Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Don't have to put you butt in chest if ready to eat

Mickey
Mickey Posts: 19,669
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
I may not be the only one not understanding that it is not law you must put your butt in the cooler after you take off grill. Stike called me on it and he is correct. I have 6 years on the egg (no experience with butts before egg) and thought it must be put in the chest for a minimum of an hour. This is just for information to people who thought like me: wrong. Thanks Stike.
Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• What you get with the cooler is time for the meat temp to peak and a redistribution of fluids in the butt.
    I grill therefore I am.....not hungy.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    the cooler is for convenience for timing a cook, it ruins bark to a point. somehow its become law like cleaning out an egg before every cook. best part of a butt cook is picking the pork of the grate to snack on, it was never put in a cooler
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • the cooler is for convenience for timing a cook, it ruins bark to a point. somehow its become law like cleaning out an egg before every cook. best part of a butt cook is picking the pork of the grate to snack on, it was never put in a cooler

The cooks treat. My favorite part also.
  • Mickey
    Yep, no cooler and mustard not needed. What next: don't need to use Kingsford in the Egg.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    i like the mustard though, mix it into a mud with 6 times the rub and smear it. use kingsford in a pinch as well
    :))
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • we are not supposed to use Kingsford? Or are yall just picking fun.  I dont use mustard anymore, after I started using ketchup for a rub coating.  It really gives it that McRib taste.  

Paul
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • I never used mustard as a rub base before, because it was soooooo East Coast.  I used Worchestererrerrshire sauce.  But I tried mustard last time and it worked fine.  It doesn't run like the W sauce and you don't taste it after cooking.  

Besides, I can spell mustard (I think).

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• I like to preheat my oven to 180 turn it off and place my butt in there loosly tinted with foil. The cooler thing is from Q compititions, It does work but a warm oven is just as good.
    Located in Western North Carolina
  • I agree that it isn't a must to put them in a cooler.  Our team accidentally figured out that the cooler helps with flavor in a competitions several years ago.  We got the butt that we wanted to turn in done a little early and decided to put it in there for a while to keep it warm while we were getting some other stuff done.  After we turned in our entry, we tasted it and realized it was the best one we had ever done.  We took home 5th out of 75.  I have been doing it at home and our team has been doing it in competitions since.  

I had cooked hundreds of butts and whole shoulders before that that still turned out great.  If you think about it, restaurants use a rest as well.  They get everything done in the morning and then it is rested until served.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited February 2012
    Good BBQ info, but am I only the one  that when they first read the title was hoping for pictures! :D

Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • chogg
    chogg Posts: 30

I guess that I have been doing it all wrong..

I just think the bark is the best part...a cooler or foil riuns the bark

old dude in Ga.

IF YOUR LOOKING YOUR NOT COOKING ..My Dog Likes it !!! C.Hogg....Shack Rag...GA.
  • chogg
    chogg Posts: 30
    maybe I got it now...when I cook chili its always better tasting the next day, gives the meat and or flavors time to mature or whats u macallit..I will give it a try. after removing the bark..hehehe
    IF YOUR LOOKING YOUR NOT COOKING ..My Dog Likes it !!! C.Hogg....Shack Rag...GA.
  • Mickey
    Tweev what I have been told of late is that a cooked butt is not like a roast,(insert name of hunk of meat) etc in that the juice must work its magic during the "rest". It is done and can be pulled at the 195/200.

• I like to let mine rest a little, just so I can handle it.....I've never really liked meat gloves. Youre right Mickey, all of the juices like in a roast have essentially cooked out at 200... The juiciness you get in pulled pork is the melted fat/collagen/connective tissue...
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    edited February 2012
    I think the cooler rest is useful though to keep the meat hot until serving is there is a big time difference between butt finishing and serving...technically then, it is more of a holding than rest.
  • Mickey
    edited February 2012

Mighty_Quinn someone of one of the forums showed these gloves and they are very good to use till you can use the claws (Bear Claws from amazon). Just can not recall where I ordered the gloves.

imageimage

• Thanks Mickey....I'll check those gloves out...I have bear claws and really like them.