the market.  

And what else can you throw out there that is ridiculously expensive?  And I am not looking for I saw a Kobe ribeye for $XX.  However, if you see a 
prime ribeye and it was insane I would love to hear about it.       

Comments

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Does this expensive butcher use meat raised antibiotics free, maybe heritage breed that grows slower or a number of other factors.  I have bought pork from heritage pork and it cost me three times what our normal butcher charges and I really liked our normal pork more.  Our butcher uses animals that are antibiotics free and is reasonably priced.

Gerhard
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,664
    was in a local place thats really not that upscale and they had some marinated kabob meat for 18.99 a pound. i found that a bit pricey for marinated meat scraps
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • That is a ridiculously absurd price.  I lived in Alaska for a while and the cost of beef and pork was sky high because of transportation costs, but that price is crazy.
    Jackson, Tennessee. VFL (Vol for Life)
  • IrishDevl
    Yes sir they do, so is it that much better?  Are you stating that you like the normal pork better?
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Yes I preferred our regular pork more than the heritage variety.

This is from our butcher's website, he shares my first name but I have no relationship other than being a customer.

"Metzger Meat Products and Metzger Farms work together to produce livestock through a selective breeding program. Berkshire pork is highly regarded for its juiciness, flavor and tenderness; however, purebred Berkshires have a high percentage of fat. To address this concern, Metzger Farms breeds Landrace / Yorkshire sows with a Berkshire boar. To maintain the high health status, Metzger Farms raises their pigs in a closed herd system, meaning that no live animals will enter the barn, only artificial insemination is used to introduce new blood lines into the herd, this also enables us to not use any antibiotics and medications, Metzger Meat Products can therefore guarantee it’s pork to be free of antibiotics and medications.
    Metzger Farms is a farrow to finish operation. Pigs are fed only non-GMO corn that is grown on the farm and ground daily, without the addition of any growth hormones or animal by-products."
  • found some Rib Eye the other day at 13.99 a lb. We lacfed and walked out
    LET'S EAT
  • eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    Could it possibly been grass fed??????    Just asking.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • IrishDevl
    Perhaps, but would have to be smokin quite a bit of it to buy at that price.
  • I dought it, We were laffing so hard I couldnt ask. And grass fed around in my area,I dont think so
    LET'S EAT
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I notice the word "famous" in your initial post. That probably says it all. The butcher has at least as much demand as supply. Supposing the quality really is there, its like an Olympic medal. Gold goes to .001 of a second faster.

But, yeah, the organic farmers I buy from are ramping up their prices. One family is expanding their operation, and so the cost has gone up about 30%. I bought from a new guy whose price is just as high. I'll see if the quality is the same, or just what the market will bear.

I'll mention here something I've posted elsewhere. My wife worked for an elderly gentleman. During the great Depression, he took his wagon to the stockyards in Chicago. His wagon was filled, because ribs were just not worth selling. Big change, no?
  • IrishDevl
    edited February 2012
    Gdenby- I do believe you are spot on with the supply/demand comment and you know exactly who I am referring to. I did state to them I thought it pricey, and they appeared offended by my comment.