Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I tried it: Dry Aged Beef

Options

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited February 2012
    Options
    tweev,  ...hilarious stuff., man.  i could hear your manly 'harumph' from here.
    "good day sir"
    hahahaha
    did you stamp your foot and wag an index finger at me too? please post a pic.  didn't happen without a pic.

mike8i1: as for using cheese cloth.  go ahead.  there may be no historical basis for it, or any practical advantage, and many safety and quality reasons not to, but it IS personal choice, after all.

i'm sure if anyone has any further questions about aging, tweev can handle them.  just give him a few minutes to look up what i've already written about it. he's good at googling, but the search function here is a little less than stellar.

(and it's "flair", not 'flare'.  unless they spell that differently in canada too.)

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Mike8it
    Mike8it Posts: 468
    edited February 2012
    Options
    @stike too funny. Tweeve and yourself do truly entertain me and both of you seem very knowlegeable. I have learned and used advice from both of you. I couldn't help myself with the cheese cloth remark. Hope everyone enjoys this long weekend and have some really great cooks. I will playing golf tomorrow (hopefully 36) before the nor'easter hits us in eastern nc tomorrow night and stays through Sunday. I may put the egg to the test and see if I can cook in 30-50 mph winds and 3"' of rain on Sunday. Should be fun.
  • stike
    Options
    @mike8it: i hope 36 is the number of holes, and not the temp.
    as for your weather, the egg can handle it, but whether you can is another thing.  make a foil hat for the daisy, and ignore the wind.

good luck on the links.

• Mike8it
    Mike8it Posts: 468
    Options
    Suppose to be 65 degrees in sunny NC tomorrow!!!!
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options
    I feel like this is a Jerry Springer episode gone wrong. And who is is the father of those 3 children? Coming up next...

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• stike
    Options
    Teach me something, tweev. For the love of christ, prove you offer something other than the infrequent patronizing 'attaboy' to a newbie, or a link to the lemon party.

If you can actually help, answer a question, or move the collective wisdom forward, we'd all be in your debt.

But i'm pretty sure these people don't need you to protect them from me.

Thanks for your private email, by the way. It was 'manly' of you the way you offered to take it off line. Tell you what, email me at my real addy with yours, and we'll talk. And none of that 'Carl Flatherly' B.S.

Until then, i'll be polishing my spectacularly mishapen, prematurely bald head
  • txbbq
    txbbq Posts: 16
    Options
    there are plenty of links on the internet about dry aging. They all pretty much say the same thing. I would add that you want the beef to touch as few surfaces as possible. Anywhere that moisture can accumulate will allow bacteria to grow. The inside of the beef is sterile, so you are only worried about the outside.

Every smooth surface that touches the beef collects moisture and can encourage the growth of bacteria. Rotting is decomposition by decay through bacteria/fungus. Dry aging beef is not rotting.
  • stike
    Options
    Decomposition occurs through the naturally occurring enzymes in beef. It can occur independent of bacteria.

It is essentially allowing it to 'rot'.

Maggots and bacteria dont come into play when aging, agreed, but they are not required in decomposition. Though they sure as hell help it along

• bge30plus
    Options
    If you have maggots Doc said you need to bring your meat back in from the outside. Your hanging it out to much!
    Living the good life in MACDonna
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I can confirm that flair (with respect to style) is, in fact, spelled flair in Canada

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• bge30plus
    Options
    Stike, Doc said you need to go back to Medical School! :)
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Nor hurt your feelings? Give me a break, you are one of the sensitive guys I've seen on the forums. I seem to remember the last time VI handed your ass to you you slithered off and sulked for three months. Boo hoo so sad. That's ok it adds to your flare. And as for you giving credit when credit is due. Hardly. You tend to bury your 2 sentences if simple advice in 4 paragraphs of meaningless blah blah. Please learn to be a little more concise, we all would like to save some time. You criticize me for learning things from books and online and imply you came up with everything on your on. Sorry I've seen you quote passages almost verbatim from ruhlman. At least I am honest enough to just post a link to give irs source and save people ( including me) some time you dry aging one trick pony (put in fridge and do nothing for 2 months - brilliant) Good day sir.
    Go away and sulk for three months. Hmmm not a bad idea

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• bge30plus
    Options

Little Steven, Damn I have never been on a forum before this, My good sir you can kiss my hairy ass, BLAH BLAH BLAH. Not to hurt your feelings you yankee F&%K

OMG Doc is laughing his ass off, he went to UGA Vet school those guys never laugh, damn it a great day!

