Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Almost new Lg with loose gasket

Options
k1200ltc
k1200ltc Posts: 18
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
Both upper and lower gaskets are "unstuck" after a dozen mid temp cooks.
Should I re-glue with 3M "77" or PlioBond adhesive or go new? nomex or felt?

Thanks for all the fantastic tips and recipes on this site

Kevin

Comments

• travisstrick
    Options
    Mine did the same thing after 2 cooks. Cut them off where they broke loose and wait till the rest burns off. I havent had a gasket for quite some time and I dont miss it at all. My suggestion is to let it go and only freak out if your cooks stop coming out well. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • hogaholic
    Options
    Travis provides good advice here but I would prefer to have a gasket for the number of long cooks I do using temp probes.  Nobody yet who cooks without a gasket has explained to me what happens to the probe wires long term when passing through an egg with no gasket.  What say you Travis?

I have replaced one gasket with another stock felt gasket.  Won't do that again and it was prior to me becoming aware of the Nomax and Rutland high temp gaskets.  That is what I will be going with on my next gasket fix.
    Jackson, Tennessee. VFL (Vol for Life)
  • sancho65
    sancho65 Posts: 226
    Options
    I have put a Rutland on my large and have Rutland ready on hand for my small and mini when time comes, Very Happy!!! Thanks RRP!!
    XL, Large, 2 Small's and Mini BGE Arlington Texas
  • smoke_monster
    Options
    My upper gasket unstuck during the warmup for the first cook (Spatchcock).  I did that cook w/o a top gasket and reattached it with 3M 77 adhesive.  My Large is 2 weeks old - I am wondering if a recent batch did not have good adhesive.

I fried my gasket this weekend and the mothership is sending me a Nomex High Heat.  If you buy 3M 77 to re-attach your felt gasket, you can use it again the attach a Nomex gasket when you eventually fry the felt.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    Yank it off and throw a Rutland on.  I have them on all four of mine now.  My last two eggs I scraped the factory gasket off and installed them before they were even cooked on.  BGE factory gaskets suck.......but there's no problem. :-q

Mike
    Omaha, NE

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options
    I have put a Rutland on my large and have Rutland ready on hand for my small and mini when time comes, Very Happy!!! Thanks RRP!!

Yes ... RRP is the best!

I'm ready when my felt is finished to redo with Rutland ....

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited February 2012
    Options
     My last two eggs I scraped the factory gasket off and installed them before they were even cooked on.  
    Nice move.  That's exactly what I would do if I got another egg.  Why sit around waiting for your felt gasket to disintegrate?
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• jmsmrdk
    Options
    I just put a Rutland on my medium.  Works well.
  • FlyingTivo
    Options
    Where  can you get the rutland gasket kit and is the 5/8 the size for the XLBGE????
    Men, easier fed than understood!!
  • BakerMan
    BakerMan Posts: 159
    Options

I burned my factory one off my first 650 degree pizza cook.  Tried to do with out it but I noticed the grill would never go out and a lot of my lump woul dburn up with cap on and vents closed.  I replaced with a Rutland from m local fireplace store (you need 7 feeet of flat gasket). 

Here are some resources:

Gasket Repair

This guy has three
    videos that do a good job of showing how to disassemble Egg, clean off old
    gasket and reinstall and adjust Egg.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQQdOvfLtrE 

Nomex Gasket Replacement

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bw47jHxIFLE

Rutland Gasket Install (this is what I did)

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/rutlandgasket/gasket.htm

Rutland 
    (ChokeOnSmoke)

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1069873&catid=1#

I bought mine at a
    fireplace/wood stove store.  For a large
    Egg you need a 7 foot gasket.  I cleaned
    off gasket area with Acetone (Home Depot, paint aisle) and a scotchbrite pad.

HTH,

BakerMan - Purcellville, VA "When its smokin' its cookin', when its black its done"
  • jmsmrdk
    Options
    Is it ok to use acetone on an egg???
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Where  can you get the rutland gasket kit and is the 5/8 the size for the XLBGE????
    Contact info for XL length Rutland:

Email Ron Pratt at ron.pat@comcast.net
    Let him know you need a Rutland for an XL.
    Then go to any auto store and get a tube of Permatex Ultra Copper (about $6).

Packerland, Wisconsin

• SandBilly
    Options
    Is it ok to use acetone on an egg???

Yes
  • k1200ltc
    Options
    Thanks for all the great advice! I purchased a Rutland 5/8" Gasket Kit #95 at Menards for $8.49. Need to wait for slightly warmer temps outside before attempting repair. Your wisdom suggests Permatex Copper sealer which I"ll use.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    When using the Rutland, do most people just apply it to lid or the base or both?
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    Options
    When using the Rutland, do most people just apply it to lid or the base or both?
    Just one.  Mine's on the bottom, but if I had to do it again, I'd put it just on the top -- keep all the spillage, ash, etc. off of it.
    Packerland, Wisconsin