Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Secrets to crispy thin-crust pizza?

Options
tgkleman
tgkleman Posts: 216
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hi Everyone,

I have yet to master getting a nice, crispy thin-crust pizza on my egg.  I am using the BGE recipe for pizza crust, running the egg at 550F with the plate setter legs down and a pizza stone. I have also let the stone come to temperature.   I have been trying to make that perfect margherita pizza, but the crust never seems to get as crispy as I would like it before the cheese begins to brown.  The pizza turns out nice, but the crust seems a little under-done 
Anybody willing to share their secrets?

Thanks,
Todd

Comments

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    One thing that people tend to do is overload the pizza with topping and that will keep you from getting a crisp crust.

Gerhard
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    One more thought, I don't know your dough recipe but if it contains oil or shortening cut the amount in half and you will get more of a crisp crust.

Gerhard
  • tgkleman
    Options
    Thanks,  I'll try both ideas. 
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Options
    A few things, I use high gluten flour  >4g protein (not basic flour) and if you use a bit more sugar in your dough it may help - sugar helps it brown - don't overdue sugar.  You can also get those metal pizza screens - I use this right on the stone and it works well.  Can post a recipe I like if you want.  Let me know.  
  • mholec
    mholec Posts: 5
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I Pre-cook my pizza dough a couple of mins before I put on any toppings. Always came out crispy.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    edited February 2012
    Options
    For the margherita pizza, are you using really fresh mozz? I find that the water content in fresh mozz can make it tough to get a crispy crust. Either use a drier fresh mozz or slice the wet stuff an hour ahead of time and let it sit out on a towel to dry some. It helps...

That, and even though you heat your stone, it doesnt sound like it is hot enough. If your toppings are burning before the crust Is done, the stone isn't as hot as it should be.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I've had several conversations with a guy who makes some great pizza. He says the stone in his oven is about 900F, and (here's the big deal,) the air above the stone that is cooking the toppings is around 1400F. It only takes 2 weeks of pre-heating to get ready to cook.

Tho' the crust is nicely charred, and some of the toppings get crisp, I
    don't recall the cheese, mostly fresh mozz and gorgonzola, being brown.
    The basil leaves, thin slices of prosciutto, etc. do get crisped or
    blackened. His base is just olive oil, not a tomato sauce. Even at the
    heat at which he is cooking, these pizzas are rather lightly topped
    compared to many commercial pizzas.

I have measured the surface temp of just the platesetter at 680 when the dome therm said 450. Perhaps if you tried cooking on just the 'sitter, you would get high enough heat for a crisp crust, and  well heated toppings.

I think the only Egger that has approached a woodfired oven was fishlessman. If I recall correctly, he put a blower in the bottom, and put the pizza above a sand filled bowl. The flames from the lump curled over the top of the pizza, giving a dome temp of 1100F. The pizza came out really quick, but the heat was so intense that the dome bands began to expand and loosen.

• jmsmrdk
    Options
    I cook my pizza platesetter legs down, pizza stone on feet, dome at 750.  It's important to give the stone time to warm up. Mine goes in when I close the lid for the first time.
  • tgkleman
    Options
    It sounds like I haven't had the egg hot enough.  That, and the fact that my cheese might be adding to much moisture to the crust during the cook.  I'll let you know how it goes the next time.  Thanks for all of the ideas!
  • hogaholic
    Options
    I cook my pizza platesetter legs down, pizza stone on feet, dome at 750.  It's important to give the stone time to warm up. Mine goes in when I close the lid for the first time.
    +1    Use the BGE feet to elevate the stone off the platesetter.  This was something I wasn't doing until recently and it makes a big difference.  Hot air can then pass between the platesetter and pizza stone and get it hotter.  It also seems to recover quicker when you cook multiple pies.

I preheat my pizza stone in the indoor oven then transfer it to the egg using welding gloves.  I cooked pizza this past weekend and, while I was cooking at a dome temp around 550, the pizza had a lovely crisp crust and nicely toasted toppings.

If you are using frozen or chilled pizza make sure it is allowed to sit out and come to room temp prior to cooking.
    Jackson, Tennessee. VFL (Vol for Life)
  • 70chevelle
    Options

Margherita pizza from a wood fired oven will be a bit 'loose' in the middle. (ie:  not crispy)  A true margherita pizza has only san marzano tomatoes, fresh mozzerella, fresh basil (after the cook), and a drizzle of good olive oil (again, after the cook).  The dough is simply flour, salt, water and yeast.  Sugars & oils will burn very quickly at the high temps.