• Little Steven
    Options

Man I have no idea what you are talking about. I am proud of the yankee comment, being Canadian and all, it's like a step up. I have no interest in your ass whatsoever but if that's your thing it does kinda go with the territory, I mean you are in the south aren't you?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• bge30plus
    Options

I might have meant to say that to tweev_tip, hey I am new to this?

Nor hurt your feelings? Give me a break, you are one of the sensitive guys I've seen on the forums. I seem to remember the last time VI handed your ass to you you slithered off and sulked for three months. Boo hoo so sad. That's ok it adds to your flare. And as for you giving credit when credit is due. Hardly. You tend to bury your 2 sentences if simple advice in 4 paragraphs of meaningless blah blah. Please learn to be a little more concise, we all would like to save some time. You criticize me for learning things from books and online and imply you came up with everything on your on. Sorry I've seen you quote passages almost verbatim from ruhlman. At least I am honest enough to just post a link to give irs source and save people ( including me) some time you dry aging one trick pony (put in fridge and do nothing for 2 months - brilliant) Good day sir.

Please fogive me if I am wrong,

• bge30plus
    Options
    Gawd al mighty Doc is falling out on the floor calling me the ****?
  • bge30plus
    Options
    Damn to much Jack tonight.
  • SandBilly
    Options
    Makes for Good entertainment ;)
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    bge30plus,
    Can anyone else see Doc or just you?
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Now that was funny!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stike
    Options
    Doc is his wife. Guy doesnt have an opinion unless he asks her or his buddy who sells too-fresh beef

Hahahaha

Tweev. Please post a poc of those shoes you bought.
    Also, my dome is nice and shiny now. You can even see my partner's garden reflecting in it if you look closely
  • mustgrill
    Options
    Damn! Yall kill me? All this over dry aged chunk of meat.
    Located in Western North Carolina
  • mustgrill
    Options
    Smak, How did you steaks do?
    Located in Western North Carolina
  • txbbq
    txbbq Posts: 16
    Options
    Decomposition occurs through the naturally occurring enzymes in beef. It can occur independent of bacteria.

It is essentially allowing it to 'rot'.

Maggots and bacteria dont come into play when aging, agreed, but they are not required in decomposition. Though they sure as hell help it along

I agree that decomposition occurs through the naturally occurring enzymes in beef. 

You then say that is the same as rotting. It is not the same as rotting. Rotting is specifically through the action of microorganisms.

all rotting is a mechanism of decomposition, not all decomposition is rotting.
  • stike
    Options
    sure. 'rotting' is not a clinical term.  in the end, we are allowing the beef to undergo controlled decomposition. 
    since most of the housewives here seem to run the show, i'd ask the men to ask their wives whether THEY think that means 'rotting'.  i'm guessing that a goodly percentage would say 'yes'.

• LFGEnergy
    Options

Man, been a long time since I caught a Tweev-Stike exchange....still as good as ever....but FWIW, I read the entire thread and was confused about why bge30plus got is knickers in such a wad in the first place....thought Stike's input was just that, nothing personal.  bge30plus's  once-sobered up falling on the sword was a nice finish though....oh, I do miss my whiskey!

Oh well...it all still makes good radio! 

• Little Steven
    Options
    Remember the drama club?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• LFGEnergy
    Options
    HHrrruuummppphhhhhh.....if you mean me....I SAID I gave up the Whiskey!  Jeesh.....back under the rock....
  • smak
    smak Posts: 199
    Options
    @all - wow. I did not intend to stir up such a debate.

@mustgrill - I went with the TRex method. I don't know if it was the cut of beef or the result of the dry aging (or both) but it had a significantly large flare up during the searing stage. Took me by surprise and two of the steaks were slightly more charred than I would have liked but still very tasty.
    smak
    Leesburg, VA