Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First attempt at Ribs - a live feed from the Egg...

Tank_NZ
Tank_NZ Posts: 53
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
Despite a hangover causing a late start for today - I decided to try my first long / slow cook.

Im keen for any feedback / suggestions - it is my first attempt and I really dont want to stuff it up.

So - where are we at:

Got ribs and removed the membrane:

Added (American) mustard and some rub:

Got the egg up to temp and stable at 250:

Just whips of apple wood smoke:

Add meat:

Temp dropped to 220 - 225 and has not come back yet - thinking of opening a little more to get back to 250 - going to be a late dinner as it is...cannot make it worse

Comments

• Tank,

Is it 7:30 am or am I messed up?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    We are cooking 4 racks for dinner tomorrow, it looks like there will be nine of us (including 2 munchkins and 3 semi-aduts).  Cooking burgers for those that want one and cutting the racks into thirds so everyone should be able to have ribs, burgers or sausage.

• Little Steven - yep - was 1:30 pm when I posted that.

Just had the kids call who we were cooking dinner for.  They cannot make it.

Really disappointed.  Oh well, friends have jumped at the chance - so a impromptu dinner party here this evening.

Just looking to make a mop to put on at hours 3, 4 and 5.

• first mop - 80% apple juice - 20% apple cider
  • ready:

Steady:

go:

and ... gone (with some corn and green lipped mussels)

• Looks great.  Nice work
  • Nice cook! 
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • Looks like you got some good color and crust. What wood and rub did you use? One thing I didn't understand, you said mob: 80% apple juice 20% apple cider. That sounds like a spritz not a mop. I usually spritz every 45 minutes from the get go with a similar concoction, and don't mop til the very end with a thicker sauce.

If you're looking to experiment, try the 3-2-1 method next time: 3 hours with smoke (and spritz every 45) @ 225-235 degrees, 2 hours wrapped in foil at the same temp with a little mop sauce before wrapping. After two hours, remove ribs, plate setter and drip pan, crank the heat to about 375, remove ribs from foil, and grill and mop until caramelized (usually about 10-15 minutes). Just watch the browning over high heat because the sugars in the mop sauce will burn and bitter. Keeping the lid closed as much as possible will help as it prevents flare ups. I usually cut a standard texas bbq sauce 75-25 with Chiavetta's. It makes a great mopper that will give a vinegary zing and help prevent the burnt sugar taste I mentioned. It's more of a carolina type sauce. You can always put straight bbq sauce on the side for dipping if people like it sweet.

Also, I feel like my ribs come out better when they're smoked laying flat on the grill bone down insted of in the verticle rack. Maybe that's because the spritz and moisture stays on the meat instead of dripping down. If I can't fit them, I use the grill extender and do a second layer. This works out great because the drippings from the upper rack are marinating the ones on the bottom.

I have used this method every time since I learned it and the ribs come out rediculously good. The only drawback and negative feedback you might get is that they're too moist and come off the bone too easily. Some poeple like their ribs to stay in tidy little cutable strips they can hold and gnaw on. These ribs will be falling apart as you flip them during mopping, so take your time and use big tongs so they stay together and you don't lose any meat through the grate. I'm doing them next weekend and am drooling thinking about it.

I am always looking for ways to improve my ribs, so if  there's anyone who has any suggestions on how to make these even better, please send them my way.

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    One way we like is after rubbing with worcestershire and seasoning with your favorite rub, is to cook at 250 for 3 hours, then take them off and sprinkle both sides lightly with cayenne pepper and coat with brown sugar. Then double wrap them in heavy duty alum. foil and put back on, bone side down for another hour or so. Check to make sure the sugar has melted. We don't sauce these, as the sugar is enough, pour the juice back over the ribs and rest for 10 minutes. These are between falling off and bone gnawing. With a try IMO.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Thanks for the feedback and other ideas - Will be giving them a try shortly.

Currently looking at what to cook this next weekend - thinking a nice leg of lamb - mmmmmm
  • Tank,

Do you get the kiwi mussels fresh? Man they are the bomb. I was in Aukland for ten days at the millenium and had them at least once a day. We only get them frozen here

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Stephen, 

Yes - get them live from all supermarkets.  I love 'em and they are soooo cheap, like almost free.  Huge bag of live mussels yesterday and I think it was something like $3 NZD.