Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

High qui grate

Deckchef
Deckchef Posts: 40
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
Just got my high qui for my large egg and did a chili in Dutch oven , turned out amazing but I could not control the temp like I used to with the stock ci. Noticed that after I closed the lid , temp went to over 500 in a matter of minutes and I could not regulate it down ( target temp was 300 ). Fire box was full of new lump, guess I just have to do some more cooks to get used to it ?? Verdict is still out

Comments

• RustyBrainpan
    RustyBrainpan Posts: 32
    edited February 2012
    The airflow with the high que is much better and leads to higher temperatures at any given vent settings from better flow to the lump.  The settings for the vents are altogether different for any temperature with the high que installed than with the BGE grate.  As is the case with either grate, if the temp goes too high, it takes some effort to get it back down.  I don't have any problems at all getting the temps I want from very low to very high, just takes different vent settings and vigilance in the startup process.
  • sancho65
    sancho65 Posts: 226
    Has anyone used a Stoker with a High Que Grate?
    XL, Large, 2 Small's and Mini BGE Arlington Texas
  • B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    I have used HighQ grate with an Auber control unit on an 18 hour butt cook and it work perfectly and kept temp + or - 2 degrees thru cook.  It just adjusted itself as needed.  

I agree vent settings with highQ grate are different than with stock grate and I still am not 100% comfortable that the grill will hold the temp I am shooting for without jumping higher by 25 or more degrees.  I compensate by checking it more and making small adjustments to the vents.  On the plus side I never use the  wiggle rod anymore, nor do I worry about the fire going out.  Overall I like it.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • I had to damn near shut the vents down all the way and it took hours to come down to 350, guess it may be great for high temp cooks but makes me nervous on low and slows
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Did an 8 hour pork butt at 250 with the high que, held perfectly.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • sancho65
    sancho65 Posts: 226
    I did 2 pork butts for 15 hr cook no problems used ET 732 as back up, I just never let temp get over 260 during start up. Egg was stabilized @ 250 when I put butts on then shut lower and top vent to bring temp down to 235 - 240 and went to sleep woke up 2 times and temp was @ 237 both times on ET 732, finally morning came and went downstairs to check temp on dome thermo and needle was reading 235. Very Pleased!! Thanks Mickey for the advise on these. Now I am not sure I need a powered vent system for cooks while I stay around the house?
    XL, Large, 2 Small's and Mini BGE Arlington Texas
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    You bet Sancho65. See you in Salado March 17th.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• chill243
    chill243 Posts: 131

what is a high que?

• A replacement grate for the lump to sit on instead of cast iron. It looks like a small ss cooking grate
  • Has anybody just drilled larger holes on the original Cast Iron grate????
    Men, easier fed than understood!!
  • Has anybody just drilled larger holes on the original Cast Iron grate????
    that's not a bad idea.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    First thought I would think good idea, but the more I think of it I don't think it would work. Those holes are that size for a reason. If you made them bigger, it would allow more pieces of lump the chance to get stuck therefore blocking airflow. When I clean my egg out, a majority of the remaining pieces are always slightly larger than the holes, which means too large to get clogged. I think increasing the size of the holes is just increasing the chance to clog the holes. Just my opinion.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • chogg
    chogg Posts: 30

high qui ...what is this and what does it look like..

I have had my BGE for 12 yrs and just have joined this forum.

Thanks

IF YOUR LOOKING YOUR NOT COOKING ..My Dog Likes it !!! C.Hogg....Shack Rag...GA.
  • billyray
    here's a pic.
    high.png 210.4K
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • First thought I would think good idea, but the more I think of it I don't think it would work. Those holes are that size for a reason. If you made them bigger, it would allow more pieces of lump the chance to get stuck therefore blocking airflow. When I clean my egg out, a majority of the remaining pieces are always slightly larger than the holes, which means too large to get clogged. I think increasing the size of the holes is just increasing the chance to clog the holes. Just my opinion.
    Maybe you could just drill some addtional smaller holes...
  • surveyor
    surveyor Posts: 124
    I had the same trouble with the Temp. Also on my small so much lump fell through the grate that if cut off the air flow. I went back to the stock grate.
  • jerryp
    jerryp Posts: 232
    Pardon the ignorance, but when the stock plate works adequately for screaming hot cooks as well as low and slow, why buy an accessory that forces you to adjust your methods?
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    edited February 2012
    First thought I would think good idea, but the more I think of it I don't think it would work. Those holes are that size for a reason.

My XL, small, and large all had different size holes. The XL has very big holes. Obviously I use the same charcoal in all of them. The XL has no airflow issues, so I think bigger holes, or more holes in the stock grate would help.
  • Im going back as well
  • To much lump falls through and also went through a load of lump in no time
  • surveyor
    surveyor Posts: 124
    I used way more lump also
  • Best of both world would be to make smaller holes between the large holes and see what happens.
    If they get clogged, then no problem since the large holes are still available. If they do work, then you will have higher temps much faster, like for pizza or searing!

Felipe
    Men, easier fed than understood!!
  • I like the first page of posts better that the latter. My grate is on order, but now I am not sure what is the best way. I do like the idea of more wiggle rod. Using more lump, ok maybe I will use a little more, not the end of the world. Getting used to the new settings, ahhh just starting to get used to the settings with the stock grate. :O
    Time will tell. Remaining some what confused until the delivery and a few cooks with the grate
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Im still partial to my turbo grate
  • billyray

Deckchef

You will use more lump, if you don't reuse the smalls that fall through to the ash area. After a couple of cooks, I pull the lump above the grate and put it in a bucket, then I remove the highque and grab out the ash and the small pieces. I use a sieve I have used in my garden to reclaim soil and rub the ash and small pieces back and forth over the 1/4" hardware cloth on the sieve. The ash falls through and I'm left with the smalls. The new load of lump starts with larger pieces on the bottom and up to the vent holes in the fire box, then I dump the smalls on top and fire away. Gets to temp. faster with better air flow.

This may seem involved, but only takes a few minutes to do. Never pour lump direct from the bag, as you may lose some small pieces right away.

• I've used the hot grate in my medium twice.  I like it.  Much easier for the temp to get away from you, just pay attention until you get it dialed in.  No noticeable difference in amount of lump used (only two cooks).
    FWIW
  • Mickey
    I have used in Mini, Small, and Large and will not go back. The lump drop is not a problem for me.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Hey Mickey, will that lady have them for sale at the fest?  (srry, I forgot her name)
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Mickey
    Hey Mickey, will that lady have them for sale at the fest?  (srry, I forgot her name)
    Nancy will be there and have them for sale. Talked with her today.

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    I have four Hi-Ques on my eggs (two large a small and a mini).  I have not noticed a radical change in vent settings to achieve temps, but I have noticed a much needed ability to get to said temps much quicker.  I have used them for high temps and low and slow with and without my Guru and I love the fact that my wiggle rod is history.  Yes, you lose some smalls through the grate, but they burn anyway and heat rises.  Big picture, it's lump charcoal and cheap.

Mike
    Omaha, NE 

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE