Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock Sunday--- pics included

Options
Chubbs
Chubbs Posts: 6,929
edited February 2012 in EggHead Forum
This afternoon I did a spatchcock chicken indirect on an elevated grid, with roasted potatoes and roasted elephant garlic for my wife and sister in law. This was my first spatchcock chicken, and I am very pleased with how it turned out. I will not be cooking beer car chicken anymore!!! It was by far the juiciest chicken I have ever had. I let it sit uncovered in the fridge for 24 hours and then applied a liberal coat of EVOO followed by Bad Byrons. The veggies roasted underneath the chicken and caught the juices for an hour. This was also the first time I have roasted elephant garlic partly because I have never seen it in the store--- I would highly suggest it if you have not done it. After roasting for around an hour, the garlic was soft and easy to spread on bread with butter. I also tossed the potatoes in the roasted garlic--- a huge hit. I attached some pics for you to see the cook.
Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013

Comments

• boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options
    Nice cook.
    Cookin in Texas
  • NightwingXP
    Options
    It must be a day for Spatchcock! I just took mine off the grill, also my first, and waiting for the wife to finish putting the kid to sleep. We will eat when she comes down. have it resting under foil now. Great looking cook! Do you have the AR kit from Ceramic grill store?
    Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!
  • JefCB01
    Options
    Guys...just finishing eating my very first Spatchcock as well.  Must be a national holiday or something...by far the best chicken I've cooked and probably best I've had
  • Chubbs
    Options
    Do you have the AR kit from Ceramic grill store?
    Nope, that is just a BGE grill extender.
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options
    Just cleaned up from a chicken and turkey. Pics didn't come out that good but the meal was great.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options
    Nice looking birds all around.

@Chubbs

With the platesetter, grid and raised grid I would imagine the chicken was sitting pretty high. Was it close to the dome?
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Chubbs
    Options
    Yeah, it was up there pretty high, but no issues. I was worried about that at first, but tried it and it worked fine. When I first closed the dome the thermometer hit the pouch of garlic, but I just refolded the pouch to compress it and it fit. My fear was that the veggies would burn if I didn't use platesetter. It all came out really well.
  • Gato
    Options
    I have seen people place the drip pan on the platesetter with the bge feet to keep it elevated a little. Then just the grate and chicken.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Chubbs
    Options
    Yeah, thought of that too, but that foil pan would sag in the middle and I didn't want it touching that hotass platesetter. So I went with the whole better safe than sorry.
  • Gato
    Options
    I liked the setup. Liked the garlic idea also. Looked great. Thanks
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Chubbs
    Options
    Thanks Gato. Yeah, the garlic was a nice touch. The potatoes tossed in that fresh garlic and some sea salt- really good. Needless to say, it was a lot of garlic. I am attempting to save some to add to a pizza later this week. Hopefully it keeps well.
  • Baysidebob
    Options
    I did a spachcocked chicken yesterday with jalapeno poppers direct on the top of an adjustable rig.  I have a very slight preference over the last one I did indirect.  Either way is great, cooks more quickly and more evenly than roasted and serves more easily.  Yup, spachcocked is the way to go!  My wife finds all sorts of uses for roasted garlic.  I hadn't occurred to me to roast garlic on the BGE.  Roasted garlic is on my BGE short-list!
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • NightwingXP
    Options
    I would like to know some opinions on the AR. I love the idea of getting one but the current sale price is $157. Tall order for me right now. Is it worth it and is using it all that good opposed to a plate setter. ( looking at the customer combo on Ceramic Grill Store website )
  • NightwingXP
    Options
    Ok, had to update too. I will NEVER EVER do a beer can chicken again! Cannot believe the difference in a Spatch and the flavor! Blown away by the flavor, tenderness and all around ease of making a Spatch. This BGE is starting to take over. Think my wife is gonna be upset that my egg will be getting more attention than her! :)
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    I really like the AR....I find it much more versatile than plate setter. Easy to do multiple level cooks, indirect is easy, allows for cooking above felt. Granted, all of those things are possible without spending $$ on AR, but it makes it all a snap.
  • NightwingXP
    Options
    I have seen some pics posted and it looks like the ultimate rig. Will just have a hard time floating that one past the misses. I spent $50 on a KJ heat deflector (dealers in my area do not have the plate setter in stock) but I just realized today that it is too big. I will be returning and getting my money back but still need another Benjy to buy that setup. Looks worth it though!
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    You wouldnt be disappointed.