Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Home From The Hatchery

BOWHUNR
BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
I picked up a mini a couple of weeks ago and have been doing a little work on it before he joins the rest of the family.  Thanks to our own Mickey from the forum the nest for tailgating and camping has the padded and heat resistant tape to allow for expansion.

I stripped the factory gasket and added a Rutland along with a Hi-Que fire grate.

Since it had the 10" grate, a mini woo and pizza stones were in order.

And he just wouldn't fit in without a custom handle from Danny B.

Last but not least a wrought iron stand for his home on the deck.

Welcome home little guy!!!!  Cook pics to follow.  :D

Mike
Omaha, NE

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited February 2012
    Mike you make me cry...... WOW..... Where did you get the stand, I would like to catch up with you in the Mini stuff...... One other thing: cook on the damn Mini already......
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mike8it
    Mike8it Posts: 468
    Very nice! I imagine he will be very happy in his new home
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    That is very cool. Is the stand stable? 
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • BOWHUNR
    Thanks guys.  The stand was made for my mom by an iron fabricator friend of mine several years ago.  Lucky for me she doesn't use it anymore.  It is really a plant stand but it works out perfect for the mini.   It is solid as a rock and believe it or not it weighs as much as the egg itself.  Trust me, I wouldn't put the little guy on there if I thought it would tip over!!

Mike
    Omaha, NE

Omaha, NE
  • Whadaya cook on that? Riblets? LOL nice looking outfit
  • Cool Looking! The stand looks great.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • BOWHUNR
    Whadaya cook on that? Riblets? LOL nice looking outfit
    Here's what you can cook on them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYGge_k7FUI

Mike
    Omaha, NE

Omaha, NE
  • I want one.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Mickey
    I want one.
    Travis you have a shot at winning one of 4 we will giveaway in Salado March 17th.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Mike you just made me change directions on my Hatchery. I had a large on order and after your pictures I am going to kill that order and get another Mini. That will give me 2 Mini's and a Large. I cook on my Mini 85% of the time anyway so not sure why I wanted another Large (hell, sold the Small a few weeks ago). Now will have 2 Mini's and the Large when I need lots of space(which is not often) just the two of us mostly. Thanks

• Mickey, I really mean, I need one. I am cooking one flank steak for fajitas tonight. I'm not real happy about firing up the whole XL for one steak and one chicken breast. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Mickey
    Travis I have 5 orders in now for Demo Mini's with stand at $399. Would you like me to add you or take a few hundred's in cash with you and see about buying one from a winner if you don't win. But if you don't win, can't buy one you are back to full price........ Guys when I say "I" I have no interest in an Egg store of any kind, just putting on the Salado EggFest. So, do you want me to get you a Demo on order for the fest? Or I saw one at the store this morning, you could be cooking by this afternoon..... just a few more $$$

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    edited February 2012
    The mini will never look that clean again.  Handle to way cool
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • banzaitoyota 

No pictures of riblets
    =))
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • BOWHUNR
    Wow Austin..........That stuff looks awesome!!!!

Mike

Omaha, NE
  • BOWHUNR
    edited February 2012
    Just FWI eggers, Check your thermometers on new eggs!  This was a Tel-Tru and it was 30* off to the high side using the boiling water test (211*) in Omaha.  My mini was a floor model and I suspect someone twisted the thermo and messed it up.  Easy to do if the little clippy thing is too tight.  That's the main reason I remove mine (the clip that is).

Mike

Omaha, NE
  • Mickey
    edited February 2012
    On all eggs (IMO) it is a very good idea to pull the inside clip off all thermometers. They still can't fall out, and if they should, you have a real problem....... After you bend a stem or two you get the idea.

• odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Bowhunr, how much did you pay for the Mini?   I was at my local Ace the other day, and out of curiosity asked the owner how much for a mini.  I was surprised to hear only $339.   Thought it would be more.  Now I'm tempted.....
  • Mickey
    Check to be sure it is the latest: has double hinge for the top, has full 10" grill, has Tru temp thermometer  and new style nest. Must have 10" grill if you will want a Mini Woo (if not, no problem). That is a very good price.

• BOWHUNR
    Bowhunr, how much did you pay for the Mini?   I was at my local Ace the other day, and out of curiosity asked the owner how much for a mini.  I was surprised to hear only $339.   Thought it would be more.  Now I'm tempted.....
    Did that include the nest?  If so, that is a very good price.  Mine came to $405.00 including the nest and 7% sales tax.  Dealer threw in a box of starter cubes and a bag of lump.

Mike  

Omaha, NE
  • Mickey
    Mike this is so much fun. Just ordered a High Que fire grate, Mini Woo and the two pizza stone package. Now my Mini's can be dressed alike..... or I guess I could do 4 mini pizzas in the large....

• BOWHUNR
    Yeah Mickey, it's fun all right.  They're like green holes in your deck you throw money into. :D:D

Mike

Omaha, NE