Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Using left over lump

rclark1187
rclark1187 Posts: 7
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
I just finished my first Boston Butt on the BGE. Came out great. Thanks to everyone for the help. How do I start my next fire with the left over lump charcoal?

Comments

• I mix old and new lump with almost every cook.  Knock the old ash off the used stuff, add some new lump over the top and start as usual.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• tnbarbq
    tnbarbq Posts: 248
    I use a small garden tool to rake the coals and let the ash fall through.  Then just add new lump and fire it up.
    Scooter 
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge
  • I sometimes get 3 cooks out of a load of lump without adding new. Depending on condition and amount left over, stir it up, clean it up, fire it up.

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I sometimes get 3 cooks out of a load of lump without adding new. Depending on condition and amount left over, stir it up, clean it up, fire it up.
    What gabriegger said......except not sure what clean it up is unless thats pile it up in Texan
    :-))
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• I mix old and new lump with almost every cook.  Knock the old ash off the used stuff, add some new lump over the top and start as usual.
    Same here. 
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • @ MIckey - Not sure what 'pile it up' in Texan means, but being the son of a Canadian Navy veteran, clean it up is exactly that.  Never leave a mess behind.  I know it is a bit much, but I clean the ash out after stirring up the old lump.  Perhaps that is why I've yet to have a problem getting my BGE up to temp in a hurry.  By the way, thanks for the tip I read in one of your earlier posts about not using the daisy wheel for any cook under 400 degrees.  Have been doing that since and am amazed at how simpler it is to stay on temp using only the bottom vent.

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• For me, if there's enough lump leftover from the last cook, I just use what's left - perhaps stir it a bit (though that's sort of superfluous now that I have the High-Que grate), and light the same way as I did when it was "new" lump.

But if I feel that there's not enough used lump to last for the entire cook, I'll top it off w/ new lump, stir (to mix old & new), and light.

Easy Peasy :-)
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    +1, HH
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • +1, HH
    +1
    +1 stike
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    edited February 2012

yep, stir it up, remove any rocks from Royal Oak. and add them to my collection at the end of the rain spout.

dump some new in, up to the bottom of the fire ring. and light it with the weed burner.

Unless I am doing a Hamburger for lunch, or a quick pork tenderloin, or boneless chicken breasts. then I just light it and go for it. a short wait for clear smoke as there are no VOC's then.

I have an XL. I clean out the bottom when the ashes get within about a inch and a half to to the fire grate.

The bottom of an XL will hold a lot of ash.

At that time I take it apart and take the shop vac to it.

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    If I mix new in and am using my chimney, I put the new in the bottom of the chimney and the old on top.  Gets the VOCs out of the new by the time I dump it into the egg.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • I use a small garden tool to rake the coals and let the ash fall through.  Then just add new lump and fire it up.
    Eggaxtly what I do.  I use one of those three prong little rakes to stir the ash all down.  If you don't keep the ash clear you will have trouble regulating the temperature.

Doc

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys