Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

In Regards to the Maverick 732......

NightwingXP
NightwingXP Posts: 448
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hi everyone! I have a Maverick ET 72 and it has worked great for me so far. Had it for 2 years and no problems. I have seen everybody rave about the Maverick 732. Just curious how everyone likes the extra probe for the dome temp/grill level temp sensor? Is it worth it or are you happy with the BGE dome thermometer by itself?
Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!

Comments

• DIXIEDOG
    DIXIEDOG Posts: 109
    It is very worth it if you ever do unattended cooks.  I cook a lot of pork butts/briskets overnight on low n' slow cooks so I set my Maverick 732 BBQ Temp alarms at 230 low and 270 high (my desired temp being 250) if I get out of the envelope either way an alarm goes off and I know to go out and see what's up.  Most times you don't need it but if a fire either goes out or spikes up for some strange reason the alarm will wake you up rather than have you get up  to see your fire went out or got out of control high and your meat is ruined.
  • I have the 732, i set a high and low for pit temp with an alarm that alerts me if i go over or under my set temps. this saves me from running out side to check dome temp.
  • Shawn
    Shawn Posts: 356
    I have one and love it! I use mine with a thermapen!
    Cheers! Shawn My Blog: http://hrmcreativebbq.blogspot.com/ My Dads Custom Handles Blog http://dannyscarvings.blogspot.com
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    I have one - absolutely love it for long cooks.  can monitor from inside the house.
    Cookin in Texas
  • jbates67
    jbates67 Posts: 168
    I used mine last night for low and slow on two pork butts, set the low/high side alarms, fortunately didn't need it but the convenience of being able to go to bed and waking up several hours later and having progress is a significant advantage.
  • That's good to know. I can set a temp alarm for the meat to COOK to just not a high/low temp setting. Guess I didn't quite understand what the second temp probe was for. Appreciate it everyone. Thanks! Guess I will have one more thing to save up for
    Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!
  • Don't forget to turn the actual alarm on, after you set your desired temps. The alarm doesn't function in its proper properties very well if you forget to turn it on. So you wake up and see your brisket at 212 internal temp, even though it should have cooked for another hour and a half. Luckily no one had eaten real brisket before.

Paul
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • Love mine. Up here in Alaska, it gets real cold on the deck in the winter. Wifey got one for me for Christmas....so I tried it out in January, one of the coldest on record. The Egg, & Maverick worked flawlessly @ 30 below zero! I was able to limit my trips outside, and save heat from the house as well!
  • Sweeeet, eggin it in 30 below. Love it, try that in a gasser!
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Love mine but probe seems to have burned out after less than 10 cooks. I've been careful to keep away from water and only use it on low cooks so I hope I won't be spending $20 every 10 cooks after this. Although honestly, it would probably still be worth it. Again, I don't use it on everything. Just for the long cooks.